• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Appeal to TWI about artillery

Tiger2

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2008
I find point and click artillery inconsistent with the nature of RO. Here is a suggestion for artillery:

When the leader takes out a map and clicks anywhere on a map where he wants artillery to fall he has to also specify angle (i.e. 45 degrees). Based on the setting, the rounds will overshoot, undershoot or fall on target.

The commander will aslo have information where the mortars are positioned relative to the battlefield and how far away they are (i.e. 2 km away). The geograhpical positions of mortars will be varied for each new round so that it is impossible to know a set angle for an area with hindsight after playing a round once.

Last edited:
This would lead to an insane amount of teamkills.:eek:

No. Firstly you can have training. Secondly each artillery piece will work by a formula where an angle setting = range. If somebody TKs, it will be the same as now, they are kicked/removed from CO role and somebody else takes it.

But as a RO fan you have to admit that this finally adds a learning curve and tactical elements into the use of artillery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But as a RO fan you have to admit that this finally adds a learning curve and tactical elements into the use of artillery.

Of course, but it will STILL result in loads of teamkills, as RO doesn't offer the possibility to stay 1km away from incoming arty.

Now in game like ArmA it's a different thing, we abstain from using an artillery computer and use our own range-tables we have calculated.

Makes everything way more interesting and challenging and also ends in mortar support taking ca 5 minutes as opposed to 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Imagine how satisfying it will be to land artillery right on the tank's turret from skill and experience. You know the guns are 7.5 km away from the tank by adding up the distance from the tank on the map + the distance outside of the map to the guns. You select a setting i.e. 37 degrees and the rounds fall. Note that the rounds can completely fly over the map and land outside of the map if a wrong setting is specified.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
Imagine how satisfying it will be to land artillery right on the tank's turret from skill and experience. You know the guns are 7.5 km away from the tank by adding up the distance from the tank on the map + the distance outside of the map to the guns. You select a setting i.e. 37 degrees and the rounds fall. Note that the rounds can completely fly over the map and land outside of the map if a wrong setting is specified.

I understand what you are saying and I know how satisfying it is, but RO simply isn't the game for this kind of stuff.

Play ArmA2 if you want this, but in RO it's just going to result in a lot of TK's, kicks and frustration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is a different version of my artillery ranging system which gives assistance to the player:

The CO clicks on the map where he wants the rounds to fall and a rough angle setting is produced for him by the computer. With this setting the rounds will not necessarily fall exactly on the target area. The CO can slightly adjust this measure (i.e increase/decrease by 1-2 degrees) or leave it as it is. The more skilled players can work out what exact setting is needed depending on range and always get the rounds on the right spot. This can be used for public games, but for private clan games no assistance is needed for the player.

EDIT: Artillery can also be refused to the CO if there are too many friendlies close to the target area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It could easily be abused.

Someone can mark a spot, and purposefully overshoot to hit an area he can't yet mark with artillery.

The reason TWI made arty marking done with binoculars (besides making it easier), rather than grid references, is so you can't start artying right outside the spawn exit from the start of the round. You need to be able to see where your target in order to mark it.

With your system, you could simply mark off an intended hidden target, and overshoot with the angle to hit your intended hidden target.

Upvote 0
I could be wrong, but wouldn't a normal process be that the commander puts in a request for artillery and if approved, its the guys (way) behind the lines manning the guns that are responsible for placing the arty where it was called for?

I assume we are skipping the spotting request and correction and going straight into FFE (fire for effect)

Upvote 0
Nicholas, that is not what he said. We are talking about setting an angle for the guns to fire at. What you are using (mortars/guns) plays no importance in this thread.

But like the guy said its not the commanders job to angle artillery, he just says where on the map, in fact the squad leaders say where and all the commander does is go up to the radio and say a bunch of stuff in Russian or German.

Some guy behind the lines does the angling, the arty system is already a little unrealistic albeit necessary.

Upvote 0