• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Built in game voice communciation?

The problem with RNL is that it is a mod on the source engine, and the populus of players of said engine vary much greater then that of RO. I think in the time I played ROOST I might have heard the stereotypical under 15 voice bout five times tops.

And besides, making a game with the design ethic of not including anything that can be used in any way un intended to annoy team mates would result in a game like TF2. No clipping, cant damage team mates, no artillery, no vehicles, etc. The reason most of us are here and have purchased previous TWI products is because they are not mainstream "pleases everyone" games, and TWI has a pretty good track record of implementing checks and balances to stop a$$ hats.
( the level system that starts you out at 10 - 20, and if you tk you go down from there and have to play in the 'special' servers)

So let me suggest some checks and ballances for a 3d VOIP system.
-: as already stated, admins can listen to all Voip chat and mute / ban at their leisure.
-: players can mute other players 3d chat, global chat, or text chat.
-: if a squad leader mutes a player, that player's voip chat is muted for his team, and the enemy team. ( takes care of annoying people who will try and get team mates killed by alerting the enemy, and also takes care of there not always being an available admin.)
-: players below a certain level cannot use voip, or their voip is over ridden by a higher ranking player ( ie seniority of rank, you don't talk while the commissar is talking). This would apply to levels 0 - 30 assuming you start around 20.

There that sounds like enough, but don't quote me, to get the job done. Annoying players who are trying to get mates killed can be muted by the squad lead asking the team lead to mute. The team lead is *supposed* to be a higher level more mature player and as such is a good place to put such responsibility(when lacking an admin). If there is a player who is low level who is attempting to music spam, they will either be inable to use 3d voip (the lesser of the two options), or anyone will be able to talk over them easily ( better of the two options. By talk over them I mean that the players voip volume will be cut 90% when other higher levels talk.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the squad leader having some kind of "power" in-game, but that would probably only work well if you could vote for kicking the SL off the class ^^.

Not only is it important that you can mute people, but imho it is important that it is easy to do it =). If the mute system is good, then we can have all ncie features without any real problems at all =).

Upvote 0