• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

M21 Supersonic Crack audio not playing correctly.

steve2142

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 29, 2016
I was just playing An Lao Valley, having a sniper war, me using the SVD and the U.S Army sniper with an XM21. Around 180+ meters away, the XM21 rounds impacting close to me were just making a comical "whizz" and extremely low volume impact dirt sound. And strangely no supersonic crack, or sharp whizz/crack. They'v been working the kinks out on this for awhile, and seemed to have fixed it all until i just extensively tested this little audio bug with multiple firearms)
Just wanted to point this out as other firearms have been doing the same thing recently like the AK-47 and Mosin.
(The SKS was fixed a couple patches ago)

Here's a suggestion on my personal favorite audio in any FPS ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i7k615LCGc --- Skip to 7:50 --- This is SQUAD as you can tell, they overhauled the audio and it is by far the most immersive audio design i'v heard and played in my honest opinion, and i know this wont be of high priority, but perhaps eventually you guys could get around to it. And i thoroughly believe Tripwire/Antimatter can have equal if not better audio design, it already is pretty fricken immersive!

As always, thank you so very much for taking your time to read this and perhaps fix some of these audio problems.
Keep up the fantastic work guys!!!

Last edited:
Very persistent about this topic of discussion:

steve2142;n2282275 said:
...omething like this needs to be implemented into this game, as of now the bullet whizzes and cracks are very low volume and lame.
Please revamp impact, whizzes and crack sounds...

Lemonater47;n2282312 said:
Super sonic cracks are in this game. Much louder than they were in RO2.

steve2142;n2291171 said:
Gunfire in Hue City from any range sounds super muffled, a real battle is a cacophony of deafening gunfire, screams, bullet impacts, and whizzes from fully automatic rifle fire. And i think you guys almost nailed it but, the long ranged gunfire seems the most muffled out of all and i would love if that was fixed. The footsteps aren't the best sounding either for the US, and need to sound more cinematic...

Maybe if this game used UE4 then you would get Squads level of sound quality, since Squad actually uses UE4. But do you really think they would go through the effort to revamp the audio for the entire game? It's still only using a "modified" UE3 after all.

PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN;n2262969 said:
...[W]e're still using Unreal Engine 3. When we started on this project, UE4 was announced but not available, plus by building off the base framework already created for RO2, it has let us spend more time iterating on the gameplay side of things and less on building a new framework from the ground up...

Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2299841 said:
Very persistent about this topic of discussion:

Maybe if this game used UE4 then you would get Squads level of sound quality, since Squad actually uses UE4. But do you really think they would go through the effort to revamp the audio for the entire game? It's still only using a "modified" UE3 after all.

I am.. Perhaps too persistent. And i sincerely apologize because i don't want to push anyone's buttons.
I just wanted the Dev's to check out Squad's sound design, and if they could somehow create their own similar sounding battlefield sound effects. I truly love this game and want it to be as immersive as possible and it does quite a terrific job at doing so, just a few nit picking things here and there that dampen immersiveness to me.

(Voices,taunts,commands, etc using the communication menu sometimes cut out during movement or certain areas of the map, and have strange reverb/echoing)

(M60, AK-47 variant firing sounds are kinda quiet and strange. Ithica-37 3rd person shots produce a high pitch sound on occasion)

(When the Recon Plane or F4 Phantom gets shot down, it still plays the exact same sounds and doesn't change pitch or volume or any distortion effects, this would be nice to know if the planes have been downed or not. And the explosion of the planes fails to play at extended ranges 80 meters and beyond)

As for using Unreal 3? Of course they can do it. They've clearly showed how incredible they are at using an elderly engine whether it be with rendering, or a custom 3rd party audio engine. I do believe they'v already implemented and done very well with.

They can do it, it will just take more than 1 person asking them to... though they tend to listen to their community even nit picky problems, and that is why they are hands down the best gaming developers imo.(not just saying that, it's the truth)

So again, sorry for bringing up this audio discussion again, it's apparently the only thing i notice in game hahaha.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
steve2142

This already turned into a suggestion & ideas & complaints thread. So lets add to that, they removed the scream players make when sprinting while holding melee, the MD-82 mine uses same explosion audio as grenades, footsteps are very quiet to others, and there are only 2-3 voice actors for each team.

One thing that bothered me in RO2 was that it took them a few years to fix the C96 full auto sound, it used same audio as the PPsh for such a long time. So maybe there is hope that your dreams will come true.

Lemonater47
If RS2 is built on the framework of RO2, then both must use WWise. What then does Squad use?

Upvote 0
Kaleun;n2299875 said:
steve2142

Lemonater47
If RS2 is built on the framework of RO2, then both must use WWise. What then does Squad use?

You don't realise how much I just face palmed right now.

RS2 uses WWise. RO2 doesn't use WWise. How is that not a possibility in your mind? They can change how stuff works. Like RS2 being directX11 and 64 both while RO2 is directX9 and 32bit. Things like that.

Squad doesn't use anything. Well nothing other than UE4 for its sounds. Also Squad has an issue with vertical sound. Doesn't matter if someone is 1 floor above you or 10 floors above you they always sound like they are right next to you.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2299891 said:
RS2 uses WWise. RO2 doesn't use WWise.

Thanks for the information, I did not know that. There is not much documentation out there on the technicalities of these things.

I assumed RO2 and RS2 had a similar framework for audio, the sole reason I initially created this account was because of my issue with this games audio. I had problems with audio in RO2 that are identical to the ones I have now in RS2. I've just come to the conclusion that is 100% my sound cards fault, damn Realtek and their lack of support.

Upvote 0