• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Using the M14EBR

So I've been playing KF for some time now and have a lvl6 SS and I'm after some pointers/advice with the M14.

Now my preferred setup is 9mm for trash, HC for a get out of jail card and xbow for the big sods. But I believe in versatility and adapting to a situation. So since it's implementation I've being trying to get to grips with the M14, and I just can't get it. I'm wondering if I've just not figured it out yet so I thought I'd jump on here and see what you guys recommend.

To me the M14 feels bulky and inaccurate. The sights dominate the screen and the laser is next to useless for on the fly head shots from the hip. I've done better with the 9mm/HC just by knowing where the centre of my screen is. It's unfortunate because I find myself spamming it more than making them count. It's almost like the iron sight itself is off. Yet I know it's a good gun, I've seen it used really effectively. But it might as well be an expensive club for all it does for me. So do you guys have any tips or tricks?

So I've been playing KF for some time now and have a lvl6 SS and I'm after some pointers/advice with the M14.

Now my preferred setup is 9mm for trash, HC for a get out of jail card and xbow for the big sods. But I believe in versatility and adapting to a situation. So since it's implementation I've being trying to get to grips with the M14, and I just can't get it. I'm wondering if I've just not figured it out yet so I thought I'd jump on here and see what you guys recommend.

To me the M14 feels bulky and inaccurate. The sights dominate the screen and the laser is next to useless for on the fly head shots from the hip. I've done better with the 9mm/HC just by knowing where the centre of my screen is. It's unfortunate because I find myself spamming it more than making them count. It's almost like the iron sight itself is off. Yet I know it's a good gun, I've seen it used really effectively. But it might as well be an expensive club for all it does for me. So do you guys have any tips or tricks?

In fact M14 is jsut as accurate as any other weapons (except dual 9mm or handcannon).
If you know where the centre of the screen is, with the help of laser sight, you should do just fine with M14. May be you need to get use to it tough. Because it is way bigger than 9mm or handcannon.

And yes, the iron sight is off-center and SUCKS. Try not to use it.

Upvote 0
The iron sites on the M14 are slightly off (is a post with screen shots somewhere), also the LAR is a better choice since the balance patch, it costs less, is easier to aim with, and will kill a FP with less shots. However you can headshot the FP with the M14 without raging it, much like a zerker does with the Axe or Katana.

If you don't have it yet here is the link for the testmap, good for testing weapons and other things.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2cBMgBzX/KF-Testmap1pV21.html

Here is the link to the thread as well.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=47257

Last edited:
Reactions: sph34r
Upvote 0
what?!? No rant :(:(:(...;)

Fine...

Blah blah, terrible ironsights look like a fork, blah blah, barely zooms in when ironsight aiming...blah blah bodyshot damage is a joke, takes multiple hits to kill crawlers...blah blah...doesn't feel like T3 weapon, ect.

TL;DR, the thing feels like a BB gun and hits like a .22.

Upvote 0
Fine...

Blah blah, terrible ironsights look like a fork, blah blah, barely zooms in when ironsight aiming...blah blah bodyshot damage is a joke, takes multiple hits to kill crawlers...blah blah...doesn't feel like T3 weapon, ect.

Thanks, the world makes sense again ;)

Upvote 0
It's underpowered but it's a little stronger than some people give it credit for, people use it too often for bodyshots when it's much better at close and medium range headshots, if you get really good at SS it takes little effort to aim for the head and you can just run around instant killing the majority of enemies really quickly, you can even down scrakes and fleshpounds by yourself if you have good headshot aim and are past level 3 or 4.

I think they should just buff the bodyshot damage a little bit and leave it as it is.

Upvote 0
It's underpowered but it's a little stronger than some people give it credit for, people use it too often for bodyshots when it's much better at close and medium range headshots, if you get really good at SS it takes little effort to aim for the head and you can just run around instant killing the majority of enemies really quickly, you can even down scrakes and fleshpounds by yourself if you have good headshot aim and are past level 3 or 4.

I think they should just buff the bodyshot damage a little bit and leave it as it is.

I disagree; its supposed to discourage bodyshots at all costs (or risk *shudder* the old, old, m14), but encourage powerful, continous headshots. All they need to do is fix the sights and tweak the gun towards making it less of a specialty weapon.

Upvote 0
I disagree; its supposed to discourage bodyshots at all costs (or risk *shudder* the old, old, m14), but encourage powerful, continous headshots. All they need to do is fix the sights and tweak the gun towards making it less of a specialty weapon.

As soon as you get use to it, M14 rapes everything. Just played a game with a good M14 user, every fleshpound and scrake is a joke. I really dont think long rage is its weakness because on nearly NO maps you really "need" to shoot zed from that far away. May be only farm or mountain pass, but this two map is really really easy anyway. People should be learning how to aim without crosshair from the first day they play kf. So with the help of laser sight, I really dont see the problem.

May be jsut start playing with it first. I see many people here dont use M14 and say it is bad before even try. Yes, you may die A LOT when starting to use it. But this is EXCALLY how you become better, through dying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why use the M14 when the LAR is more powerfull (headshot and body shot), easier to aim with, and much cheaper?

Because LAR ONLY HAVE 80 shots? And M14 have 160?
Because you can just fit M14 into your loadout after buying LAR?
Because you cant really miss when using LAR?
Because LAR need longer time to realod?
Because LAR only have 10 shots in one clip while M14 have 20?
Because M14 have laser sight to help you aim?
Because M14 kill fps easier than LAR?

Reactions: Starsky
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, it's not just me then.

The iron sites on the M14 are slightly off (is a post with screen shots somewhere), also the LAR is a better choice since the balance patch, it costs less, is easier to aim with, and will kill a FP with less shots. However you can headshot the FP with the M14 without raging it, much like a zerker does with the Axe or Katana.

If you don't have it yet here is the link for the testmap, good for testing weapons and other things.

http://www.2shared.com/file/2cBMgBzX/KF-Testmap1pV21.html[url]http://www.2shared.com/file/2cBMgBzX...tmap1pV21.html[/URL]
Legend, I've been hunting for that map.

Exactly what I kept thinking
Most posts I see regarding the M14 have been the useal two sides of the argument as a result of the SS nerf. Not been around long enough to pick up on others complaints.

I can run around an score consistant headshots on suicidal and hard (not done much on HoE yet) with the 9mm and HC on trash without iron sighting. As for Scrakes, single shot from xbow, or FPs a couple. So the only real option is take into account it's quirks. And that will result in dying a lot, lol. We'll see.

TL;DR, the thing feels like a BB gun and hits like a .22. (Thanks Nanostrike)

Upvote 0
Because LAR ONLY HAVE 80 shots? And M14 have 160?
Because you can just fit M14 into your loadout after buying LAR?
Because you cant really miss when using LAR?
Because LAR need longer time to realod?
Because LAR only have 10 shots in one clip while M14 have 20?
Because M14 have laser sight to help you aim?
Because M14 kill fps easier than LAR?

Good points, all though they could be debated.;)

Myself, I find the LAR better, but people have their own ways of doing things. In the end I guess it boils down to what works best for you.:)

Upvote 0
If it came down to using either gun, I'd pick the LAR, but the M14 isn't useless. I'm pretty sure the sights have been fixed, as I was playing with it a couple days ago and doing just fine by aiming with the sights.

The large amount of weight makes it a bit awkward too. If you're a sharpshooter with an M14 your only other option is really the LAR.

So, pretty much, the M14 is just weird. There never really has been a good way to fix the gun without changing it completely. But after all the time spent on the damn thing, I'd say leave it. Ranked as "usable" imo.

Upvote 0
If the M-14 wasn't a "Headshot Weapon" with terrible ironsights...and wasn't more effective by spamming laser-aimed shots at near-point-blank than actually taking the time to aim, it would be decent.

It's not, though. It honestly feels like a modded up SCAR. Removed sight, added laser. Removed bodyshot damage, added a ton of headshot damage. Removed full auto, turned Ironsight into a fork.

Bottom line: It's a weapon that is GARBAGE without headshots...that seems to take every route it can do prevent you from getting headshots. And it feels inferior to the Lever Action Rifle in almost every way, INCLUDING the feeling of power when it fires.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
I was messing about again today and thought I'd give it another go. In solo, it seemed fine. Other than the fact I couldn't see anything due to the gun's *** filling my screen, headshots seemed to be what they should have been.

So I log onto a onlinegame (ping was ~70) and I couldn't do it. Not one headshot it felt like. I ended up for the rest of the wave using my 9mm and HC.

I'm beginning to thing the bloody thing is toying with me now. :mad:

Upvote 0