• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

Would you like for this series to finally have realistically portrayed peep sights?

• Yes, I prefer that the sights of all weapons ingame are represented as realistically as possible

Votes: 34 85.0%
  • No, this would make US weapons too powerful

Votes: 6 15.0%

• Total voters
Lemonater47;n2284692 said:
You said you wanted it those old pictures. Of the early trailers. When those sights are too thin. Which would be, I don't know incorrect maybe? Becuase they would still be that thin even if you weren't aiming.

Also please stop saying I have zero real life experiance. You obviously aren't understanding what I'm saying, so are trying to assume things about me because of it.

NorthDumpling said:
Sorry, but in REAL LIFE, sight is not thin , so its much MORE realistic if the sight will be a pinhole, of course some more liberties can be taken to make it more thin to emulate eye vision, which is currently perfect in RS, but the problem is game does not have eye vision emulation while ADS and there wont be any justifiable excuses to make it how you want it, so please refrain from your crazy ideas about making actual sight more thin that it is in real life.

Actually, they are very thin because the proper sight picture focuses on the front sight post. Though the opening of the rear sight aperture is less than 0.2 inches wide, what you actually see is a nearly hair-thin ring with a thicker transparent 'shadow' around the very thin solid portion of the sight. The ring literally shrinks to almost nothing when viewed correctly.

Here's an example from the US Army study guide:

d0009.gif

And examples from the Marine Corps:

usmcSightpicture.jpg

Reactions: Unus Offa Unus Nex
Upvote 0
trippedbywire;n2286423 said:
I don't think they need to be fully realistic, just need to be easy to see through in general. Some weapons in RS1 were completely unusable because of the peep sites taking up the whole screen and making it impossible to spot the target you just saw in front of you.

Yes, the unrealistically restrictive sight picture not only hurts realism but also gameplay as the weapon becomes less fun to use, that's one of the points I was trying to get across as well.

If you watch some gameplay you'll see that players with the M16 (or M14) always tend to hold their sights way below where they expect enemies to turn up, and that purely so that they have a decent chance of seeing anything due to the overly obstructive sights, forcing them to take snap shots and affording them little chance to effectively lead a moving target.
By comparison when playing with the AK47 players are capable of simply holding their sights right dead on where they expect the enemy as the sights don't inhibit their FOV the slighest. This is an unrealistic advantage the AK47 (or any with notch sights) only has ingame, it doesn't ever appear in reality.

Thus hopefully the devs will eventually see sense and address this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well, to be honest, making snap shots with a weapon using peep sights might realistically include having your weapon pointed slightly low, until your target is in sight. This means that, even with 'ghostier' rings, it could take longer to acquire a target using peep sights than notch sights because it may take an extra fraction of a second to get a proper sight picture.

HOWEVER, when you expect to shoot a target at very close range, you probably would be looking slightly over your ring sight and using only the front post. Either way, you probably aim slightly low.

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2286608 said:
well, to be honest, making snap shots with a weapon using peep sights might realistically include having your weapon pointed slightly low, until your target is in sight. This means that, even with 'ghostier' rings, it could take longer to acquire a target using peep sights than notch sights because it may take an extra fraction of a second to get a proper sight picture.

HOWEVER, when you expect to shoot a target at very close range, you probably would be looking slightly over your ring sight and using only the front post. Either way, you probably aim slightly low.

In real life I usually aim straight at the place where I expect the target to appear, and leading with the peep sights isn't a problem at all. Same as with the notch sights tbh, I don't notice any difference in FOV between the two sights unless we're talking the very small pinhole match sights - but even with those you can see more than you can with the L sight on the M16 ingame LMAO :D

Upvote 0
exhausted;n2286914 said:
I just handled an SA-58 today. I have never seen a standard issue peep sight so small -- I don't even think the pointy end of a small safety pin would fit through it. Yet, when I looked through the sights, the edges almost disappeared.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to say all along.

Let me tell you it's pretty damn frustrating sitting with an AR-15 looking through the sights and then comparing it to what the sight picture looks like in this game, it's just a horrible representation, nothing less, and I really think the developers ought to finally add some realism to this aspect of the game.

I mean take a look at the ingame sight picture of the M16's long range "L" marked peep ring, can't see a flipping thing with it, infact its utterly useless. It's nothing like that in real life at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AMG, please fix this before the launch, the M16 and in particular the M14 is a pain to use atm due to the sights - I won't even begin to mention the Grease Gun, but to me it's also less important due to it being much less typical for the period.

Just revert back to something like this (below) for the M16, and open the M14 sights a little more than what it is right now:
Spoiler!

The above is a much more realistic sight picture, and it will remove the unrealistic FOV advantage the VC weapons have atm.

IMHO the game is absolutely amazing besides from this issue.

Reactions: Patu.Kuovi
Upvote 0
AKs in this game are so much realistic according to american point of view (aka commie weapon = inaccuracy ****) . at 70m. standing still target .semi auto 10 shot 4 hit .
m16 on the other hand snipe people above 100m
in real life i never have any problem hitting target at 150m in range with my old *** AK 3 time more than my age in army
i don't want to say AK is highly accurate and m16 aren't . but 40 50% accuracy at 70m with stand still target with semi auto AK ? no wonder american think a triangle have 4 sides

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Golden_Peanut
Upvote 0
SeptemberSnow;n2300865 said:
AKs in this game are so much realistic according to american point of view (aka commie weapon = inaccuracy ****) . at 70m. standing still target .semi auto 10 shot 4 hit .
m16 on the other hand snipe people above 100m
in real life i never have any problem hitting target at 150m in range with my old *** AK 3 time more than my age in army
i don't want to say AK is highly accurate and m16 aren't . but 40 50% accuracy at 70m with stand still target with semi auto AK ? no wonder american think a triangle have 4 sides
You know AMG is located in England right?

Upvote 0