• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank commander can unmount to scout - but dies with tank

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
With the very very long discussion in the general forum of tank bailing / unmounting, I've come to the conclusion that unmounting would be useful in a very limited fashion.

Specifically, the ability for the tank commander to unmount from the turret, for the sole purpose of scouting the area without exposing the silhouette of the entire tank.

Ideally, you could do this without unmounting by going hull or turret down, but we don't always have convenient geography for this. Sometimes we're sneaking in a tree lined area, or going a round a building, and don't want to expose the whole tank.

So I suggest the tank commander can unmount, take a look around (binoculars of course), and remount the tank. While unmounted, they won't have cap power, so they won't be encouraged to play infantry. And importantly, if their tank gets destroyed or scuttled, they automatically respawn into the new tank when the next respawn wave comes up.

I wouldn't be oppose to having a set radius they could roam from, and if they go too far, they are considered deserting, and go back to respawn.

I think it would be too much work for too little gain.

Surely is realistic, but it it practical? I don't think I've ever done this or have ever seen anyone do it. I don't think that anyone would care that much in a public game to do this.

And in a competitive and organized game you'll pretty much know everything from the TS reports, and you also don't want to spend your sweet time scouting around because in a game with cap system, the battle needs you, and fast.

In two or three games, you'll know every map, and every route the enemy will take, you know that there can be 32 enemy tanks coming from the same places, and they will be expecting you too.

Upvote 0
thats only good if the tanks do hold 4 people(which i think they do), some people seem to think only 3 people can be in at the sametime.

if you leave and its just bots in thats abit silly, if one of the 3 crew leave then an important position will be unmaned.

but either way i still just think leave it locked to all.

Upvote 0
But what about transport vehicles? You will definitely be able to enter/exit them and I guess they will have animations of entering/exiting made too. Beacuse if not then it's going to be same what was happening in RO where you pack full squad in a halftrack and do a quick landing on the objective. While in RL this wouldn't happen as they would be just mowed down as soon as they tried to come out of the vehicle. And if animations for the transport vehicles are done then why not for tanks?

Upvote 0
I think it would be too much work for too little gain.

Is that your answer for everything?

You know it's ok to just be honest and say you don't like X, Y, and Z instead of using that boiler plate response. What qualifies you to say that anyway? Do you have a portfolio to show us, which would add some credibility to that statement?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

You know it's ok to just be honest and say you don't like X, Y, and Z instead of using that boiler plate response. What qualifies you to say that anyway? Do you have a portfolio to show us, which would add some credibility to that statement?

What about reading the rest of the post?, maybe it will answer your stupid question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the very very long discussion in the general forum of tank bailing / unmounting, I've come to the conclusion that unmounting would be useful in a very limited fashion.

Specifically, the ability for the tank commander to unmount from the turret, for the sole purpose of scouting the area without exposing the silhouette of the entire tank.

Ideally, you could do this without unmounting by going hull or turret down, but we don't always have convenient geography for this. Sometimes we're sneaking in a tree lined area, or going a round a building, and don't want to expose the whole tank.

So I suggest the tank commander can unmount, take a look around (binoculars of course), and remount the tank. While unmounted, they won't have cap power, so they won't be encouraged to play infantry. And importantly, if their tank gets destroyed or scuttled, they automatically respawn into the new tank when the next respawn wave comes up.

I wouldn't be oppose to having a set radius they could roam from, and if they go too far, they are considered deserting, and go back to respawn.

I really don't believe you know what you want!
First of all you start a poll about tank bailing which stretched to 14 pages and 273 posts, in which you came up with dozens of reasons why it shouldn't be allowed.
Now that that thread has run out of steam, or you are bored with it, you start another thread where you have decided that you now approve of limited tank bailing.
If you expect ppl. to take your ideas seriously, make up your mind and stick to it

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0

I'm not a Coder, but i should imagine any extra coding to show a Commander bailing out of a Tank to Scout around would be difficult and time consuming...unless You are willing to settle for a BFBC2 solution of someone just "popping up" outside the Tank....Maybe someone with more Knowledge Than most of Us can answer this question?

Upvote 0
It is a lot of work, but not as much work as animating exiting for every crewman. This would just be the commander.

Put it this way, I wouldn't call this a priority, but if it was in, I wouldn't complain. But I would complain if everyone could unmount and go Rambo.

Consider that everyone is a tank commander if he goes solo, (which is probably the most common scenario), then everybody would be bailing out, and exploiting the system in every possible way except for the unlikely intended real purpose.

Adding systems to kill the commander outside if the tank when is destroyed could work, but would look, weird, unrealistic, and it would be complicating everything.

Upvote 0
I really don't believe you know what you want!
First of all you start a poll about tank bailing which stretched to 14 pages and 273 posts, in which you came up with dozens of reasons why it shouldn't be allowed.
Now that that thread has run out of steam, or you are bored with it, you start another thread where you have decided that you now approve of limited tank bailing.
If you expect ppl. to take your ideas seriously, make up your mind and stick to it

I went in thinking 100% no. But after reading some good arguments for limited unmounting (which I stated in the 14 page thread), I was convinced it wouldn't be all bad.

I pride myself on being able to change my mind when given good evidence / argument. So, no way will I be too stubborn to not listen to other people. So shut up!:D

I propose this because I think it's within realistic behavior for the commander to unmount and scout ahead.

But seriously, Federov gives some good reasons why this wouldn't work. As I said, it would only be OK with no cap points, and a limited range for the commander.

It would still have the odd issue of commanders magically disappearing with the tank. We're use to tanks despawning, but only after they've been KO'd.

Also, it is a lot of work, for limited gain - probably only useful on large expansive maps like Black Day in July. My point is, if something like this were implemented, I wouldn't cry foul.

Probably a moot point anyway, as at this point in development, suggestions can't really add any features TWI hasn't thought about. I'm pretty sure the major features are locked, and they're just trying to get what they want in, in.

When I was beta testing, I found a lot of the suggestions (including a bunch of mine) were already in the beta. Ramm actually thought there was a leak before I joined the testing team, because of some of my posts.

Upvote 0
I applaud your change of mind, and i also agree with the points you make (or Federov made)
We need to keep have sort of system in place where the tank commander can get out and scout ahead.
TWI have mentioned nothing about the radios in the tanks (at least i think i saw a radio) perhaps the tank commander will be able to use the binocs and radio to call in arty or the recon plane by just sticking his head out the hatch, maybe thats another reason why they see no need for the commander to leave the tank, but it would still be usefull to exit and scout ahead, jump back in and use the radio (if its possible, and i hope it is)

Upvote 0
I hope too, that will be radio in tanks. Atleast so, that "somewhere in rear" is "commander's tanks" , who give some very rough intel. for commanders of tanks. Mm..:cool:
With some delay in time.
Then bailing out isn't needed,imho. Maybe if we see later MMO scale game..
Though is needed possibility using sidearm and submachine-gun like IRL.

Upvote 0
How about commanders just use their dang binoculars like they should?

This "getting out to scout" business is ridiculous.

What? Getting out to scout is legitimate, realistic, and practical. Yes, I've done it often in RO and DH, but yes, it's mostly for large scale maps where you don't have infantry popping out of every corner.

@Mormegil

Your suggestion seems rather contrived IMO. I would rather they implement the ability to get out of your tank fully, or not do it at all, but I don't like the idea of some kind of in between, sort of but not really compromise solution.

Upvote 0
Yes, its shown in the video

Wilsonam also mentikoned the Hull MGer's hatch exists. Hopefully that means it'll also be functional.

I'm fine with the no bailing system, but just thought this might be one good way to incorporate unmounting.

The issue with simply using tbhe hatch is, if you're not turret down, the tank is very visible. As I said, this would be ideal to look around a house/building without exposing you tank's position. Obviously, that wouldn't work from the commander's cupola or hatch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the very very long discussion in the general forum of tank bailing / unmounting, I've come to the conclusion that unmounted would be useful in a very limited fashion.

So I suggest the tank commander can unmount, take a look around (binoculars of course), and remount the tank. While unmounted, they won't have cap power, so they won't be encouraged to play infantry. And importantly, if their tank gets destroyed or scuttled, they automatically re spawn into the new tank when the next re spawn wave comes up.

I wouldn't be oppose to having a set radius they could roam from, and if they go too far, they are considered deserting, and go back to re-spawn.

i want to ask you something in the midst of a full on battle would a tank commander get out of tank to scout... :rolleyes: no he wouldn't now if your trying to move your to the front lines without being seen maybe but in the context of heroes of Stalingrad how many commanders got out of there tanks to scout i take it not many, not people sitting around in there tigers doing nothing while the other tanks raided the city, the actual ones in battle none. if the map was 20 maybe even 10 miles long then id say sure you can scout but its not as the developers said your in the action not 5 miles away from the action.

also did the tank commander ever scout i bet not i bet he had other troops there to do that for him scouts perhaps. so im also saying the tank commander scout in the middle of a battlefield isn't even realistic. sure gaming purpose provides infinite possibility but not realistic only maybe in desperate situations so no these situations weren't common at all.

Upvote 0