• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Piracy, DRM and HoS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick headsup that that article in the OP is filled with a lot of factual errors and misinformation. It's been debunked several times over the net and on forums like Slashdot.

As for piracy, I think Tripwire should do like the Minecraft author did, he said he didn't care for pirates since he didn't have time to spend on them, rather he should spend his time with his customers, the legit gamers, and he now makes $100K per day, sometimes going as high as $350K.

Care for the gamers, they're your market, not the pirates.

Acutally as a former PIRATE , i COMPLETELY agree with the article .. what world do you come from ? did you even READ it ?

I've been a gamer all my life , and i'm finally starting to see PC piracy take it's toll on the games that i like .. unless we find a way to stomp out piracy , there won't BE a games market anymore ..

i'm ALL for the most restrict DRM that this company can create being put on the disk ... all i ask is that you don't force us the actual paying consumers to always have an active interent connection to play the game , like assasians creed or silent hunter 5 ...

The best way to sell copies of the game is to make the DRM so hard to crack that people who are hungry for a new game will go out and BUY it .. if you read the article there was a form of DRM that held up for over a YEAR .. i'm sure that MANY of the pirates who would have stolen it , gave up and bought it ...which is what i would have done in my pirating days ..

because i now PAY for my games , i want to make sure that pirates are NOT enjoying what i the actual PAYING consumer have shelled out money to play .

PUT RESTRICTIVE DRM ....

don't listen to ANY other counter arguments that you read on this forum ... as long as i can play the game at home on my computer without an always active interent connection i'm fine with DRM , and i'm betting that 98% of paying consumers are fine with it as well .

Upvote 0
People don't readily lend video games with multiplayer keys out. At least, not if they want to keep playing them.

Most non-computer savvy friends of mine have no idea how to copy a DVD. Sure they can RIP a CD, but who the hell (besides my wife) still buys CDs?

You have to remember, not everyone is a hardcore gamer, or a computer guru. Not everyone goes to swap meets / car boot sales.

When you work for a living, time is more precious than a couple of dollars. If it's too much trouble to pirate something (say you don't know how, or it'll take a whole 5 minutes on Google), many people will gladly pay for a download. $0.99 is worth it for me to get an obscure song on iTunes. It's fast, it's cheap enough, and it's legit.

DRM won't stop piracy 100%, but again, it stops casual piracy.

I think this is a reasonable argument, essentially, your point is that DRM deters piracy to the point where it stops the bulk of it

But it runs into snags when we find case studies such as Spore, which as you may recall had some historically draconian DRM, which was pirated about to the same caliber as MW2, which as you may recall had two problems, one, trolls on IWForums posting torrent links/tutorials in the weeks after release, and also had significantly more lenient DRM.

In a nutshell, although it is plausible that DRM would be a significant deterrent to casual gamers, it does not seem to play out that way. Part of that may be that...the inconvenience comes from the DRM thus being, in the consumer's mind, a rationale for piracy, or when the piracy practice is simplified down to downloading a cracked version. E.G. you has one 1337 haxxor who cracks a copy and distributes it for his bredren.

Moreover, international communities may have different motivations, e.g. poor localization, which Gabe Newell touched on in that video that was linked previously. Unlocking the software can allow for significant work to be done, projects to be developed including fan localization of software and other modifications.

Granted that one case study I referenced earlier, however, with Spore vs MW2, I think we can reasonably say that DRM is at least not the only variable in deterring piracy; in fact, whether it deters or encourages piracy cannot reasonably be deduced or even inferred from case studies.

Moreover, DD is a very simple operation, technically, physically, and so on. The process of acquiring a piece of software through DD is significantly less intensive than arriving at a physical retailer and laying down $60 bones for a product and going through a sometimes laborious authentication process.

Just a few thoughts. I have nothing conclusive.

Upvote 0
I think piracy is always an interesting subject because although we don't want to see it happen to our favourite games and people always bang on about how wrong it is(which it is) if HoS was released as a torrent now a few months(i hope) before release I bet everyone here would download it but not neccesarily admit to it.

People like breaking the rules especially if its fun...Its sad but its true.

Upvote 0
Acutally as a former PIRATE , i COMPLETELY agree with the article .. what world do you come from ? did you even READ it ?

Read it, dissected it, pure misinformation article. Linked to many sites in this thread debunking this article for the misinformation and bucket of fallacies it is. Are you affiliated with that site by any chance?

And putting more restrictive DRM as a solution? I'm sorry but Minecraft has no DRM and makes in excess of $100K per day. That's the best DRM in the world, no DRM whatsoever.

Upvote 0

You can agree with it all you want, but that doesen't stop it beeing outright wrong, as it has been quite thouroughly debunked by countless sources, and exposed for the blatant bias and misinformation that it is.

Also, you basically joined just to post this? And to recommend strict DRM? I see..

So what company is paying you to Astroturf thease forums? Securom? Starforce? Or maybe any of countless Interest groups who would love to spread this particular message..

Well Leat's hear it, who's filling out your paychecks?

Upvote 0
As for piracy, I think Tripwire should do like the Minecraft author did, he said he didn't care for pirates since he didn't have time to spend on them, rather he should spend his time with his customers, the legit gamers, and he now makes $100K per day, sometimes going as high as $350K.

Care for the gamers, they're your market, not the pirates.

This is really the correct way. Minecraft also has a price that encourages spontaneous buying. You don't often have to consider if you can spend 10

Upvote 0
That Mangeh, and we need to create a bunch of viruses that bork your HDD and upload them as " ROHOS with crack , works!!! " on the pirate bay and any other torrent site upon the release of ROHOS. in conjunction with people from the forums here going and posting in the comments "thanks works great" and lots of other comments to drown out the suckers who try and pirate from saying "OMG Broke my comp, dont download!!"

:D:eek: ..... :IS2:

Upvote 0
My opinion like a PC gamer since more than 25 years ago:

- DRM and so systems, NEVER prevented people for download a game, crack, and play it.

- DRM makes the game's buyer, to angry, to get a lot of anger, because you see you must insert the dawn dvd every time you want to play.

With steam perhaps you can insert control in a better way the original buyers. If this tecnology doesnt f**k those who bought the game, then ok.

But if this tecnology gives like DRM so many problems to customers, please, dont.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.