• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Concern about grain elevator

I think that it does, it has to be build every time you change the lighting, and it takes a few hours( in my computer), but they've got enough time :troll:

If the unreal demo they show can be calculated dynamically in real time with the newest cards, it should be able to work with the older cards if the thing stays frozen (at least in theory).

I'm not saying: "this thing must work one way or another", but I'm getting very disappointing attitudes of: "this thing will never work, so we won't even try" where there should be the more constructive attitude of: "we'll look into ways to make it work, but can't promise anything".

Discarding something as impossible right away is the lazy way out, and it doesn't help innovation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well if its frozen, the computer shouldn't be calculating new vectors of light and shadows and all that stuff all the time.

Actually freezing the light means baking stuff in. Basically that would require a map to be compiled so all the dynamic stuff becomes static basically. Its not as easy as it sounds, and compiling a map takes longer than people want to wait.

So if you want different settings for now every setting would probably need its own separate map file. This increases bandwidth and file sizes of maps.

Which was why I hoped for basically maps with slight alternations so rather than redoing everything from scratch, you might be able to make say 3 snow maps with new paths and destruction in the time of 1 map from scratch.

Upvote 0
Actually freezing the light means baking stuff in. Basically that would require a map to be compiled so all the dynamic stuff becomes static basically. Its not as easy as it sounds, and compiling a map takes longer than people want to wait.

So if you want different settings for now every setting would probably need its own separate map file. This increases bandwidth and file sizes of maps.

Which was why I hoped for basically maps with slight alternations so rather than redoing everything from scratch, you might be able to make say 3 snow maps with new paths and destruction in the time of 1 map from scratch.

Well, I'm not saying its easy, and whatever methods could be used, being multiple map versions, or overhauling the engine, or whatever, at this point it doesn't look like TWI wants to be bothered with it.

Maybe with RO3 then.

Upvote 0
I too would agree that the first released shots with bright sunny day worked well for that map. Historically not many photographs exist but here are a few:

Spoiler!

Source

Here is a pic taken in the area on the 17th September 1942, clear skies it seems!

Spoiler!

Source

And here is another one from September 1942 near the area again, clear skies too:

Spoiler!

Source

So by all accounts, clear skies, dry week of fighting but certainly a lot of smoke too.

Upvote 0