• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The "games you regret having bought" thread

People tend to forget the long list of bugs, glitches and exploits it suffered from on release. Yes these were patched out, but exceedingly slowly over a long period of time.

People that stay with a game for a long time tend to do that, much more than people who encounter the bugs and just don't play anymore.

A good example is the blackhawks with guys constantly repairing them so fast they were almost indestructable flying around capping at will and making the US side own every map. How long did it take them to fix that chronic imbalance, months? Nearly a year if I remember correctly.

This was something we actually LIKED. Between ground SAM sites, choppers, jets, eryx's and carried missiles, heavy machine gun emplacements, and just regular infantry guns, there were plenty of counters to Blackhawk whoring. We enjoyed that it let us actually work like a helicopter crew, instead of basically having everyone else besides the gunners and the pilot relegated to throwing grenades out the door.

I was much more unhappy about the fact claymores are broken and are to this day still thoroughly abused. That's the stuff I found unfun. But I dunno, i just felt like between the levels, and all the different ways of playing the game and the features, it made for a great ground pound FPS. I enjoy that I can play BF2 today and can actually go somewhere and find a position, as opposed to the shoe box maps now that force you to spawn and pretty much immediately get shot at.

Upvote 0
No vehicles = no buy for me.

well i normally love vehicles and think 99% of game benefit from them if done right.
But for me jumping around fantastically themed, intricately contructed mazey maps - particularly in '99 - always gave me by far the best ut experience whether it was instagib, rockets or with the normal mixed loadout.
i could live without them, and i recon ut3 should have too - as well as the funny game modes that started with 2k3. and don't start me on the hoverboards..
In fact I thought Halo was better for vehicles, thou phaps because it didn't do the above as well as UT

Reactions: LemoN and Reddog
Upvote 0
People that stay with a game for a long time tend to do that, much more than people who encounter the bugs and just don't play anymore.

This was something we actually LIKED. Between ground SAM sites, choppers, jets, eryx's and carried missiles, heavy machine gun emplacements, and just regular infantry guns, there were plenty of counters to Blackhawk whoring. We enjoyed that it let us actually work like a helicopter crew, instead of basically having everyone else besides the gunners and the pilot relegated to throwing grenades out the door.

I was much more unhappy about the fact claymores are broken and are to this day still thoroughly abused. That's the stuff I found unfun. But I dunno, i just felt like between the levels, and all the different ways of playing the game and the features, it made for a great ground pound FPS. I enjoy that I can play BF2 today and can actually go somewhere and find a position, as opposed to the shoe box maps now that force you to spawn and pretty much immediately get shot at.
Remember at the time blackhawk whoring was happening anti air missiles were still completely broken. It also wasn't anywhere near as effective with the other sides transport choppers, so it was also a huge imbalance in favour of the USA team.

As I said good game but still overrated, I am looking forward to BF3 but hearing it only supports 32 player servers makes me disappoint.

Upvote 0
well i normally love vehicles and think 99% of game benefit from them if done right.
But for me jumping around fantastically themed, intricately contructed mazey maps - particularly in '99 - always gave me by far the best ut experience whether it was instagib, rockets or with the normal mixed loadout.
i could live without them, and i recon ut3 should have too - as well as the funny game modes that started with 2k3. and don't start me on the hoverboards..
In fact I thought Halo was better for vehicles, thou phaps because it didn't do the above as well as UT

+1
I always thought that vehicles were a bed choice for UT.
Nothing beats the nice maze gameplay of UT99.

Upvote 0
I think BF2 is hugely overrated and put on too much of a pedestal. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it does not deserve all of the praise it gets.

People tend to forget the long list of bugs, glitches and exploits it suffered from on release.

Add BF2 to my list to. I never played the game for more than 5 minutes due to Playerbuster (oh, Punkbuster).

It constantly kicked me out of the server.

I am glad I only spent $10.

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
Bad Company 2: They said they tried to make the gameplay "fast paced" for consoles. I think they just made it annoying. It has all the horribad gunplay of the Battlefield series with none of the redeeming features like huge maps with at least 64 players and vehicles that are actually a challenge to destroy. I remember in 2142 getting 40+ kills before dying when I used good tactics, in BC2 it is literally whoever sees the other first wins (unless one of them is a noob who has yet to discover how to exploit the cone fire). BC2 and CS are both games about nothing more than learning to control your cone fire, and that's a big part of why I hate them. I should've known, considering it is a console shooter, but someone kept telling me it was a good game. If the next PC exclusive Battlefield doesn't bring the series back to its roots I'm done with BF.

Left 4 Dead: I got this game for $7.99 and still regret the purchase, though I was spoiled by KF beforehand. The atmosphere and player characters in L4D are impressive, but that's about it. The actual gameplay is quite repetitive, and the guns have no impact whatsoever, they're simply not satisfying to use at all. In L4D I feel like I am pointing a mouse cursor at a zombie model and clicking, in KF I feel like I am blowing a zombie's head off with a powerful rifle. And when it comes down to it, the quality of the weapons and violence are what keep me coming back to a zombie game. L4D just doesn't have it. The only fun I had with this game was playing as a smoker (pulling people off roofs was the high point for me) or tank, but that only lasted for about 10 hours. The fact that the vastly superior Alien Swarm was released as an afterthought "gift" due to the fact the AS devs were put to work on L4D only adds insult to injury.

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas proves that you should never, ever sell your name to Ubisoft, or they will use it as toilet paper. I really miss the old Red Storm.

Upvote 0
Left 4 Dead : It came with Valve Complete Pack ( Wich i bought for 60 dollars) , the game itself it's fine. The community is a completely bull**** , whiny pro's that kick you if you do atleast one wrong move. I only play it with friends now , and i just have 13 hours played , and im proud of them.

Yeah. The community is contsantly getting on my nerves. Probably the main reason I play so little.

The game itself is actually quite nice, though; Valve knows what it's doing. And much more different from KF then I expected.

Upvote 0
Yeah. The community is contsantly getting on my nerves. Probably the main reason I play so little.

The game itself is actually quite nice, though; Valve knows what it's doing. And much more different from KF then I expected.

Left 4 Dead suffers because of Left 4 Dead 2. Other than that it was an original concept executed well besides weak weapons and questionable replayability.

Upvote 0
Bioshock: Bought it because of all the great reviews. I couldn't really get into the story and atmosphere though, and the gameplay felt kinda clunky.
BS is one of those games with motion-heavy visuals, that has a negative impact on how movement feels. Plus the shooting is kind of eh.

Still, I got into the story after the first 30 minutes or so, mainly because of the quality of the voice acting and how richly the characters are drawn. I didn't like the game enough to run out and get BS 2 though.

Left 4 Dead suffers because of Left 4 Dead 2. Other than that it was an original concept executed well besides weak weapons and questionable replayability.
He's not really talking about that. Versus Gameplay in L4D1/2 is very, very demanding. And it turns even the nicest gamers into hateful pricks. An entire match can hinge on one really wrong move; or just a series of less than optimal choices from a team member. Even easy matches are high stress affairs, and pro players just ratchet up the stress and dickishness by nitpicking your game as you play it.

(God you're a terrible shot; you suck at a hunter/smoker/boomer/jockey; you don't know how to use a tank; you run around like an idiot; you're not keeping up; you just run in and attack and die)

L4D is one of the more rewarding and demanding competitive experiences I've had. But it tends to come at the cost of fun, patience and good will. Even playing with friends, once you know what you're doing in game, their **** ups will make you angry at them in a way you never thought possible.

The first time your friend goes "****ing keep up!" without looking back to see that you're SWARMED with zeds, you're gut response will be "**** you, get back here and help me you jackass!"

So when you go looking for a pub game, 9/10 times you'll get rage quits, or get booted because someone decides you're a liability. I'd never really heard the term rage quit before L4D (not that it wasn't there.) Now I hear it all the time. For someone just picking up the game and diving in, it can be a really ****ty experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BS is one of those games with motion-heavy visuals, that has a negative impact on how movement feels. Plus the shooting is kind of eh.

Still, I got into the story after the first 30 minutes or so, mainly because of the quality of the voice acting and how richly the characters are drawn. I didn't like the game enough to run out and get BS 2 though.

He's not really talking about that. Versus Gameplay in L4D1/2 is very, very demanding. And it turns even the nicest gamers into hateful pricks. An entire match can hinge on one really wrong move; or just a series of less than optimal choices from a team member. Even easy matches are high stress affairs, and pro players just ratchet up the stress and dickishness by nitpicking your game as you play it.

(God you're a terrible shot; you suck at a hunter/smoker/boomer/jockey; you don't know how to use a tank; you run around like an idiot; you're not keeping up; you just run in and attack and die)

L4D is one of the more rewarding and demanding competitive experiences I've had. But it tends to come at the cost of fun, patience and good will. Even playing with friends, once you know what you're doing in game, their **** ups will make you angry at them in a way you never thought possible.

The first time your friend goes "****ing keep up!" without looking back to see that you're SWARMED with zeds, you're gut response will be "**** you, get back here and help me you jackass!"

So when you go looking for a pub game, 9/10 times you'll get rage quits, or get booted because someone decides you're a liability. I'd never really heard the term rage quit before L4D (not that it wasn't there.) Now I hear it all the time. For someone just picking up the game and diving in, it can be a really ****ty experience.

yeah, just got L4D2 a few weeks ago....

The nitpickery and elitism really pisses me off, and I would ignore the comments if it weren't that that usually gets you kicked....and getting kicked is common, as is ragequitting. And with such anger and stress on all sides, you kind of see why.

Upvote 0