• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ro2 is all well and good but what about RS1 maps??

shnukshnuk

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
i love RO2 dont get me wrong.

But i love the First Rising Storm a lot more and would love to see some of its maps also ported. do you guys think this will happen? i really hope so. Kwajalien in the RS2 modified engine would be interesting

also make the SNLF correct this time. theres a reason the Authentic SNLF mod is currently one of the most popular workshop mods :I

Because biting off more than you can chew is usually a bad idea. Porting over RO2 content isn't even a sure thing yet, this is just testing the waters and the interest level. Between RO2 and RS1 RO2 was always the more consistently popular game overall so it makes sense to choose RO2 content to port over before anything else imo.

Reactions: PsychoPigeon
Upvote 0
omano;n2305637 said:
I think the whole idea of porting RO2 content is plain dumb. Now we have RS2, a new game/mod (call it as you want, wink wink ;)), and we'll bring back the original game content... content we got rid of when having this new game/mod. No I don't see the good thing in that. I see laziness and lack of RS2 content, yes.
If bringing over older content using some of the updated mechanics of RS2 is far faster and less resource dependent than making content "from scratch," meanwhile having most of the development focus on completely new content, then I really fail to see why it would be so dumb.

Personally I'd enjoy playing RO2 with updated gunplay, sight misalignment/recoil, of RS2. I'd also like to, you know, play it on a game that's running DX11 rather than old as hell DX9.

Upvote 0
Jagdwyre;n2305596 said:
Because biting off more than you can chew is usually a bad idea. Porting over RO2 content isn't even a sure thing yet, this is just testing the waters and the interest level. Between RO2 and RS1 RO2 was always the more consistently popular game overall so it makes sense to choose RO2 content to port over before anything else imo.

most servers are combined and RS1 still gets lots of players in japan america and europe

Upvote 0
shnukshnuk;n2305654 said:
most servers are combined and RS1 still gets lots of players in japan america and europe

No, it actually doesn't. It's fair to say no servers are combined RS1/RO2. I've only seen one campaign server that hosts RS1 & RO2 maps. RS1 has always been the least popular of the two, more apparent now than ever.

Upvote 0
Beskar Mando;n2305655 said:
No, it actually doesn't. It's fair to say no servers are combined RS1/RO2. I've only seen one campaign server that hosts RS1 & RO2 maps. RS1 has always been the least popular of the two, more apparent now than ever.

All Australian servers were combined.

When they weren't 24/7 bridges anyway.

Campaign killed off combined servers elsewhere. Any server that started up after but wasn't campaign still went with the single theatre of war.

The reason why that didn't happen in the Australian region was due to the server situation. The largest host was Games.on.net with 6 RO2/RS1 servers. The only ones that were populated were the combined ones. The single theatre servers that didn't get players changed to campaign and still didn't get players. Aussie/Nz was the other major host being the most popular one and they only did campaign for events.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know you can load the RS1 maps into the RS2 editor (I messed around with Guadalcanal for fun, I couldn't really do anything though because the static lights and their paths stayed on the map). All the RS1 textures and objects get wiped, but the height map stays the same. Technically you could bring the old maps into RS2, but they'd have to be "Nam-ified" with the RS2 stuff.

Upvote 0
Grabbed_by_the_Spetsnaz;n2305766 said:
As someone who played Aus/NZ servers, I know it was about 2 months after RS1 came out when I didn't see a single RS server, everyone wanted Bridges, factory and their ****ty MkB's and 250 round MG-42's.

There wasn't the MG-42 when RS1 was released.

I don't think bridges was out by then either. If it was only for a couple of months or so before RS1.

Upvote 0
JokersWarPig;n2305702 said:
I know you can load the RS1 maps into the RS2 editor (I messed around with Guadalcanal for fun, I couldn't really do anything though because the static lights and their paths stayed on the map). All the RS1 textures and objects get wiped, but the height map stays the same. Technically you could bring the old maps into RS2, but they'd have to be "Nam-ified" with the RS2 stuff.
Ofc the maps can be ported, it's all Unreal engine. But I highly doubt AMG would do that. That would be very lazy and out of place. This is something the community modders can do themselves. You see that recently a lot of Killing Floor 1 maps get ported for KF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
JokersWarPig;n2305702 said:

This would be great, I think some of them would work fine with a few tweaks.

Played a ported Nam-ified version of a RO1 map but can't recall the name. Canyons with a stone fort at the top. Much like the original the defenders can roll grenades down the slopes all day but it was fun otherwise. Tunnel system and/or air transpo would fix it.

Upvote 0
AntleredCormorant;n2305940 said:
This would be great, I think some of them would work fine with a few tweaks.

Played a ported Nam-ified version of a RO1 map but can't recall the name. Canyons with a stone fort at the top. Much like the original the defenders can roll grenades down the slopes all day but it was fun otherwise. Tunnel system and/or air transpo would fix it.

TE-Kaukasus

Upvote 0