• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you guys really want a CAR-15.

Lemonater47

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
There was one rifle that fits the CAR-15 "designation" that was actually used by your standard GI. As yes. CAR-15 encompasses a number of rifles considering it literally means Colt Automatic Rifle. Technically the M16A1 is a CAR-15 but shh.

There was also the Colt Model 605 carbine. More or less a cut down M16 rifle to give a barrel length of 15 inches.

There were two versions of it. The 605A and the 605B. The 605A had a forward assist and could fire in semi and automatic. The 605B had no forward assist (like the M16A1) but it could fire in Semi, Automatic and Burst fire. All 3. They also had the 3 pronged flash hider still. 605A came about being issued in 1963 and the 605B in 1966. Production numbers aren't a thing but it seems the 605B became the more common of the two.

I read stories of Vietnam vets and this rifle keeps popping up in all these stories. Usually in the hands of NCOs and low ranking officers. They were originally designed for helicopter troops but they were essentially put into an extended trial period indefinitely.

On Burst fire. I've been reliably informed that Burst fire with M16s doesn't work like how Burst fire works in other video games. Where you just click and it fires 3 bullets. Instead with Burst fire you still have to hold the trigger down for it to fire all three rounds. If you set it to Burst fire and just tap the trigger it will just fire 1 round. However another little quirk with that is that the next time you hold the trigger down it will fire only 2 rounds before it stops. There's some mechanical explanation for this I've since forgotten. But if you ever do the 605B do Burst fire right.

But yeah. None of that XM177 Colt commando BS. That was special forces only.

What I would love is option for another SMG like VC have. Tommy gun would be perfect. And along with M16 and M14, we could have one bolt action like Springfield to have option like Mosin on other side.

And also more run and gun LMG, something like BAR.

Would be great to have 2 options for every class and weapon in each faction. Some WW2 stuff.

Upvote 0
This thread is more about people wanting a CAR-15. Here I give an option for if AMG really really really want's something like that as well. An option that's plausible.

Though I didn't go over what classes. Personally I think pointman and Commander should have this as an option. Pointman really needs something that's got a bit more firepower at range. People like using it as a class for squad leader. So it would benefit players who have that playstyle. The commander really needs a weapon that fits his role. So he can be more active in the field for those kinds of players.

It 100% should not be a variant of the M16A1. Big no no.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2303193 said:
This thread is more about people wanting a CAR-15. Here I give an option for if AMG really really really want's something like that as well. An option that's plausible.

Though I didn't go over what classes. Personally I think pointman and Commander should have this as an option. Pointman really needs something that's got a bit more firepower at range. People like using it as a class for squad leader. So it would benefit players who have that playstyle. The commander really needs a weapon that fits his role. So he can be more active in the field for those kinds of players.

It 100% should not be a variant of the M16A1. Big no no.

agree Car15 SMG or Carbine for Pointman would be great. Tommy gun can be added later if they decide to put Australian Army in game. They used Tommy gun, M1s, Bars and older weapons more than USA.

Upvote 0
kuky90;n2303191 said:
What I would love is option for another SMG like VC have. Tommy gun would be perfect. And along with M16 and M14, we could have one bolt action like Springfield to have option like Mosin on other side.

And also more run and gun LMG, something like BAR.

Would be great to have 2 options for every class and weapon in each faction. Some WW2 stuff.

A Swedish K/Model 36 would prob be a better submachinegun choice, give the US an option of which caliber they want.

Upvote 0
Swedish K and Thompson were special forces weapons. Almost exclusively.

Apart from that one incident where the 5th marines Raided an ARVN stockpile.

Out of the WW2 weapons you would find M2 carbines in the hands of standard GI's. But not the rest of it. Even with the Carbines they were black market weapons. They were just extremely common in the ARVN forces of the time. So they showed up in the hands of American soldiers.

Thompsons and BARs would have been extremely rare in the hands of normal soldiers.

Upvote 0
Arisaka99;n2303255 said:
Can you send the pic?
I know the ARVN used a bunch, but it was never issued to US troops.

Screen-Shot-2015-11-23-at-17.59.25.png

main-qimg-70d28dda7e7cabb21b971b44b3cc3c0a.webp

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2303177 said:
There was one rifle that fits the CAR-15 "designation" that was actually used by your standard GI. As yes. CAR-15 encompasses a number of rifles considering it literally means Colt Automatic Rifle. Technically the M16A1 is a CAR-15 but shh.

There was also the Colt Model 605 carbine. More or less a cut down M16 rifle to give a barrel length of 15 inches.

There were two versions of it. The 605A and the 605B. The 605A had a forward assist and could fire in semi and automatic. The 605B had no forward assist (like the M16A1) but it could fire in Semi, Automatic and Burst fire. All 3. They also had the 3 pronged flash hider still. 605A came about being issued in 1963 and the 605B in 1966. Production numbers aren't a thing but it seems the 605B became the more common of the two.

I read stories of Vietnam vets and this rifle keeps popping up in all these stories. Usually in the hands of NCOs and low ranking officers. They were originally designed for helicopter troops but they were essentially put into an extended trial period indefinitely.

On Burst fire. I've been reliably informed that Burst fire with M16s doesn't work like how Burst fire works in other video games. Where you just click and it fires 3 bullets. Instead with Burst fire you still have to hold the trigger down for it to fire all three rounds. If you set it to Burst fire and just tap the trigger it will just fire 1 round. However another little quirk with that is that the next time you hold the trigger down it will fire only 2 rounds before it stops. There's some mechanical explanation for this I've since forgotten. But if you ever do the 605B do Burst fire right.

But yeah. None of that XM177 Colt commando BS. That was special forces only.

But...but the M16A1 does have a forward assist, thats when it was introduced in 67. "The U.S. Army XM16E1(M16A1) was essentially the same weapon as the M16 with the addition of a forward assist and corresponding notches in the bolt carrier. The M16A1 was the finalized production model in 1967"

Anyways, i agree. They do need a-LOT more "Car-15" type assault rifles to keep the content going.

Upvote 0