• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Steam Browser Numbers Incorrect

Munro

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
www.2ndmarines.net
I'll refer you all to a post I made in the Bug Report area, but it was suggested that I try here too, so I'm going to.

OP: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1235367#post1235367

Please give that a read and perhaps reply to this thread, as I'm hoping to attract the attention of someone who may know a bit more about how the server/steam interacts with querying. Gametracker does a phenominal job of being accurate, so perhaps this is a Steam issue, or perhaps something buggy in the engine?

I'd just like to know, because there are a LOT of misleading numbers for people looking to join the game off of Steam.

Cheers and thanks :)

edit: In that OP there is a discussion about bots, so it's been decided that while it might have something to do wth bots, it is still incorrect.

Its not really all that mis-leading. Try the following:

Right click on the title bar (where it says servers). Check the box that says bots.

Then an icon will show up for servers that have active bots. If there are no active bots, then the icon will dis-appear. If you want to delve further and find out how many real players there are on the server, right click on the server name and select "view server info". The number shown there will be human players only.

Its a great way to see:
(a) If a server has active bots
(b) If it has bots, how many are active players.

There are some people who absolutely refuse to play with bots. Whether there are one or sixty. (Don't shoot the messenger. Its been a hot topic around here before).

See the pic below:

Attachments

• marineserver.jpg
    marineserver.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I guess I'll make a TL;DNR version:

- Server is set minplayer = 50 (50 slots minimum)
- Web panel shows 25 v 25 player in-game
- Steam listing shows 42/64 slots used.
- Detailed steam listing shows 9/64 (shows players, not bots, I get that)

Yes I understand there are 9 real players, that's not the issue, at all. The issue is that the number 42 should be 50 if that count included bots, as someone suggested it did. I really just want to know where the number 42 is coming from. I feel like this is a bug with tripwires code OR Steam and what's misleading is that it's a seemingly arbitrary number, making people think there's a lot more players than there are, bots or not.

I'm actually starting to lose interest in this topic.

Upvote 0
I have the suspicion that the player count got somehow bugged with the RS integration. We had it a few times that the player count was higher than the actual number of players on the TWIL ladder servers (without bots). Due to that the players got locked up in the lobby (because those none existing players couldn't ready up).

Upvote 0