• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are you releasing before BF3 hits the shelves?.

I'm with you, RO2 was cool a year ago. But with BF 3 coming out at the end of the year yea they actually gave their customer base a release date. The BF series is good.

So RO2 was only cool just after GDC 2010 when we didn't know too much about it, and now you don't care even though we have seen the game and know far more about it? :confused:

Upvote 0
:rolleyes:

Give it a rest. Independent developers don't have the financial clout or the development manpower to develop games as fast as EA or Activision.

Red Orchestra:HOS was announced in August of 2009, HOW VERY DARE THEY SPEND 2 YEARS DEVELOPING!!!

That is nearly two years of waiting and if i'm correct only 1 video that isn't shaky cam footage...

You can understand people are getting frustrated and even bored when their isn't much but talk to get excited about.

Once the beta is out things will change but even that could be a way off...

Upvote 0
Well people should get a little perspective, they're so used to this annual-conveyor-belt games factory thing most of the bigger publishers have going I think they forget exactly how much work it takes, particularly if you are starting development from scratch as TWI did with HOS.

Whilst I agree once the beta is going it's likely we'll see more in-game stuff - until that time they are working on the game and (if you noticed) still being a part of this community posting on the forums etc...I'm pretty sure TWI doesn't have a dedicated media/advertising department to spend lots of time and money keeping people with short attention spans interested - the VP of the dev studio has started posting regular updates on what's happening in the annoucement section, I'd much rather have that than footage of an unfinished product that this community would tear apart for being "incorrect" in some way or another...

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumms
Upvote 0
Well people should get a little perspective, they're so used to this annual-conveyor-belt games factory thing most of the bigger publishers have going I think they forget exactly how much work it takes, particularly if you are starting development from scratch as TWI did with HOS.

Whilst I agree once the beta is going it's likely we'll see more in-game stuff - until that time they are working on the game and (if you noticed) still being a part of this community posting on the forums etc...I'm pretty sure TWI doesn't have a dedicated media/advertising department to spend lots of time and money keeping people with short attention spans interested - the VP of the dev studio has started posting regular updates on what's happening in the annoucement section, I'd much rather have that than footage of an unfinished product that this community would tear apart for being "incorrect" in some way or another...

Well maybe a media team is something they can invest in... If i'm correct Ramm is the lead coder aswell as the boss man? If this is the case why is the lead coder travelling around the world advertising the game when surely all other code work that is getting done at the office isn't getting the ok until hes back aswell as his own work load? Surely if he was back at base and a media team was doing the media side of things the game would be done quicker...

Reactions: Dr. Pierre Chang
Upvote 0
Well maybe a media team is something they can invest in... If i'm correct Ramm is the lead coder aswell as the boss man? If this is the case why is the lead coder travelling around the world advertising the game when surely all other code work that is getting done at the office isn't getting the ok until hes back aswell as his own work load? Surely if he was back at base and a media team was doing the media side of things the game would be done quicker...

Sounds like someone's jonesing for a marketing job at Tripwire.

YouTube - Bill Hicks on Marketing

Upvote 0
Yup pre ordered BF3 and im losing interest in this game im sick of bloody waiting by the time this is done we will have another BF or another COD.

BF3 = get money in for pre orders......count money......release mp footage...

I shall wait me thinks:cool:

Hopefully ROHOS will be worth the wait.....if not then it maybe time for my long long long gaming career to come to an end:mad:

Reactions: tofupunk
Upvote 0

I think you might not realise how small a developer TWI is.
They punch far above their weight - but they're still a small independent developer.

Upvote 0
Pff, TWI developers are so far above their punching weight they can left hand an IS2 on the frontal glacis.

And win.

( Yeah down vote me for that yah limey IS2 Lovers, because if you do you then downvote TWI; your first love. Haha, catch 22! You have to upvote me because you would never have discovered IS2 without TWI!, but by upvoting TWI you downvote IS2!)
( hehe that reminded me far too much of that guy from the princess bride in the poisoned drink scene. )

Upvote 0
:D Love that attitude...." I've gotta buy a game and gotta buy it now! BF3 will be the next best game evar!" Actually, game studios love that attitude even more.

I've long ago given up believing any hype any developer feeds me about how great their game is, it's the same with every game and every release. I can get my hopes up, but I'll reserve judgement and my $$ until it is out and the public is playing it. Only then can you see if it's a buggy piece of doo and how it really plays.

If Dice was making BF3 exclusively for PC and were able and willing to exploit all the features of the Frostbite 2 engine, I'd be drooling. As it is, I'll wait and see if it's just a ModernFailCompany clone.

While I have faith in TWI and am more than willing to wait for it, until it's out it's just vaporware loaded with a lot of assumptions. What I've seen so far makes me happy though. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well to be fair, maybe he enjoys it.

True but isn't that a little selfish?? I just think the job should be left to an expert so Ramm can do what he is best at which in turns kills two birds with one stone.

Now I know everyone talks about TW being this small company which is fair enough but thats not an excuse this time, on the first RO or KF you could say so but this time they are looking for a big audience so therefore need to pull out all the stops to make this a success.

Upvote 0
True but isn't that a little selfish?? I just think the job should be left to an expert so Ramm can do what he is best at which in turns kills two birds with one stone.

Now I know everyone talks about TW being this small company which is fair enough but thats not an excuse this time, on the first RO or KF you could say so but this time they are looking for a big audience so therefore need to pull out all the stops to make this a success.

Agreed, there is a reason BF and COD are so successful. Wrong, right or indifferent, the tactic they use to market and release games works.

If you can't beat them join them.

Upvote 0
Yeah, its only payroll. Only an additional 7.5% for fica, 2-4% for unemp, 5-10%workers comp. in addtion to the salary. Not to mention possible health insurance, nor the additional cost of having someone tend to the payroll of the additional person. Sure, hire another employee. Its only money and money grows on trees. No wait....better yet, hire an outside firm! Get a pro to do it! Send the money out of the company...that works! That way one doesn't have the hassle of having to put up with the idiosyncrasies of yet another tempermental employee. After all, what if they were another Yoshiro...:eek:

Seriously, if some of you ever become an employer or are ever meaningfully self-employed, you're going to be in for a rude awakening.....;) For small firms, some things really are best left up to the MFWIC....

A little EA info :(of course I doubt those saying TWI should do what EA does will comprehend dollar amounts)......

Electronic Arts
Publically traded as ETRS
Employees worldwide: 8,000 as of March 2010

In fiscal 2010, EA had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies, and five titles that each sold more than four million copies, including FIFA 10, Madden NFL 10, Need for Speed SHIFT, The SIMS 3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Market Cap. (Mil) $6,769.90
Shares Out (Mil) 334.32

CEO, CFO, and NEO salaries and total compesation:
Spoiler!

Hell, I'd be happy just to be on the Board of Directors
Spoiler!

And this JUST in from FORBES:

Battlefield 3 Ramping Up $100M Ad Campaign to Dethrone Call of Dutyhttp://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/...gn-to-dethrone-call-of-duty/?partner=yahootix

Yeah, jump in the middle of that ****, TWI. I double dare you......:p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Now I know everyone talks about TW being this small company which is fair enough but thats not an excuse this time

Why do you need an "expert" to show a game at conventions? And who exactly is more of an expert on the subject matter anyway?

The footage we've seen has had Ramm as well as a few other members of the team talking about the footage, expecting them to just chain themselves to their PC's until the game is finished is just ridiculous.

It's not as if they've wasted months of man hours attending conventions - and they're probably made a lot of friends (or connections) doing it themselves.

BF and CoD might be more successful, but do you have any idea how much money is spent plugging them shoving them in your face?

The launch budgets alone are into the hundreds of millions of dollars - and that's not even including development costs.
You really need to grasp the scale of the operation of the larger publishers and dev houses and the resources they have at their disposal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually I own two, and I've never told a potential customer "oh I'm a small company there's no telling when I'll be done" I damn sure never told one to shut the hell up were done when were done. I will probably still buy their game and I'm sure it will be good, but there is always better. It comes down to how they sell the product. It can be the greatest game ever, but if no one is out selling it, and Getting people pumped. "Yea RO2 open beta May 5 HOOOORAAA preorder now" It WORKS. "Not shut the **** up quit asking" I mean really. Or just tell people it won't be out til next year.

Upvote 0
Yeah, its only payroll. Only an additional 7.5% for fica, 2-4% for unemp, 5-10%workers comp. in addtion to the salary. Not to mention possible health insurance, nor the additional cost of having someone tend to the payroll of the additional person. Sure, hire another employee. Its only money and money grows on trees. No wait....better yet, hire an outside firm! Get a pro to do it! Send the money out of the company...that works! That way one doesn't have the hassle of having to put up with the idiosyncrasies of yet another tempermental employee. After all, what if they were another Yoshiro...:eek:

Seriously, if some of you ever become an employer or are ever meaningfully self-employed, you're going to be in for a rude awakening.....;) For small firms, some things really are best left up to the MFWIC....

A little EA info :(of course I doubt those saying TWI should do what EA does will comprehend dollar amounts)......

Electronic Arts
Publically traded as ETRS
Employees worldwide: 8,000 as of March 2010

In fiscal 2010, EA had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies, and five titles that each sold more than four million copies, including FIFA 10, Madden NFL 10, Need for Speed SHIFT, The SIMS 3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Market Cap. (Mil) $6,769.90
Shares Out (Mil) 334.32

CEO, CFO, and NEO salaries and total compesation:
Spoiler!

Hell, I'd be happy just to be on the Board of Directors
Spoiler!

And this JUST in from FORBES:

Battlefield 3 Ramping Up $100M Ad Campaign to Dethrone Call of Dutyhttp://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/...gn-to-dethrone-call-of-duty/?partner=yahootix

Yeah, jump in the middle of that ****, TWI. I double dare you......:p

Actually I own two, and I've never told a potential customer "oh I'm a small company there's no telling when I'll be done" I damn sure never told one to shut the hell up were done when were done. I will probably still buy their game and I'm sure it will be good, but there is always better. It comes down to how they sell the product. It can be the greatest game ever, but if no one is out selling it, and Getting people pumped. "Yea RO2 open beta May 5 HOOOORAAA preorder now" It WORKS. "Not shut the **** up quit asking" I mean really. Or just tell people it won't be out til next year.

Winners are winners and losers are losers period. Every thing in between in an excuse. I like the way Tripwire develops games and I'm all for them, but to compete with big dev teams they need to get their game out there. Oh and mybe a hair cut. I'm just throwing it out there. LOL

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Well i like the smaller more intimate independant studio mentality that make it almost seem like a family buisiness.
and besides, i'd rather hear someone directly involved - and therefore more genuinly passionate than some gibbering figurehead like that prat sion lenton.

How i do kinda see what you mean though i would be tempted to be investing in coders/animators/artists rather than media types - my only fear of HoS i guess if it occupies a middle ground wilderness where it's not really hardcore and simlike enough for our tastes and not slick and polished enough for the new ppl that it is hoped are attracted to the game -

In light of where i believe HoS is heading i think it's important the game is slick and polished, and that requires man-hours.

Reactions: Hypno Toad
Upvote 0
I think the TWI devs coming out to do PR stuff is PART of the advertising and persona and reputation TWI is building. We gamers are all very used to nice painted face pretty girls and doofus marketing guys who stream on some line of huey that they were instructed to say with good enthusiasm. I realize that a lot of companies have started letting devs out of the bag occasionally to do PR stunts but never to the level that TWI does. I feel that this direct ,no middle man to muddle the water, communication adds validity and credibility to TWI in the eyes of their fans and new arrivals. So in this case not having the $$ to throw at a marketing guy fits in with the reputation that TWI has built so far just fine...

Not to mention it also often means we get an honest opinion out of the developers, and one that is current and up to date.

edit: boogery dogbadger basically beat me to say a lot of the same stuff... kudos ya darn ninjah...

Upvote 0