• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics "Fine Tuning" suggestions?

First thing I did was lower the mouse sensitivity to 1.25/1.5 specimens aren't particularly quick and accuracy really pays off in Killing Floor, so having a high sensitivity really doesn't help :)

Graphics wise, depends on your machine. I tend to turn of uselss things like bloom, and I avoid anti aliasing like the plague cause I can't really notice the difference on high resolutions and it burns up loads of power on your graphics card. But ofc thats personal preference ;)

Upvote 0
mouse sensitivity depends on some factors.

There soft/mouses that can set it own sensitivity, also sensitivity depends on mouse hardware itself.

So it all depends.

Anyway, here is my settings (Mainly for Sharpshooter):
Game Sensitivity 1.75
Menus : 1.75
Mouse Smoothing Strength : 0.30
Mouse Acceleration : 0.00 // That's pretty useless imo. Might be good for firebug, but not for good SharpShooter.

Mouse Smoothing checked // check this to allow zed time slow down your mouse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stating what mouse sense you use ingame without saying how much DPI or what kinda mouse you have is kinda useless.
I have mx518, run at at max DPI (1000?) and ingame sense at 0.35. Thats still waaaay faster than the best fps players use in competetive games. (watch the best CS players use like half a meter and constantly lift the mouse cause they run out of space)

Edit: If you dont have a mouse with adjustable DPI, I highly recommend logitech mx518. Sure there are better mice on the market, but they cost 3 times more and break the first time they hit the floor. If you have a big hand and never drop the mouse, then get a Razer mouse. But be aware that they are expensive and break easily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
don't bother taking any recommendations for mouse sensitivity because each mouse has a different threshold for movement speed. As for gameplay, turn off anti-aliasing, lower all settings to medium, and get rid of all the pointless effects such as motion blur that just work against you. If you can't get at LEAST 30 fps turn off HDR lighting (but your flashlight will be useless). If you get at least 40+ fps and are a graphics wank then turn up texture detail so you can see all the weapons in their hi-res glory (sexiest beretta handgun I've ever seen in any game).

As for binds I personally (imho) recommend rebinding mouse2 from toggle irons to hold irons since you generally don't have them up for more than a second. set m3 to nades for fast tossing, drop weapons to g, drop dosh to 2 different buttons right next to each other (such as m & n) so you can drop dosh twice as fast, as put all attack as either m4/m5 whatever or a keyboard bind close to your movement keys, such as q or t. The auto-heal button can be farther away (my stalker compulsion means mine is ,) since you only press the button once every time it takes to grow a beard that could challenge Charles Darwin's in the ultimate battle for facial hair supremacy.

Also ingame voip is the kind of thing I can't say because of our glorious forums monitors for health and safety of public posts so I recommend binding macros for such buzzwords as 'fp', 'scrake', and 'TELL MY WIFE I LOVE HER'

Upvote 0
As of Monday (yesterday) i use this mouse:

Spoiler!

The 4 blue bars are DPI settings, and i use it on 2/4 with no weights in it.

I had to switch from MB4 quick irons to RMB quick irons because of the layout.

Upvote 0
Quick ironsights, especially for commando.

ESDF as opposed to WASD, Z as use (trader, opening doors), all items moved from 12345 to 23456 (to compensate for ESDF, reaching the 1 key for melee is difficult), A for self heal. Used to have Q be the "Medic!" call, along with W as "Stand still, I'm trying to heal you" voice/text, but now most of my keys are taken for specific mutators.

Oh, and enter for text chat. T for show/hide HUD.. helps for screenshots.

Upvote 0
Any sensitivity should be easy enough to get used to, some people might find turning it down helps them with accuracy though.

Besides mouse settings I think turning down the games graphics helps you play better and the game is less distracting and it doesn't feel so fast paced. Helps me get up to like 500 kills as a berserker on 6 man Normal mode lol.

Upvote 0
Just use whatever sensitivity is most comfortable. I personally use about 30.5cm for a 360 turn (aka 12 inches/360 for the Americans ;)), which is the same that I used in Quake, Unreal 2004, TF2, Call of Duty and pretty much every FPS game I've ever played. It's a bit on the low side for KF - a game that requires tons of quick 180 degree turns - but I have a big mouse pad and can make it work. I find it better to stay consistant over constantly switching to different sensitivities. So fool around a bit with it and use what you personally like best. If there was an optimal sensitivity there would be no need to tweak it because every game/mouse driver would default to it.

Also unless you use high sensitivity (< 18cm/360) in FPS DPI is a marketing scam. Most mice actually work best at low sensitivities; when I play I set my MX518 to 400dpi and Deathadder to 450dpi. It's helpful for RTS games but for FPS it really means nothing. So feel free to use whatever you like, and just because your mouse goes to 6000 DPI doesn't mean you should feel obliged to play at that and that it will make your game better.

For binds/settings, I stay pretty much vanilla. I'm a big esdf supporter but KF, along with L4D, is pretty much the only FPS I use wasd. :D Controls are pretty much default except I use F to drop weapon, mouse4 to throw grenades, and mouse5 for mumble/ventrilo with friends. Left shift is my microphone button but I hardly every talk in game. :p For settings, low graphics never really made it much easier for me so I keep most settings on high except for the 'bad' effects that hurt gameplay, such as weather and motion blur.

Also it is very, very important to turn mouse acceleration off! Aim improves from repetition and practice and accel throws everything off.

Upvote 0