• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Everyone loves a good debate... PC Gamer Article

I agree with all which was said in the interview, I like the view of points John have.

But my question is than: Why is RO2 like it is now?

My first impression of the Beta in September 2011 where "wow".. but after some hours of gameplay I only think "oh god it feels like something between BF and CoD". (without playing the Action mode)

But i have buy the game to play it and i have recommend it to all of my friends 62/88 have buy RO2 (60 of them own RO1, too)

But nearly no one play it :(

But I hope the gameplay will change a lot sometime. I hope a lot of people will come back to play RO.

I only play classic, because I don

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played over 800 hours of RO:OST, less then 50 of HOS and most of that was my clan and I *****ing about how they went to hard after the COD players and **** all over there hardcore fans. They where perfectly positioned to go after the COD player looking for more realism and the ARMA player looking for something a little less like a simulator. Instead we got a cheap COD knockoff. Don't hype a game as realism and sell a casual shooter.

All this article proves they don't understand gamers, their customers. All the games they complained about are enjoyable to people not every game has to be hardcore realism.

I Really liked L4D and I don't know what he's talking about that it doesn't get your hard pounding. Played several vs. matches where it came down to skill and team work to survive or use the infected at the right time.

Upvote 0
Now can you tell me why I felt this fear in RO1, but not in RO2 ?
I think you've got battle hardened. If you want to call it that way. Its not the game, its you. Its like in Vietnam or any other war actually. The new guys are scared, they are hugging the trees after every shot etc, while the LTs and other high ranked soldiers have seen enough battle to simply don't care or they know that nothing's gonna happen because they were in the same situation before. Its the same in RO. I am seeing new low level players to take cover or to stop and think what to do near places that look dangerous for them. You can see and hear bullets hitting the wall near them, you can see pieces flying of the bouncing bullets and this is scaring the new guys. But I've been through all this and I know that nothing's gonna happen, the bullets wont go through this exact wall so there's nothing to be afraid off. You can feel fear if don't know what to do or you can fear the unknown. As RO vet, you already know what to do to not get killed and you know what you are facing so its completely normal not to be afraid.

Upvote 0
Serious question for the devs: how many of the original UT2k3/2k4 mod devs are still on the team?
I ask because RO2 is the first RO game without any direct ties to the UT2k3/2k4 mod. So it's the first game where the influence of a new dev-team would truly be apparent. And that might explain the different 'soul'/'Identity' people perceive in RO2.

Upvote 0
Wanted to respond to Ramm's post.

2) Misconception - "RO2 has failed."
How many of these sales are bases on hype and loyal fans? I for one won’t be getting any TW game until after release and may just skip it all together.

3) Misconception - "Tripwire tried to design RO2 to be more like COD for the initial launch."
Internal or not that’s how it played. Unlocks would have been ok if it didn’t take so damn long. Also, some of the unlock are a huge advantage over the base and it turned the game in to a bot grind to get the top unlocks. If it was supposed to be an introduction the time it took should have been a few hours not months.

4) Misconception - "Action mode is a useless failure because nobody plays it".
That would have been fine if it was to get new players but to many of the compromises blead over to the “normal” game.

5) Misconception - "Tripwire tried to please everybody and pleased nobody".
Dito got sales at the expense of your current fan base. I think I was more sell a game as realism well making a casual shooter for the masses.

6) Misconception - "Tripwire doesn't care about competitive play".
Too little to late. My clan has moved on. Just tried to get them to reinstall HOS got a few then we played for 30 minutes and uninstalled. There may be a ladder but I don’t see it being people from the OST days.

7) I get what you’re saying and it was really cool to watch RO grow. It just looks like TW is going in a completely different direction with RO then from where it started. The funny thing about the article was it was at the same time bashing casual gamers and games well trying to sell it to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the post Ramm, really helpful that you do this more often, you know.

A question though: Can you or Yoshiro comment on why you are focusing on RS even though there are still some areas that obviously need a spiff up? (Tanks, squad menu re-design, especially tanks though.) unless you plan to make these changes along with the RS update.

Upvote 0
What I always hate is when comparing games to cod "dumbed-down" is mixed up with easy and a low skill ceiling.
Red Orchestra is just hard because you die so easily but that doesn't make it a skillful game. Those 2 thing are mutually exclusive. Take aiming skill for example - In realistic games you die from pretty much one shot. One shot which is easy to pull off from players from any skill-level. If players in a game would need to hit their enemy 10 times, then you would actually see a bigger difference between a highly skilled player vs a low skilled one, because he had much more room to show the difference in skill.
It's the same thing in battlefield games where all the people playing "hardcore" mode actually think they play the more skillful version of the game. That's total bs.
The reason why I'm writing that is because RO2 made a huge step backwards in terms of the skill-ceiling compared to ostfront.
Why TWI didn't manage to keep that skillfulness for RO2 is because they don't understand what made ostfront good for comp-gaming and it rather happened by coincidence and "unrealistic" features.
One reason why pretty much all the top tier mod and Ostfront comp players/teams left the game and only a handful middle tier players, who don't understand very much about competitive gaming, remain in the game.

^ this

Upvote 0

A question though: Can you or Yoshiro comment on why you are focusing on RS even though there are still some areas that obviously need a spiff up? (Tanks, squad menu re-design, especially tanks though.) unless you plan to make these changes along with the RS update.

We hope to tackle much of this with the Rising Storm update.

Upvote 0

Speaking of "spiff up's" how about a game breaker that's never been fixed...

"cannot prone here"

I've been playing FPS since wolfenstein 3D and I've never seen another modern shooter with this issue.. It just screams - broken game mechanic. It's not well suited for competitive play in my opinion.

Upvote 0

We hope to tackle much of this with the Rising Storm update.

Well, if you think about it, rising storm and red orchestra uses the same build. So many of the bugs in ro2 will be in rs. I know they are heavily testing rising storm, so they can fix the bugs in the game and heavily test it at the same time. When rising storm is ready, the bug fixes can be applied to the base game as well. It would probably take more man power to try and separate the fixes from rs and apply to ro2 as mini updates than a big update when rs is released.

Upvote 0
Speaking of "spiff up's" how about a game breaker that's never been fixed...

"cannot prone here"

I've been playing FPS since wolfenstein 3D and I've never seen another modern shooter with this issue.. It just screams - broken game mechanic. It's not well suited for competitive play in my opinion.

Isn't that to stop people from going prone in spaces where it would look ridiculous? If there's not enough space to lie down I don't consider it a game breaker

Upvote 0
Really? Now he's badmouthing the very playerbase he wanted, but failed to attract? What's the use of that?

IMHO it's just a weak try of Mr. Gibson to spark some controversy to gain a tad more coverage for Rising Storm.

Also, I think Jim Sterling's comment on Mr. Gibsons rant hits the nail on the head:
http://www.destructoid.com/did-call-of-duty-ruin-a-generation-of-gamers--248666.phtml

So Gibson tried to make Red Orchestra 2 appeal to CoD fans in particular, then got frustrated when those CoD fans wanted things from CoD in it? What? Huh? That ... doesn't make sense.

Weirdly, people who were very used to playing little else but Call of Duty struggled to play a game that was different to Call of Duty. Who knew!?

Gibson clearly isn't a fan of the way Call of Duty does things, and that's fine -- there are many FPS fans that dislike it, and prefer other games. But to blame Call of Duty for "ruining" gamers, as if it doesn't have a right to exist and be popular, strikes me as silly. Tripwire will likely earn a lot of fans for dissing what is, essentially, the Twilight Saga of videogames, but Gibson is basically wrong in several ways.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go and be mad at some dogs for always wanting to eat dog food designed for dogs to eat with their dog mouths.

Upvote 0
loyal fans?I remember just two servers full in the last two years before RO2 was launched...Peak around 400...

Yep but I bet every single one of them got at least one more friend to buy the game (I pre-ordered 4 copies)! We were in love with TWI and I'm pretty sure our word of mouth brought more players to pre-order the game than the advertises...

Upvote 0