• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map [MAP] Winterwald

I am still hoping to see more full server games. Germans keep pushing E instead of taking and holding F. I want to see new strategies evolve before I make any big balance changes.
that is a smart idea. there's no rush to change things up too much. let it play out and make sure what you change is right. it's a fine map. it deserves patience. :D

Upvote 0
I think I might take away the initial arty strike and add random mortar on the fields. If you haven't noticed, the Russians are in possession of a few mortars. So it might be an idea to have random mortars hit the field and actually kill players. This might frustrate people so I do not know if I should do this.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you heard my points last night on the Aussie / NZ server.

There are a few patches of indestructible grass in F (Eastern Forest) where bullets get blocked as well as explosives.

Mortars randomly dropping throughout the map would be alright, as long as it wasn't in predetermined spots and it was truly random where they landed, then I'd be alright with being killed by that random factor. :) Also maybe the mortars could stop dropping once that bunker area where all the mortar positions are is captured by Axis?

The bunkers currently cannot see down the hill, but are usually very good to use when taking out people to the sides of the bunkers (the destructible ones in E I think), or were you thinking of replacing them with sandbag fortifications?

The half dug trenches you can get stuck on if you prone in some spots.

It is also difficult for Germans to see Russians when attacking up hill due to the bright sky box which makes it hard to see silhouettes. But once you've captured E and F and you move onto the heavy trench area before the AA guns, the lighting becomes very dark and saturated in the trenches (which I like - shows how grim the battle has become once you've reached the top of the hill and the ground becomes less steep).

Apart from those things which you probably already know about, I am loving this map. Love it to death. The hardest part about this map is not getting bogged down for too long on one point. The tickets seem just about right, but you have to be very wary of the time limit so you will find that you have five minutes to clear the AA guns and push onto the final point.

Also if you have tree's that get blown up, perhaps somehow replacing them with fallen ones would be good (if that isn't too difficult). There is very little cover for Axis assaulting the E and F without the tree's save the dead ground of some of the rolling hills. Also Russians with log fortifications would be neat to see. With ample tree's, I don't see it as unlikely that the Russians would cut down a few tree's and lay them down along the edge, might serve as an alternative to sand bags and barbed wire fences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if you heard my points last night on the Aussie / NZ server.

There are a few patches of indestructible grass in F (Eastern Forest) where bullets get blocked as well as explosives.

Mortars randomly dropping throughout the map would be alright, as long as it wasn't in predetermined spots and it was truly random where they landed, then I'd be alright with being killed by that random factor. :) Also maybe the mortars could stop dropping once that bunker area where all the mortar positions are is captured by Axis?

The bunkers currently cannot see down the hill, but are usually very good to use when taking out people to the sides of the bunkers (the destructible ones in E I think), or were you thinking of replacing them with sandbag fortifications?

The half dug trenches you can get stuck on if you prone in some spots.

It is also difficult for Germans to see Russians when attacking up hill due to the bright sky box which makes it hard to see silhouettes. But once you've captured E and F and you move onto the heavy trench area before the AA guns, the lighting becomes very dark and saturated in the trenches (which I like - shows how grim the battle has become once you've reached the top of the hill and the ground becomes less steep).

Apart from those things which you probably already know about, I am loving this map. Love it to death. The hardest part about this map is not getting bogged down for too long on one point. The tickets seem just about right, but you have to be very wary of the time limit so you will find that you have five minutes to clear the AA guns and push onto the final point.

Also if you have tree's that get blown up, perhaps somehow replacing them with fallen ones would be good (if that isn't too difficult). There is very little cover for Axis assaulting the E and F without the tree's save the dead ground of some of the rolling hills. Also Russians with log fortifications would be neat to see. With ample tree's, I don't see it as unlikely that the Russians would cut down a few tree's and lay them down along the edge, might serve as an alternative to sand bags and barbed wire fences.

Thanks for great feedback. The plant blocking issue is fixed in next beta. Bunkers are gone and replaced with sandbag forts. Its too hard to make fallen trees work well. I will consider more logs around map.

It will be hard for me to fix stuck on prone areas without screenshots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As an experiment, I decided to place Winterwald in a back to back rotation with "Bridges." on our 24/7 server. It is my hope that this will have some benefits for both maps. Harley has expressed some degree of concern that "Bridges" is being over-played. And Winterwald is a good new map with great potential that may need a little more exposure. Both will be at an arms reach 24/7 for folks impressed by these two fine pieces of work. All of the other fine maps will continue to be available on our #1 and #3 vote servers. Thanks for enduring my shameless pitch. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played this map for the first time today and I have to say: Good work. Overall, it's a map that forces players to work as a team (and move carefully), and the map always shows a front line of sorts that's creeping up (or stuck somewhere..).

However- and this is a personal preference- it's definitely an intense map, as anybody who tries to rush forward alone would probably get cut down. It's also tiring to play- out of all the RO2 maps, this one really tires like no other, as one has to keep looking everywhere, and there is a high level of disorientation due to the forest. I'm crouching 3/4ths of the time, and moving from cover to cover.

Once I moved up the map, only to find that I had passed a squad or Russians who were going downhill..suffering from tunnel vision of sorts...I immediately shot them all from the flank, but that's the kind of thing that often happens.

I did spot one glitch though- the German team was trying to kill a russian dp gunner from a certain spot, but he was unkillable. I and another unloaded 40 rounds at him with a G41 130 meters away, but he simply wouldn't die. Others fired at him, and the invincible man simply was pinned down like crazy for a while.

Another tendency I noticed during my game- Once the Germans reach the Russian positions, and cluster around them- the russians are finished. They can't hold the defense without being shot at.

So there was little russian resistance during the subsequent house to house, trench to trench, and hill to hill fights.

The arduous part for attackers is getting to the cap zone, rather than taking the cap zone itself.

Upvote 0
I played this map for the first time today and I have to say: Good work. Overall, it's a map that forces players to work as a team (and move carefully), and the map always shows a front line of sorts that's creeping up (or stuck somewhere..).

However- and this is a personal preference- it's definitely an intense map, as anybody who tries to rush forward alone would probably get cut down. It's also tiring to play- out of all the RO2 maps, this one really tires like no other, as one has to keep looking everywhere, and there is a high level of disorientation due to the forest. I'm crouching 3/4ths of the time, and moving from cover to cover.

Once I moved up the map, only to find that I had passed a squad or Russians who were going downhill..suffering from tunnel vision of sorts...I immediately shot them all from the flank, but that's the kind of thing that often happens.

I did spot one glitch though- the German team was trying to kill a russian dp gunner from a certain spot, but he was unkillable. I and another unloaded 40 rounds at him with a G41 130 meters away, but he simply wouldn't die. Others fired at him, and the invincible man simply was pinned down like crazy for a while.

Another tendency I noticed during my game- Once the Germans reach the Russian positions, and cluster around them- the russians are finished. They can't hold the defense without being shot at.

So there was little russian resistance during the subsequent house to house, trench to trench, and hill to hill fights.

The arduous part for attackers is getting to the cap zone, rather than taking the cap zone itself.

Yes. G, D, and K cap will increase in difficulty for the next beta. I am hoping that each objective will take around 5 to 7 minutes to cap. (Not including A, and counting B and C as one and H I J as one)

Just expect that this map will be even more intense for the next beta.

Upvote 0
Yes. G, D, and K cap will increase in difficulty for the next beta. I am hoping that each objective will take around 5 to 7 minutes to cap. (Not including A, and counting B and C as one and H I J as one)

Just expect that this map will be even more intense for the next beta.

What happened during my game was this: Since the team moved as one unit, often there was 20-15 guys enveloping one Soviet defensive position after they cleared out the woods. Then the joke was the Russians- you have 15, 20 Germans shooting at them from concealed woodlands into the streets, houses, etc. The Russians don't last too long and fold from that display of firepower.

So, just a preliminary observation: The Russian defensive works (streets, trenches, buildings, etc.) could be more built up. As in, built up into a defensive hedgehog. Stronger trench defense, more fixed-emplaced Maxims, more buildings with firing breaches and floors. It's already tough for the Russians, as they, at capzone- are surrounded by an entire hostile forest some 270 degrees around them.

I'll give you a better comment once I play as Russians next time, but I think that the Russians need to be able to suppress the attackers somewhat rather than get cut down and pushed out of final defenses.

My rounds essentially went like this: 50, or a full hour of slow German advance nearly across the entire map with a final German victory. Some balance issues may be here, I can't say for 100% sure yet, though.

Upvote 0