• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

His point is valid and we all have acknowledged or understood that. It still doesn't really change the fact that once you bring up that argument it also implies you're willingly opening can of worms for similiar arguments, E.G. RO2 is dumbed down because it features anachronistic post war entrenchment tools, because not only it allows unrealistic and physically impossible gear placement (this is visible in any screenshot where you can see field gear beter) it's unauthentic. Similiarly unless you were shooting under 10 yard range the ironsights there's no point to have ironsights 'aligned' like that, but that's the case in BC2.

We could start digging up all sorts of examples about authencity or accuracy, which results to the biggest reason why people have leaned towards the point that the game is not really meant to be that realistic. How about field gear seen in BC2 that looks more like they saw a picture of field repaired gear and artistically pulled everything else out of their arse than model it credibly after real piece of gear? It's inaccurate and unrealistic (and unauthentic aswell), same applies for the silly ironsights. Where do you want to draw the line?

Exactly. Like I said before, you open doors by blowing them up with a knife. Or how about players routinely parachuting out of 2 story windows. Or healing devastating wounds with a needle in approx. 1 second. This game openly doesn't give a **** about authenticity. It's like playing NBA Jam and complaining that they're not following regulation NBA rules. It just doesn't make sense and after you get through a certain amount of posts without understanding that then it appears as if you're trolling. The forum isn't against dissenting opinions, but it is however against nonsensical, repetitive, opinions.

EDIT: OK to be fair it's not entirely like the NBA analogy. It'd be like if in NBA Jam the way they held the ball to shoot wasn't normal basketball procedure. Should it be normal procedure? Sure it's still a basketball game. But does it negate the entire game that is not striving to be a realistic basketball experience to begin with? Nope.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well as i said, it isnt perfect.
But because of the lack of free-aim, to me it also isnt too big of a deal. However, that being said i hardly ever try to fire the guns on a helicopter, my experience comes simply from the MG on tanks or the jeep in Vietnam and i have had no trouble getting kills with them, despite the lack of crosshairs. In a helicopter i can hardly hit **** even with crosshairs.

Upvote 0
It just doesn't make sense and after you get through a certain amount of posts without understanding that then it appears as if you're trolling. The forum isn't against dissenting opinions, but it is however against nonsensical, repetitive, opinions.

I think you just labeled me as nonsensical, repetitive and a troll indirectly trough quoting another persons opinion, despite the fact that I earlier suggested a stop on this matter.

Just because you and some other people seem to not mind something that is, from my perspective, a HUGE set back in gaming industry does not make it forgivable.

Just because the Vietnam addon is so cheap, minor, insignificant and does not strive for authenticity does not mean I won't react if developers choose to dumb down the sequels(expansions, addons, DLC's or real sequels).

Next time you critic some other FPS for lack of realism just remember that you made a contribution in the past.

And as far as BC2 realism goes, we will see how comparable will ROHOS sound department will be to it.

Upvote 0
I think you just labeled me as nonsensical, repetitive and a troll indirectly trough quoting another persons opinion, despite the fact that I earlier suggested a stop on this matter.

What is the point of saying stop if you're going to keep responding? ;)

Omar The Insurgent said:
Just because you and some other people seem to not mind something that is, from my perspective, a HUGE set back in gaming industry does not make it forgivable.

What is such a huge setback? Dumbing down games? There are definitely cases where a series has been majorly dumbed such as Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, and Operation Flashpoint but others have just changed the formula. Battlefield was never realistic and in some respects it got more realistic. The infantry combat in BC2 compared to 1942 or even BF2 is improved tenfold. There are other major improvements like the addition of iron sights and the most comprehensive destruction system ever put into an fps. The scope is smaller but that makes it a different type of game, not a dumber one. I'd definitely like to see a return to larger maps in the future but that does not mean I'm going to write off BC2 for all of it's improvements in the series.

Omar the Insurgent said:
Just because the Vietnam addon is so cheap, minor, insignificant and does not strive for authenticity does not mean I won't react if developers choose to dumb down the sequels(expansions, addons, DLC's or real sequels).

Again, you're missing the point. Vietnam is 99% the same exact game as BC2. Your complaints against it hardly means it is "dumbed down". It doesn't have auto-aiming or new glowing indicators to your enemy or any of that. Essentially all that's changed is the maps are tighter, the modern weapon attachments are gone, and the ironsights don't have blur on them. It's still very much BC2.

Omar the Insurgent said:
Next time you critic some other FPS for lack of realism just remember that you made a contribution in the past.

Once again you're missing the point :confused:. BC2 does not strive to be realistic. If ARMA, RO, IL2, suddenly became arcadey and unrealistic then I'd be screaming from the tops of the trees but they are, for the most part, meant to be authentic experiences so anything to the contrary is worthy of criticism. BC2 is simply not trying to appeal to the realism community. However, at the same time, some realism players might enjoy the idea of a more over the top battlefield experience and that is perfectly fine too. Not all games have to be realistic. Is your point seriously that all games must be realistic or they are not worthy of being bought or played?

Omar the Insurgent said:
And as far as BC2 realism goes, we will see how comparable will ROHOS sound department will be to it.

What? Refer to the above. ROHOS will be recording actual weapon sounds and such. BC2 just wants them to sound badass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What is the point of saying stop if you're going to keep responding? ;)

You can't really expect me to stop after being attributed as a repetitive troll.

Amerikaner said:
ROHOS will be recording actual weapon sounds and such. BC2 just wants them to sound badass.

The reason why they sound badass is because they are pretty close to real thing. Listen for yourself:

RL MG3 in action:
YouTube - MG3 shooting.
BC2 MG3 - skip to 0:40 sec:
YouTube - Bad Company 2: MG-3 Audio is Amazing!

While I do have confidence in Tripwire's sound departement(as in all other departements) just recording sound from real weapons is not enough(which is probably not ONLY thing they will do for weapon sounds). I think that in BC2 speed of sound is simulated and also there are many echo's, cracks and what not. So its not a simple WAV that is badass.

Last edited:
Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
You can't really expect me to stop after being attributed as a repetitive troll.

While I do have confidence in Tripwire's sound departement(as in all other departements) just recording sound from real weapons is not enough(which is probably not ONLY thing they will do for weapon sounds). I think that in BC2 speed of sound is simulated and also there are many echo's, cracks and what not. So its not a simple WAV that is badass.

Yes I used to think bc2's sounds were good, and many of them are good. the fact that you get echos and different sounds when firing indoors is very immersive. HOWEVER the game tries to make every sound badass, so many times certain sounds completely override others and block you from allowing to use your ears to pinpoint enemies or weapons fire...

Upvote 0
Eh.. having fired the MG3 in real life I think no such ammo box exists or would work with the MG3. The shells are ejected downwards and thus this box would jam up the gun after a single burst.:eek:

So much for the incredible realism that BC2 had before that darn addon.;)

I just started playing the vanilla game (I didn't even know this had a campaign). I like it so far, but I kind of expected infantry combat and controls to be a more significant improvement over the old games. So far I think CoD controls and combat are still more fluent.

Upvote 0
So much for the incredible realism that BC2 had before that darn addon.;)

Also the player avatars are apparently trained to be blind, as the belt has perfectly usable ammunition left on the belt model by the time you reload. Perhaps it's just an attempt to unjam the weapon and it's just disguised as a reload animation. ;)

Upvote 0
Seriously did they ever hear of auto-balance? At least 2/3 of the matches I play there is one team completely dominating and pwning the opposite team. If you're on the team that gets pwned it makes you rage and if you're on the dominating team it feels kinda cheap.

And why the hell do teams stay the same after mapchange? That just ensures that it stays just as unbalanced. :mad:

Upvote 0