• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Aiming

Geheme

Aug 7, 2006
I don't want to see Red Orchestra becoming a "run and gun", but after playing during one year, I always feel frustrated by two things.

To use toggle aiming only with iron sight. In most FPS it's possible to choose between two options : toggle or hold. When I have to move quickly to avoid a grenade, I always get stuck with the iron sight in the eye.

Also, aiming is really slow, as if each soldier is a 16 years rookie sending on the eastern front after two weeks of training who don't understand he is fighting for his own life. If I am suddenly face to face with an enemy, i don't think I will aim slowly, in less than a second, the sights are in front of my eye and I shoot. The duration of the animation could be regulated with the weight of the weapon and the stamina of the player.

although bringing a weapon to your eye is faster than what you see, they take in amount the aligning of sights aswell in here. Which together give you the current time. Sure you can bring it up fast to your eyes and get an reasonably accurate shot off but you cant with thesame speed bring it to your eye for a long range 300m shot. I think ro picked some sort of an average.

Inability to stop an action halfway is indeed annoying, when you want to run away. Although often the ability to stop things halfway is a big door opening to lots of bugs.

Upvote 0
Besides, it is already possible to have the sights work with "hold" instead of toggle.
Here is how to do it (from the unofficial tweak guide):
Scroll down the binds at the top of the .ini (= Steam/SteamApps/Common/red orchestra/system/RedOrchestra.ini. Open it with a text editor of your choice. For example with WordPad) until you find the button you use for iron sights. Paste this on to the line:
RightMouse=ROIronsights | Onrelease ROironsights

(it is RightMouse here because that's what the writer had set it to. If you have set it to another button, past everything after the "=" after the "=" of the line of the button you whish to use. You can also have different buttons for toggling the sights and activating the sights. It doesn't work 100% so sometimes they won't go away and in that case having an extra button for the toggling somewhere might come in handy.)

There is some problems with this tweak in that the gun doesnt always release when you let go of the button. Its rough but its the only option as of now.
That stuff in the brackets is additional info added by me.
Good luck.

Upvote 0