• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 in eSport sections

KAISERslin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 30, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm one of the new headmanagers of ID Gaming and I played Call of Duty since vCoD. In my opinion every game is gettin' a causal game with nonsens features like ranksystems, perks and so on. Besides these games are buggy like hell.

So back top topic! German eSport needs a new title!
I watched all RO2 videos and thought - That is awesome!!

Following problems:

- Less people know something about RO2
- No advertising in great leagues like ESL or CB

Ideas for competition mode (CoD4 Pro Mod Ideas)

- Strat mode
Every player has to press a key to 'ready up'.
When everyone is ready the game starts!
(Halftime = side switching and strat again)
- Something like HLTV. Broadcasting Features for a game are awesome!
- Recording Feature to record a demo (/record myDemo in CoD)
- Freedom in serversettings (no fog, no sound effects ... and so on)
- Space in Nicknames for clantag and sponsors
- Maybe Serverbanners in Loading screen or something else?

I will update this constantly :)
Feel free to discuss!

Hey everyone,

I'm one of the new headmanagers of ID Gaming and I played Call of Duty since vCoD. In my opinion every game is gettin' a causal game with nonsens features like ranksystems, perks and so on. Besides these games are buggy like hell.

Well, have no worry, buddy.

Because NEW with RO2 is a ranksystem and levelups with unlockable weapons. Also, persistent stat tracking, because how many noobs in public servers you kill matters!

Ideas for competition mode (CoD4 Pro Mod Ideas)

- Strat mode
Every player has to press a key to 'ready up'.
When everyone is ready the game starts!
(Halftime = side switching and strat again)
- Something like HLTV. Broadcasting Features for a game are awesome!
- Recording Feature to record a demo (/record myDemo in CoD)
- Freedom in serversettings (no fog, no sound effects ... and so on)
- Space in Nicknames for clantag and sponsors
- Maybe Serverbanners in Loading screen or something else?

I will update this constantly :)
Feel free to discuss!
BTW
There's this excellent group called ROLadder who organize a fantastic worldwide player ladder for Red Orchestra Ost Front. They have pledged their involvement in RO2. I'm not sure about any big organizations getting involved, that's contingent upon their level of interest and the popularity of the title, but I can tell you that ROLadder has fostered a genuine competitive atmosphere and generated some fantastic ladder teams who are really meltface.

Here's their website:
http://www.roladder.net/[url]http://www.roladder.net/[/URL]

The way matches work in ROLadder is generally we run demorecs from the console tool in Ost to check against exploits/cheats...

We run 4 matches on 2 maps, with each team getting a shot at Axis/Allies on both maps. Default or some hand-selected custom maps with standard rules....reinforcement exhaustion, captures, or timer expiration determines victory.

Points are awarded on the basis of the number of matches won and ladder position:

[url]http://www.roladder.net/index.php?sub=ladders&site=rankings[/URL]

which in turn determine ladder position.

Generally anti-exploit mutator is used such as Exterminator, which makes certain exploitable bugs inaccessible, and most match servers include software that has readychecks for clan matches.

Effectively, players have organized much of what you're asking for. It would be nice to include readycheck included as an option for clan matches as well as the suspension of levelups and access to different game modes for ladder matches, but I think the latter are already being cooked into the game.

And, obviously, bugs will ideally be kept to a minimum :p

Upvote 0
I'm generally trying to put my foot in the door for competitive gaming within RO. As I know how much potential there is available with the RO series for competitive play as I've been playing the RO series competitively for nearly 7 years now.

RO:Ost had quite some issues for competitive gaming, of which a lot were connected to the relative low player base. Which is why I'm hoping HOS can send out a good signal to all locations of competitive gaming. And of course advertising on competitive websites and some good initial basis for competitive play will help with that.

For what its worth for the basics of competitive gaming RO:Ladder (together with some people from ClanBase & RO:League) has made this wish list for RO:HOS and send different revisions to the Devs, and unlike other companies TWI actually communicates with its community. So its likely that TWI has at least seen and read this list (of course implementation is different). http://www.filefront.com/17234196/wishlistclangaming-v2.pdf/ (if you find some things in that list odd or think stuff is missing feel to say so :) )

Some RO:Ladder staff members conducted an interview with the TWI president Ramm-Jeager with regards to competitive gaming, it might give you some interesting insights. Sound quality isn't the best nor is it really a professional interview but it might give you some info. YouTube - Interview: Tripwire President John "RammJaeger" Gibson - Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad part 1/4

For what its worth hints and things we know already for competitive gaming:

- Servers can create server profiles that others can download and rate online, aka competitive ladders can force certain server settings as well on every competitive server.
- RO2TV has been announced and will be featured in RO2 (With a promise that it wont crash this time ^^)
- Stat based player advantages can be disabled by the server.
- Ready up at the start of a match will be in.
- Demo recording will be in and seemingly first person weaponry and iron-sights will show (Unreal engine specific issue generally with demo recordings)
- TWI have hinted that they are looking into possibilities of a secondary anti cheat with HOS. Although its nothing concrete lets hope we see something like integrated X-ray support out of the box.
- Maps can be scaled for 8v8, 16v16 or 32v32 player gameplay, of course as usual in competitive gaming balance of maps shifts slightly so what competitive player numbers work the best on what maps needs to be seen. Generally in RO1 using half the players a map was intended to be played with in public worked the best in competitive gaming.

So feel free to get your community Riled up for RO:HOS ^^. And welcome on the Red Orchestra forums on behalf of me. The more competitive gaming going on in this game the better.

Zetsumei,
A RO:ladder staffmember.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great to see some competitive related stuff here at the forum, love it =).

... Following problems: ... - No advertising in great leagues like ESL or CB ...
Not sure what you mean with this =). If you are afraid that ESL or CB won't notice ROHOS it shouldn't be any problem as they noticed ROOST. If you feel it just is too little talk about it, I have no doubt it will pick up once we get some real in-game gameplay non-cinematic footage and/or the beta has kicked off =).

--

EDIT:
A question I have btw. Might be a stupid one but.. will lean be visible in spectatormode and in playing up the demo?
(I really hope so, it's sort of impossible to live without :/)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, but please do now strip off RO2 from features like they dumbed down CoD4 in Promode.

I'm talking here about:
- removing ambience sounds
- removing 3/4 of graphic effects
- removing 1/2 of weapons
- weapon balance

RO:O (maps, weapons, gamemode) was balanced itself and didn't need any extra mods except HUD Blackscreen and some little fixes (exterminator).

All what RO2 will need is: X-Ray or other external AC support, good commercials to make game popular, fast bugs and exploits fixes from TWI.

Upvote 0
Having RO2:HOS getting ladders and competitions on sites like CB or ESL would be a great thing for the life of the game, and our community and its competitive clans.

As good as ROLadder is, CB and ESL are just more known. It's a fact. And seeing on those sites competitions getting created, active ladders with numerous matches between clans from worldwide, no greater advertising you can have. People may want to buy some RO2:HOS copies because of the good activity of the game on those sites :)

w&c

Upvote 0
It feels like ESL,CB,TWL has to look at ro:ladder (May I call it ROL?) to see how things should be done or something ^^. Nothing strange though as I assume ROL has some smart, competent and experienced guys. It would surprise me if the more famous sites would get better admins =). Insurgency that I played on ESL (peaked at around 30 more or less active clans) died off imho litteraly becuase of incompetent admins, and that was without any competitions from other sites what so ever :p. If ESL,CB,TWL won't get good rules and decent admins it could end up the same way as it did for ROOST. But let's not hope it will, no matter if we in a Utopia would prefer ROL only or not =).

Btw I found a thread about ROHOS in the german ESL forum section, and it sounded like the people there were sceptic to the game based on their feelings towards ostfront. Which I would guess suggests that promoting ROHOS before there are any real non-cinematic game-play videos is a bad idea.

Upvote 0
A big problem is the fact, that 8on8 is too expensive for bigger clans!
Maybe there should be some small maps like 'Carentan' or 'Dawnville' from cod1 to play a 5on5 infantry match.

Besides there should be an extra mode called 'promod' or something. So causal gamers and competive players having fun.

But most of CoD players do not even know the game! That is BULL****.
Cause it is an awesome game and a lot of CoD Players would switch, when it become more famous on the ESL.

The programmers should really contact Turtle Entertainment Fly.

Upvote 0
Again 8v8 are the sizes for public matches. Cod maps for instance were 8v8 focussed as well where in the end the maps were played with 5v5.

Clan play is different from public play as balance shifts, so usually for a map to be balanced with 8v8 in public you need less in competitive gaming.

The Current RO1 maps were designed with 16v16 in mind yet we play those with 8v8. Together with the community RO:Ladder will check at what player sizes the different map sizes work best.

But if things continue like in RO1, then its likely that the 8v8 matches would be played 4v4/5v5 and that the 16v16 maps would be played 8v8/9v9. Of course if the opponent agrees you can always play with more people than the default amount.

I

Upvote 0
It would indeed be a bit surprising if 5on5 competitive would not work for the 16player map sized maps. I guess both countdown and territory would work for both 5on5 and 8on8 if so?

We'll have to look out for what works best, as all of us haven't played the game yet. In the beginning we will probably offer a variety of options in game types and player sizes. And just measure the community response.

RO:Ladder gains nothing from hosting the ladder. Our goal is to supply a home to competitive gaming and offer different flavours for different people. We would perhaps have liked doing more with for instance the mods of RO, but the current site of ROL was dragging us down.

RO:Ladder is a community and a home for competitive play. The only reason why were still here today is because we care for our player base.

Upvote 0