• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

On Splitting The Community

The classic mode supporters were the ones that split the community in the first place. It didnt matter to them as long as they got what they wanted. Their normal retort was "you dont have to play it!"

Now they push this classic only because the realization has hit them that maybe classic isnt as popular as they thought and they cant fill many servers.

i find it laughable they worry about the community being split, so they propose that classic be the only mode.......I like classic ok, but i like realism better.....And yes, I am an RO1 vet of many years...I didnt like the movement then and I dont like movement in classic now...

i liked ROHOS when it first came out without the classic mode and I like it better now that the realism mode has been tweaked further.

Why dont you guys give it a break for a while and see how it plays out...

No, it wasn't, it was TWI's decision with the game in the first place. They promised a lot and it was all watered down in the end with three different modes that were more or less identical to each other. Its funny how people got upset when I made my proposal to force Classic Mode upon everyone. Well then these people know what most roosters felt about RO2. Difference is, a lot of people had to wait for over six months, and still you can't even do a basic command such as enter and exit the tank. TWI have really tried to change worse for the better and I applaud them for that, but blaming the community because of TWI's own decisions is not right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, it wasn't, it was TWI's decision with the game in the first place. They promised a lot and it was all watered down in the end with three different modes that were more or less identical to each other. Its funny how people got upset when I made my proposal to force Classic Mode upon everyone. Well then these people know what most roosters felt about RO2. Difference is, a lot of people had to wait for over six months, and still you can't even do a basic command such as enter and exit the tank. TWI have really tried to change worse for the better and I applaud them for that, but blaming the community because of TWI's own decisions is not right.

YES it was and all the double-talk from you isn't going to EVER change that fact.

For someone who rarely if ever plays the game you sure have an awful lot to say.

Reactions: r5cya and TrOOper
Upvote 0
I never wanted Classic mode. I just wanted them to make the base game not terrible. I propose Classic as the base because Realism and especially Action mode are ridiculous. They feel like DoD:S. I literally strafe shots with the rifle.
And I do play RO2, Classic, whenever I get the chance. However most of the time I'm forced to play on a UK server because TWI doesn't seem to have Official Classic servers up.

And Holy Death, I don't mean TWI tried to accommodate fire and ice with the gamemodes, I meant it in terms of the core gameplay fundamentals. RO2 on release was a sham.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, never have I seen such a systematic collective character assassination of a former player base than what has happened here over the last few months. Is there really any great wonder why so many Roosters still wouldn't touch RO2 with a sterile barge pole even if the game does go on to cure at least two forms of cancer.

Truer words were never spoken.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
I'm not going to touch the bulk of this argument with a ten foot iron bar, but I will say that the game on release was a great disappointment to me personally and Classic has done nothing to change that. There have been some changes for the better in Realism, but I feel that new game modes only exacerbate the game's problems, not fix them. It'd be nice if the community could go five minutes without lampooning each other over which is better and instead work out one game mode which keeps us history spergs happy without scaring people away.

Of course, I am more worried about realism than accessibility, and I think RO's niche in a way protected it from the kinds of crap we have to tolerate in other MP games (even if it did come with a few issues entirely of its own)... but I also care about gameplay. I'm not impossible to please, but I have come to expect certain things from TWI, and this game delivered very few of them. Some people love it. I personally don't. I just can't stop playing it, since it's really all I have for 'Eastern Front MP that isn't clunky as hell' - and the gunplay is top notch.

As to whether this collaboration actually happen, or how it will happen? I've basically lost hope by now. I enjoy the gunplay and the game can be fun at times, but there's always that lingering thought of what could have been. Hopefully the community will work something out one day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cry me a river! You have no credibility....I should listen to someone who doesnt play the game but whines constantly???? Sheesh! get a grip man!

Upvote 0
Actually I think you'll find that if TWI bent a little bit we'd have one mode. Look, TWI did state that a Classic mode was always on the cards so this so-called 'split' in the community was always going to happen, and yet here you are still trying to offload a metric f_ckton of blame onto the wrong people. Nice one.

Honestly, never have I seen such a systematic collective character assassination of a former player base than what has happened here over the last few months. Is there really any great wonder why so many Roosters still wouldn't touch RO2 with a sterile barge pole even if the game does go on to cure at least two forms of cancer.

TWI 'bent' enough to develop another mode for a few hundred people who wanted to play Ostfront style, again. It's an accomodation. Play it. Better yet, put your money where your mouth is and financially support classic servers.

I give money to servers.

I'm a "rooster". There are many people playing the game who are "roosters", as well. There isn't a central authority of the "roosters".

This 'woe is me' attitude is pathetic. Play classic. It's good.

Upvote 0
Cry me a river! You have no credibility....I should listen to someone who doesnt play the game but whines constantly???? Sheesh! get a grip man!

I think there is a very apt and very well written post earlier in this thread about people whining about whining. It is very thoughtful, I think you should check it out. I think instead of complaining about 'crying', you should offer your own opinions and advice, hmm? I'm open to it and would like to hear it, rather than just your empty character criticisms.

TWI seems to have gotten the majority of complaints off their back - most people simply appear to be relieved that this recent GOTY update (which I appreciate immensely) has alleviated the most glaring problems with the game, such as performance. But it was only a beating around of the bush; the fundamental gameplay mechanics are still quite in shambles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
------ snip ------
the fundamental gameplay mechanics are still quite in shambles.

Really?? What Game are you playing if at all. Perhaps all the Admins should take their servers down if its in such a state of shambles.... Go away with your NEGATIVE BS. We've had enough!

You don't like any part of the game? Go play Chinese Checkers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tone down, people. If you can't then don't post. Turning discussion into flame war will not be tolerated.

Spacehogking said:
But it was only a beating around of the bush; the fundamental gameplay mechanics are still quite in shambles.
What do you mean by that? I play Classic myself and except for hipfiring machine gunner I'd have quite a problem to make any more gameplay changes.

Upvote 0
People aren't chained to playing one game or another. If you are so upset about HOS, and can't reconcile yourself to play any of the 3 game modes it is in, then don't play the game. Go try Iron Front '44, or something. Get on their forums.

"EDIT: You know what, screw it. I can't be bothered with this nonsense any longer."

Me, too. It would be great to spend our mental energies on new content development ideas.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
This thread is turning out to be really, really apporpriately named. Perhaps it'd be more constructive to discuss - without getting personal and trying not to get too snarky - why you do/don't like the various game modes, and how you feel things could be improved?

As long as things continue on like they have been over the last page or so (I have tried to avoid this thread until recently, and I now see that was a pretty good idea), nobody will be happy and nothing will improve. Both sides are to blame so please don't take this as a further reason to snipe at each other.

I of all people shouldn't have to be the one to point this out...

Upvote 0
Any type of community split is purely the fault of the developers.

I remember a quote from Ramm when the game launched: "Let the revolution begin!"

There was no revolution. There was a thinly viewed CoD copy released, with many different variations. This by definition splits the community.

A proper way to revolutionize the shooting genre was to make a truly original offering based on the original title, and only one version of it. This would keep the community together, with the responsibility of training, teaching, and retention of newbs left to veterans and developers.

There was a huge community watching this release. The community was thinned from the outset by the un-originality of RO2, and the many versions of it. Instead of giving the huge community something to gravitate to, they gave the community something to move away from.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by that? I play Classic myself and except for hipfiring machine gunner I'd have quite a problem to make any more gameplay changes.

Yeah I agree. Anything else is mostly nitpicking. It really is.

And I have to say, some of you are worse than women remembering and bringing up stuff that happened a long time ago (9-12 months is a long time in the gaming world). With three modes there are more than enough choices, unless you insist on super-nitpicking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

And I have to say, some of you are worse than women remembering and bringing up stuff that happened a long time ago (9-12 months is a long time in the gaming world). With three modes there are more than enough choices, unless you insist on super-nitpicking.

Including all the enemy location indicators?

Is that nit-picking?

If yes, the shooting community is at an all time low.

Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
It's not that simple as men are different and can have different views on the matter. The most important is to identify the problem. I, for one, simply can't find anymore problems with game mechanics and that's why I ask for clarification. Lack of content and good teamwork is now primary issue for me for the community as a whole.

For teamwork:

I started wondering for a while and I think that most of our problems would be gone with really good training camp, because most errors are made by people who has no idea about Small Arms Tactics. Stalingrad - I think - is a perfect place to "show and explain" exactly that; snipers, close quarters combat, covering fire (MG and practically anybody)... That's the base for some real teamwork, 3D VOIP can help, but if people start using Small Arms Tactics in game it think the only difference between Classic and Realism would be their pace (reaction time, etc.).

For content:

- Fixing SDK.
- Supporting custom content.
- Supporting content from TWI.

I'll repeat myself again - I don't see how making separated game modes (allowing more people to play) can be bad for the game, if we start addressing prime concerns (of course, there are a lot of problems with many things, but first things first, as I say). The only thing that "separates" the playerbase is the pace of the game, but content and teamwork (among the other things) is pretty common for them all.

Upvote 0