• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Have been noticing confirmed cheaters for the first time In an RO game

gimpy117

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2011
Michigan
Last night I was in a round with a guy, who, after having pulling 80+ kills for three rounds straight was finally only kicked for reason of Mic spamming. After looking up his profile "______" he has had "multiple previous VAC bans" and on e "game ban" yet, there he was obviously up to something. I suspect he was using some form of ESP and no recoil or aim enhancements...yet the anti cheat we all installed did nothing

my question to the devs is: do you have a plan to get out ahead of this? it's obvious hacks have been made for this game to date and are being used. I understand if you can't elaborate much on this issue, I just want some peace of mind since i've seen other games like this ruined by hacking that is unchecked

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not saying that there aren't any cheaters (because I have seen an obvious one who was shortly banned), but it's not uncommon for people with a lot of experience on a map to rack up 60+ kills in a half. For example, defending Cu Chi with PPSH and a good team is a joke. You will get an unbelievable amount of kills (70+), just by killing attackers trying to push the point on a server without lockdown. Obviously doing so on the attacking team is much harder but yeah. Not EVERYONE is a cheater. The game is much faster paced than RO2, good knowledge of the map and skill can get you a lot of kills, where in RO2 you only really saw the MG gunners or tankers with absurd scores.

Upvote 0
Imo, server admins should use the server option that won't allow players with VAC bans to join the server. There is even an option (irrc) to set the number of days since the last VAC ban. Personally, I don't allow anyone that has ever had a VAC ban to play on my servers. There are other servers they can go play on.

If you ever admin'd servers back in the MOH:AA and CoD1 days of no anti-cheat what-so-ever, you'll know that (unless the guy is a complete idiot with an aimbot) it can be virtually impossible to say with 100% certainty that someone is cheating. And its a shame the Punkbuster screenshots of old didn't pan out. Admins caught many a hacker with them and could participate in PbBans. <sigh>

And the problem with calling out people (as the OP did) is that you often get the name wrong. I would surmise he meant to type "______". I say that because _______ has a private account. That and the fact that one can change their Steam name at will.

Reactions: gimpy117
Upvote 0
Floyd;n2300664 said:
Imo, server admins should use the server option that won't allow players with VAC bans to join the server. There is even an option (irrc) to set the number of days since the last VAC ban. Personally, I don't allow anyone that has ever had a VAC ban to play on my servers. There are other servers they can go play on.

If you ever admin'd servers back in the MOH:AA and CoD1 days of no anti-cheat what-so-ever, you'll know that (unless the guy is a complete idiot with an aimbot) it can be virtually impossible to say with 100% certainty that someone is cheating. And its a shame the Punkbuster screenshots of old didn't pan out. Admins caught many a hacker with them and could participate in PbBans. <sigh>

And the problem with calling out people (as the OP did) is that you often get the name wrong. I would surmise he meant to type "______". I say that because _______ has a private account. That and the fact that one can change their Steam name at will.

I didn't know that was a setting. and yes, I did get the name wrong, has been corrected. just flipped those two letters. I swear to drunk officer im not god!! lol

Upvote 0
The name is correct now. Earlier I don't know but I it was close enough for me to know exactly who it is. Ran across this guy a few times. Not sure what the rules are here on linking their profiles. I know on steam you are not supposed to. I believe it's his second ban. He last one was around 140 days ago.

Upvote 0
Floyd;n2300664 said:

That would be the best thing to do. But not sure how many servers have that option turned on since I have seen people with bans on their accounts playing. Wasn't there also a option to pick how many days since last VAC ban before players with bans were allowed to play on severs? Or was that just something people were requesting around the time RS came out?

Upvote 0
All I can say is that there are way less cheaters right now than a few weeks back. Thank gawd for that.

using my K/D as a VARY informal measure.....

First few days of binge playing after release I had a 2.04 K/D. It started dropping fast. Some of this was players getting up to speed. And that was expected. But then at the end of week one it massively dipped. Magic deaths all over the place. Dropped down to 1.81 and I changed how I played a tad to minimize ESP hacks and to an extent aim stuff. More cover at all times and that sort of thing. Moving to when one of the last patches and clearly anti cheat started catching the common ones started undoing my informal hack detector hits. Been going up .01 per about 8 hours. Now at 1.93. But those hacks where common for weeks so a lot of damage. Again, this is just my informal hack O rama detector. Just to gauge the mystery magic deaths. Since I played all the beta waves and not changed how I played THAT much up to that point I think this mildly valid as my personal hack gauge.

Its not like a huge number where hacking. They where not. But enough to be VARY noticeable and reflected in my informal hack O rama detector. Still for math geeks the effect is noteworthy to me. I would expect every legit player regardless of K/D saw similar stuff if poking about the stats now and then.

Upvote 0
We have been happy with the Anticheats in place and are seeing results. In addition, we recommend taking advantage of the server options for VAC as Floyd mentioned, the vote kick feature, reporting suspected cheaters to admins and server owners, and using the report feature on Steam profiles. Information can also be sent to EAC.

Reactions: gimpy117
Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2301271 said:
50 metres.

it isn't that far away lol. Sounds legit to me.

killing one or 2 at that distance with pistol its possible i know,I've done it too,but 4 successful consecutive Head Shots on 4 players moving from different angles/directions ? this players are not just stand still in the middle of a clear road/street, i guess you miss the 4 CONSECUTIVE HEAD SHOTS part...

Upvote 0
Sgt.Ro;n2301309 said:
killing one or 2 at that distance with pistol its possible i know,I've done it too,but 4 successful consecutive Head Shots on 4 players moving from different angles/directions ? this players are not just stand still in the middle of a clear road/street, i guess you miss the 4 CONSECUTIVE HEAD SHOTS part...

He pulled that off once even by your story.

No to mention you don't actually know the distance of every kill.

Upvote 0
Ya, I have gotten folks out to 98 meters with a pistol. They are a bit easy to use really. Could I do that standing off hand here in reality? Well ya, after firing 20 rounds I might land 1 or 2 once I figured out the hold over. But thats at the range with no stress. In combat.. ya right.... Its the game and players not wanting to go that far on realism. Everyone is a crack uber Olympic level shooter, even better than them.

But I do think a newer version of ESP hack is out there in small numbers right now. Has not got sniffed out yet by the anti cheat. Or simply a one off as its just one guy I KNOW is using something.

Upvote 0