• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Present from the Propaganda department

lyosha

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 13, 2008
Kent, United Kingdom
I heard about this movie pretty much right when it came out, and it looked awesome.

I would be watching the youtube version (glad to see theres one with english subtitles now) you gave us right now, but I've promised myself that I wouldn't watch it until I got the physical DVD from a good (Russian) friend of mine that is sending me the movie from Moscow for my birthday next month...

Upvote 0
One thing I love about recent Russian (or should one say Soviet again soon? :p) productions is that they are pretty accurate equipment wise and I was positively surprised that the Germans actually spoke normal German (except the one or two odd ones).

What I don't like about recent Russian productions is that they took a couple of the worst traits of bad film-making.

1) Over-dramatising everything.
2) Too much usage of Children and Women to dramatise even further, beyond infinity.
3) Still remaining with the old Soviet style propaganda film.
4) Pure black&white portrayal.
5) Raping history/movies/books/dreams by trying to alter them to fit the director's vision of a crappy movie.
6) THIS IS SPARTAAAA!!!

I skipped straight to the fighting scenes because after one minute I grew tired of women and children getting blown to pieces for nearly 10 minutes. Cutting that part down to 2 minutes with a one or two women and children getting blown up gets the point across just fine, no need to take a sledgehammer and try to punch it into me. You see, getting a point across more subtle is always better, making me watch this splosion fest for that long just stresses my eyes and causes acute weariness of the "evil, evil Germans" organ, ultimately resulting in organ failure and need for a transplant... but more on that later.

Once past the bombardment the Germans pretty much committed every war-crime possible, again it's done in such a ridiculous amount that it just gets annoying and boring. Yes, yes, I get it, Germans are evil, now please stop making the poor actors jump on top of each other at the end of a tunnel. I hate children, why is this film filled with them? They serve no purpose what-so-ever, apart from underlining the statement of all Soviets either being innocent, nice little children (who unfortunately have the habit of getting blown to small pieces); scared, worried, beautiful and innocent women (who unfortunately have the habit of getting blown to somewhat larger pieces); or loving, caring men that only want to protect their family. Unfortunately (or should I say "gladly"?), my "evil, evil Germans" organ failed half way through all this crap, resulting in all guilt and shock immediately bouncing off my mental shield, resulting in a true "LOL" reaction.

THIS IS BREEEEST!!!
This is so absolutely ridiculous that I simply refuse to comment it, but the rest of the battle-scenes were actually quite ok (anything that doesn't involves people charging whilst screaming "SPART- erm, I mean BREEEEEST!"), again outstanding equipment used, The Pz.III looked pretty good and the 45mm M1937 PAK was the first gun in a film I remember being loaded. The end was 100% clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I don't like about recent Russian productions is that they took a couple of the worst traits of bad film-making.

1) Over-dramatising everything.
2) Too much usage of Children and Women to dramatise even further, beyond infinity.
3) Still remaining with the old Soviet style propaganda film.
4) Pure black&white portrayal.
5) Raping history/movies/books/dreams by trying to alter them to fit the director's vision of a crappy movie.

come to oz. not only do we have people doing #5 making crappy australian rehashes of tv shows (forget federov's dubbing problems, I'm talking wasting money on remaking good shows with australian actors and terrible writers :eek:), we out-do them on #3 and #4 as well, you should see how the war's being reported :p

Upvote 0
PS: Would somebody be willing to become an organ donor for me? After watching this I really need a new "evil, evil Germans" organ, else I'll never be shocked at how evil ze Churmans really were, let alone feel guilty that my country was fighting on their side.

War is hell of course all sides had to do what they had to do, and if civilians were in a way ....
But there is nothing wrong in feeling guilty for your ancestors and what they have done. It's also good to remember the evil that they have done just in order of prevention it. So Russians should not forget Finland and rapes in Berlin for instance and Germans should remember cannibalism in Stalingrad for a start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
War is hell of course all sides had to do what they had to do, and if civilians were in a way ....
But there is nothing wrong in feeling guilty for your ancestors and what they have done. It's also good to remember the evil that they have done just in order of prevention it. So Russians should not forget Finland and rapes in Berlin for instance and Germans should remember cannibalism in Stalingrad for a start.

You obviously don't get the point.

Either that or you are
faceg.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I personally enjoyed it. Even the youtube subtitles were good enough for me to understand what was going on. Though the film was overly dramatic at times(German claps and then shoots the accordion guy. Poor accordion player. Heartless German:rolleyes:)

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0