• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More Realistic Environment - Fire, Smoke and Dust

DAMNEMESIS

Dec 18, 2010
Argentina

Hello!

I've noticed when viewing videos of the GDC that the environment is too "clean" and "decontaminated".

Would be good to add more smoke, fire and dust into the atmosphere, this would give more credibility and immersion.

Would give more coverage to units moving through the smoke as they obscure the view of the enemy.

I leave a couple of pictures to see that I speak:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english! :D

Sounds good to me, but it will probably be kind of bad for performance (fps count) and the people with less powerful hardware will probably have to turn it off, so they will have the advantage of seeing through it.

I didn't think about that...

but if possible I would love to see more smoke and dust in the environment, and have it linger on screen for a little longer. I like the sun, just that the environment needs a bit more dirt.

It would be best imo if the map starts like it is in the videos, but the battle kicks up dust, dirt and smoke so that it looks like the pictures by the end of the map.

Upvote 0
I didn't notice in the trailers, but at the very least if there was some dust kicked up by firing armor or shooting light weapons while prone, it'd be great.

In ARMA, the dust created while firing is sometimes the easiest way to spot enemy firing at long range. I really like it, anything that gives away your position, makes you much more careful.

Upvote 0
It's not that every map would have that kind of look, but if there's a lot of ruins and fires, I could see that. Also, I see how the dust gets picked up by a lot of heavy fire and the smoke from smoke grenades lingering.

Yes. It really depends on the situation and size of battle. In the deepest winter somewhere in the stepe ? Maybe not so much smoke and fires.

But in Kursk for example the air force had serious trouble to provide any support for the ground units because it was all so heavily blocked by the dust and smoke from burning vehicles, artillery fire and anything else you can imagine. But here you had more then 1 Million Soldiers fight each other. So that explains a lot. The same for Berlin. Certain parts of the city had a lot of smoke because of burning buildings. I would imagine parts of Stalingrad are the same. With some ruins and much smoke. But with more time it would disappear and buildings would stop to burn and only have the ruins left standing there.

There are countless of pictures from battles with a lot of smoke and some where everything is pretty clear and visible

battle%20of%20stalingrad.jpg

battle-stalingrad-5.jpg

1942-BattleofStalingradSnipers-01.jpg

423_Radtke.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On some maps there could probably be quite a lot of smoke etc. and less on some maps? As Crni-Wuk stated it depends quite much on the scenario and as jalex3 said effects like these in addition to great soundscape makes a really immersive game.

I also like what LugNut said about the dust from firing weapons etc.

Reactions: jalex3
Upvote 0
As long as its not as ridiculously overdone as say, in BFBC2, where lowering the effects settings gives the player an advantage by removing blinding HDR effects and generally making it far easier to see over distance, i.e. Atacama desert etc.

I pretty much know that this isn't the case with RO2, but overdone effects like that can be very annoying, especially when switching them off gives the person a massive advantage over others.

Upvote 0