• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Portal 2

I also intend to buy Portal 2, it looks great and is getting highy rated reviews from trusted sources (Received a [9] from in the Edge review). Games like Portal 2 should be celebrated as there are few truly innovative titles around in the sea of uninspired sequels.

However that doesn't mean that we can't be vocal in our disapproval for the overpriced DLC and the implications that this has for future titles. I think unwavering loyalty is a dangerous thing, if a company, albiet a well respected one, starts such practises then it's our duty to call them to task over it. Otherwise we can expect future DLC such as the L4D2 expansion to be expensive :p

It seems that if we aren't all embracing of Portal 2 then we are labelled pessimistic and cynical haters when we are only concerned consumers :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As long as customers will keep saying "It's only a DLC, its charmless, optional, etc", the game producers will release less valuable products with more of DLCs and try to suck more and more money from customer.
If I buy a book I don't have to spend another 10$ to get missing pages of story because I have all of them in cover. Also after reading a book I can sell that book as second hand. I cannot do this with games linked to steam, why? What's so different between books and games?

Reactions: Harb
Upvote 0
I don't buy unfinished games with day 0 DLC. That message isn't too hard to understand I think.

What? This game IS finished.:confused:

As long as customers will keep saying "It's only a DLC, its charmless, optional, etc", the game producers will release less valuable products with more of DLCs and try to suck more and more money from customer.

The difference here though, is the stock game is complete. There are no missing pieces. The story is completed. And every little detail is massaged for maximum effect. The sounds are spectacular. The writing is unparalleled in today's AAA title games. Every interaction with glados has a different, cleverly written joke. Clever plot twists.

You're crazy if you abandon this game purely on a blanket moral stance on dlc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Meh, i think both extremes are an overreaction.

Unless the game has obviously been gutted of content just so it can become DLC, like what happened with Mafia-2, then i don't really think this calls for a boycutt of the game, just don't buy the overpriced and silly DLC, if you bought the game but wont buy the DLC, that does send a clear message that you don't want to support this kind of DLC.
And i have yet to see or hear anything that suggests Portal 2 has been gutted in such a way (but i'm open to any evidence, if it exists), the DLC just looks like TF2 style stupidity like hats and stuff like that, with anims beeing the new thing apparently, it's stupid, but for this game in particular, quite harmless.

But contrarywise, it's shortsighted and foolhearty to say that we as consumers should just keep our mouthes shut about this.
We have seen DLC create some very desturbing trends in this industry, and we definately should be rasing questions, and make it clear to developers that there is a line that should not be crossed.
And yes, i think Valve needs to be told that they are standing uncomfortably clouse to that line right now, and are coming off as greedy and douchy with stuff like this, and ought to take a few steps back, pronto.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI releases several optional, cosmetic DLCs for Killing Floor. Nobody complains, it's ay okay.

Then a big developer does the same for their games, and all of a sudden it's "greedy" and "evil", whine whine, cry cry.

Problem, hypocrites?
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
That is easily one of the worst comments I've ever read here and that's saying a lot.

Destructive DLC? How is it destructive DLC store methods FOR OPTIONAL, COSMETIC DLC that has ZERO impact on the gameplay?!

i'm guessing 'destructive' refers to the fact many players are now using TF2 servers as a kind of trading post to negotiate hat deals, rather than actually contributing to the game itself.
In this case the impact on gameplay could indeed be deemed destructive.

Upvote 0
TWI releases several optional, cosmetic DLCs for Killing Floor. Nobody complains, it's ay okay.

Then a big developer does the same for their games, and all of a sudden it's "greedy" and "evil", whine whine, cry cry.

Problem, hypocrites?
faceg.gif

TWI released KF for 20$, then they added many new maps, weapons and game updates for free. Meanwhile they put purely cosmetic skins on sale.

Here we have 50$ product, with 5-7 hours SP campaign/co-op, tons of DLCs and no guarantee of any updates.

Can you see the difference?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TWI released KF for 20$, then they added many new maps, weapons and game updates for free. Meanwhile they put purely cosmetic skins on sale.

Here we have 50$ product, with 5-7 hours SP campaign/co-op, tons of DLCs and no guarantee of any updates.

Nope, there literally is no difference. They're both optional, cosmetic DLC. Everything else around it is irrelevant. The price and length and number of updates of the game have nothing to do with it. It changes nothing to the fact that both DLCs are 100% optional and cosmetic.

Sorry, but it's hypocritical and irrational to complain about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yes this is a point i wanted to raise - the character packs were a later addition and besides they were very reasonably priced - yet i still didn't really agree with them.
I only eventually bought them when they were massively reduced - being overcome by christmas spirit as a result of the update.

Personally i think they would have been more suited as unlocks for progress.
However, were they made by 3rd party modders i think charge would be fair enough, with a cut being a nice token reward for their efforts.

Now TF2 is similar as it has had a shed load of free content in the past, so although i think the shop is a total con (prices are unbelievable) i can accept it.

the difference with Portal 2 is that these paid for additions were created the same time as the game - so it's like 'pay a bit extra for the full version'

Everyone wants to make money - but this is so blatent, crude and frankly not what i thought valve was all about.

Upvote 0

Problem, hypocrites?
faceg.gif

It's a matter of content, the Tripwire DLC and this Valve DLC costs about the same amount of money, difference was, The Tripwire stuff would be a whole new playable charecter, and wasen't day-0, the Valve stuff is just one solitary idle animation or just a hat, and it is day-0.. not exactly great value for money there.

DLC is not inherintly bad, but how you do it and how you price it certainly does matter, i don't mind buying an upgrade if it's priced appropriately for the amount of content you get, and it isen't forced on me, or the game didn't get gutted just so it could be sold to me extra for more cost.

But Day-0 DLC is just crummy, if the content is allready made before the game is released, then why coulden't it be included in the game?
There was a time Devlopers tried to make their games as good as they could before releasing them (well mostly, games also got phoned in in the good old days), but now they are intentionally holding back, just so they can sell it off as DLC. But that doesen't mean we get the game any cheaper, infact we just got price hiked and pay 10 bux/euro's extra for games now.

And there's no way i'm paying 15 Euro's for just 4 maps, or 2 Euro's for a shrugging animation, don't be daft, the content is not worth the asking price, and is just plain greedy.

Show me a good expansion pack for a fair price, however, and my wallet just might fly open.

Reactions: SMIFF and SheepDip
Upvote 0