• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-DeathPitFinal

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW... HATEME!!!!! THATS MY OLD ACCOUNT CHECK THE DAMN POST DATE

Ah, I was actually wondering why this guy (aka you) sorta stole your idea.

However I still stand by the main argument which is you should never release your first map. In your case things went quite the opposite unlike with 99% of the mappers we've seen here who mostly release that one "first map", go directly to whitelisting thread and it turns out thats also their last map or perhaps they release a ton of other crappy half-finished maps afterwards but never actually put any effort in their maps. Im just fed up of them, Im glad you turned out right. Good job. *Taps Fel in the back*

But yeah I suppose I got owned there.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMIFF and J.D.*
Upvote 0
you do know i made this map in like 30 min right just to warm myself back up from not mapping for like 2 years

Yes I do, which actually bothered me in the first place. I mean, Im sure even you can admit that this "I made this in half an hour, and Im done with it" is kind of the wrong attitude when it comes to mapping and especially releasing the work :rolleyes:. In your case you actually finished this first map later on and the newest version is indeed a quality map, but like I said in about 99% of the time the new mappers just abbandon their work right after releasing it OR they make a bunch of other unfinished maps and release them when they get bored of it without actually polishing it up (aligning textures, resizing models, improving pathing... etc).

But just try to ignore what I said and imagine it in some other topic which deserved it more than this one.

Oh christ, this was unexpectedly hilarious xD

Im glad you liked it xD, I got an infraction for it too.

Upvote 0
A map is a map is a map..... doesnt give you the right to talk to mappers like that. who give your the right do decide how much detail is in someones map

Its not just about the detail, its EVERYTHING that makes the map work and look like you put some effort in it.

For example, we have a mapper called Bob.

1. Bob bases his "first map" off someone elses map because he couldnt be bothered to start from the scratch. This is ok, if he has a permission from the original author and credits him accordingly.

2. He starts by adding a few random models he found from the library, which look cool but dont actually fit in the map. This is still ok as not everyone can be a perfect designer.

3. He adds some new rooms or areas. He puts up a texture which looks cool but doesnt fit in to the rest of the map and is badly resized and aligned. BUT, this is still ok as not everyone can be a perfect designer.

4. Then we come to the point where he is supposed to add new paths and spawns for the rooms and areas he added, but he cant be bothered to look into it and instead either doesnt add any new paths or just throws a random "apple" in the middle hoping for it to work. He is so proud of his "first map" that he decides to throw it straight to the whitelisting thread, skipping all testing entirely.

5. The map passes. But later turns out the pathing he couldnt be bothered to look into fails, and the specimens are unable to move like they should in the rooms/areas he just added. The map is unplayable. Yet, its hanging on the whitelist because this fault was left unnoticed due lack of time and resources from the developers (note Im not blaming TW for anything here). Why didnt the developers have time to check the map properly? Because they are forced to go through tons of maps every week, of which more than 50% fail because the mapper didnt go through the effort of testing his map first and making sure it works. Even the community itself is needed to test the maps and even their time doesnt seem to be enough.

This is what bothers me, not putting enough effort on the maps to make them both playable and enjoyable by other people not just yourself. A map can have horrible textures and what not, but if the map is enjoyable and working, there is no problem.

I really hope you can ignore the fact that this was sort of directed to the former you, because Im sure that - want it or not - its affecting your judgement. I mean hell, if someone posted something like this to me I couldnt help to feel that Ive been someone betrayed. When I saw this "Ok i made it twice as hard by adding 4 more zombie spawns and 2 more entrances so no more easy killing" I actually thought some idiot stole your map, added new spawns for it and messed the textures. These are the kind of people I cant stand.

Upvote 0
what is considered enjoyable to you is completely different to someone else. Get off your high horse like your some big shot who can tell people how to map on a stupid forum. I can see you head getting bigger and bigger. gonna start to piss me off with your "elitism"

This is what bothers me, not putting enough effort on the maps to make them both playable and enjoyable by other people not just yourself. A map can have horrible textures and what not, but if the map is enjoyable and working, there is no problem.

Its all matter of opinion and a ton of mappers put their heart into their maps and because they arnt good enough for YOU, you shoot them down. Well im going to keep reporting your trool posts to newer mappers casue your not ONLY telling them off, your hurting the community by driving away new mappers.

Yes im standing up for the noob mappers

FYI I find 90% of the maps UN-Enjoyable to play, but you dont find me trolling the posts and threads telling them to get with the program just becasue I find them not to be fun. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

No... im not posting this cause you commented on my maps. I know i can map circles around most people, so any negitive comment made i brush off. Knowing this fact I laugh at negative comments on my maps or my abilities.

Im just tried of your attitude towards other mapers
, and its time someone with "meaning" stands up for them. I will report EVERY negative comment you make on someones maps, weather your my friend or not

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im just tried of your attitude towards other mapers , and its time someone with "meaning" stands up for them.

The thing you fail to understand is there is a difference beetween "noob" mappers and the type I was talking about. A noob mapper doesnt know how to do certain things but he TRIES, even asks for help and ideas here in the forums. A mapper who simply wants his map released because he was so excited about his first map throws it directly to the whitelisting thread without even TRYING to fix the problems in it or even bothering to make a topic for it in the forums or anywhere. He just wants that map on the whitelist so he can call himself a mapper. About 3 out of 5 maps are like this.

And I dont even consider myself a pro mapper, in fact Im a noob mapper. Yet, all my attempts at mapping have taken DAYS, not a few minutes. If you arent prepared to spend some time on the map dont bother mapping, thats my opinion and Im sure pretty much everyone would agree with me but dont want to get into a fight or are afraid of infractions.

If Im being honest, it seems YOU are the one whos acting like a "big shot" on your high horse thinking you are better than everyone else because you can map (even tho its s281 whos done all the geometry mostly), defending the "noobs" and completely ignoring the entire idea behind my posts.

If you cant see anything wrong about releasing broken maps and therefor delaying the whitelisting of other maps by weeks, then I guess I have nothing more to say to you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.