• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm is now on the Steam store.

preordered DDE RO2 back in the day,
if I can get RS for less than 10 bucks I might eventually pay for a full access toybox if it turns out a decent technical overhaul.

Right now I don't expect it to be that and think RS will be a a total conversion mod with intelligent graphical nuances to make it look that tad better.

I'm having enough fun with RO2 to play it a lot right now, but there's only so much to discover before you learn to play around glitches and bugs. If they'd pay a dude to work on the AI for a month and just come up with nice Spielbergian behaviour patterns, and mix in an opt-in checkbox for human players to track their movement and to generate waypoints from that. Holy smokes this would be fun.

There's so much room for potential that I feel Tripwire is not really trying to go for.

They have a fun take on how their ideal game should be and ignore traditional concepts for the better and it is good for these reasons and fun. But for a video game that I paid 50 eurobucks for which was a lot to me back when it came out, I got a crap *** product by a team of modders who took on a new engine and couldn't do what they wanted.

There's so many shenanigans going wrong with it left and right. Nothing but the core features of shooting and dying work right, movement feels more crippled than authentic, that's just not realism. I find the core maps to be neither beautiful nor interesting to play on. Native voices have been done in a rush, with bits of english mixed in and a commentary guy going back to english no matter what you wanted. A match ends and you win a campaign that you should have lost, role kicking never gets done in time because ppl can not just hit ESC real quick precisely because their team depends on them to play their roles. Decisive enemy artillery simply gets called for both sides, single player is a joke I just don't take serously, same for the persistency system that never has and never will be precise enought to begin with and to top it all off, they screwed that up b4reset as some of you know.

I'll be having fun with RS but' I'll wait and see what their tease of a technical overhaul turns out like, maybe they turned it into a real smooth game that you can start up and play for everything thats supposedly in it. Maybe they've gotten so far with restructuring their band of daring modders toward such a demanding market and audience that they can now deliver a game that does not fall apart left and right. They've so certainly gotten their ideals straight it would be a shame not to live up to them with a stable architecture of a user interface that you can use to be guided by, I have to work around it with every choice I make in the game.

So yeah, best of luck to the TW guys, hope you can make the best of it.

Upvote 0
Why do so many people expect a discount when buying Risin Storm...?

I don't understand the thinking behind that. I can't remember a game title giving the next title release in a series out for free or with a large discount to current players.........

CoD and Battlefield series not only charge full $60.00 for the next game tittle released, they hit the owners for $15 per map pack, containing 4 maps each (all that already are in the single player, so its not like they actually had to make the maps), and 4 maps packs per game. So these players have $120 into a game. Tripwire releases its mod/mapping tools so the commuinty can inject new live into a game by making custom maps and different mods....

Take IL-2, you paid for each and every expanision pack that came out for it. So why do people want Tripwire to give RS away for free or at a discounted price.......?

Upvote 0
It better be a 75% discount.
I said it was free for you (i'd buy it for you) if you didn't bring it up again and added me on steam. you didn't add me on steam yet and now you're talking about the discount again. did you want it for free or did you just want to keep discussing how much of a discount you should get? :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I don't understand the thinking behind that. I can't remember a game title giving the next title release in a series out for free or with a large discount to current players.........

The simple answer to your question is that TWI and the RS team are including MP content from RO2 to all that purchase RS. Said another way, why should we have paid for RO2 if we were going to get it anyway with a single purchase of RS (RS buyers get two games for one price)?

That's just the logic of the thinking I'm pointing out. The thing is that the RS team and TWI have already said that RO2 owners will get a discount on RS. They just haven't released details so people around here get all goofy hypothesizing about what it might be and (in some cases) predetermining how badly they will get screwed by this. It's a bit of "chicken little" type response.

So, no worries. Whatever the discount, I'm cool with it and look forward to paying whatever they price it at. I cannot wait for it to release!

Upvote 0
so, you buy rs and get ro2 for free? sounds like ro2 players will have a discount on rs.

I think a lot of whats being missed here is that this is not solely a TWI production. RS has its own development team separate from TW. So for those of you who want it free , or near free for buying RO2, how do you figure that equates to pay for the RS (not TWI) team for their work? I think the forest is being missed here for the trees. The inclusion of RO2 multi player is so that they can both be played on the same server and folks wont get kicked off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so is Rising Storm, like, RO3 now or something ?? *twirls hair*

i admit i'm a little confused how "it's an standalone expansion pack" but "it's a separate game with previous RO2 content.." idea.

I guess this is one way TWI might be able to redefine RO2 - by redistributing it in a new game.I don't really want HOS to just get left behind though...

Also, I've complained before about the inconsistent titling of RO games.

"Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45"
"Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad"
"Rising Storm"

Might I suggest "Rising Storm: Pacific Theater 41-45" (or maybe a Japanese phrase ?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
.... I'm having enough fun with RO2 to play it a lot right now, but there's only so much to discover before you learn to play around glitches and bugs. If they'd pay a dude to work on the AI for a month and just come up with nice Spielbergian behaviour patterns, and mix in an opt-in checkbox for human players to track their movement and to generate waypoints from that. Holy smokes this would be fun.....

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1208894#post1208894
AI
  • Fixed many cases of AI getting stuck
  • Fixed AI not playing aggressively as attackers
  • Added greater situational awareness (and choices) for AI
  • Added ability for AI to use grenades
  • AI will now make better tactical decision (This is still a major WIP)

There's so much room for potential that I feel Tripwire is not really trying to go for.

They have a fun take on how their ideal game should be and ignore traditional concepts for the better and it is good for these reasons and fun. But for a video game that I paid 50 eurobucks for which was a lot to me back when it came out, I got a crap *** product by a team of modders who took on a new engine and couldn't do what they wanted.

There's so many shenanigans going wrong with it left and right. Nothing but the core features of shooting and dying work right, movement feels more crippled than authentic, that's just not realism.

Check out RO1 or ROCA for crippled movement. To me, RO2 feels more realistic than BF or CoD skating & gliding movement.

I find the core maps to be neither beautiful nor interesting to play on.

Your opinion.... last I checked, battlefields weren't known for their "Beauty"

Native voices have been done in a rush, with bits of english mixed in and a commentary guy going back to english no matter what you wanted.

Wouldn't know, I use the English

A match ends and you win a campaign that you should have lost,

Complaining about something that hasn't even been officially released yet & not supported by the devs (ie: still a WIP).... yeah that makes sense.

role kicking never gets done in time because ppl can not just hit ESC real quick precisely because their team depends on them to play their roles.

Then obviously they didn't do a good enough job or they wouldn't have had their role taken by the best player on the team.

Decisive enemy artillery simply gets called for both sides,

um what?

single player is a joke I just don't take serously,

Single Player in most FPS games these days is a joke not to be taken seriously..... your point?

same for the persistency system that never has and never will be precise enought to begin with and to top it all off, they screwed that up b4reset as some of you know.

I don't know... never heard of this before.... most of what you're complaining about is new to me or is just exaggerated.

Either way, there's a big bug fix coming anyways, which is noted my above link.

I'll be having fun with RS but' I'll wait and see what their tease of a technical overhaul turns out like, maybe they turned it into a real smooth game that you can start up and play for everything thats supposedly in it. Maybe they've gotten so far with restructuring their band of daring modders toward such a demanding market and audience that they can now deliver a game that does not fall apart left and right. They've so certainly gotten their ideals straight it would be a shame not to live up to them with a stable architecture of a user interface that you can use to be guided by, I have to work around it with every choice I make in the game.

So yeah, best of luck to the TW guys, hope you can make the best of it.

Really? The UI is that bad for you that you need to do a work around for everything you do in the game??

Really??

I'm not happy with a lot of the decisions TW has made in the past, but if you're going to be all angry and frustrated about things, at least try and be somewhat realistic and not exaggerate too much.

Upvote 0
I said it was free for you (i'd buy it for you) if you didn't bring it up again and added me on steam. you didn't add me on steam yet and now you're talking about the discount again. did you want it for free or did you just want to keep discussing how much of a discount you should get? :eek:

I won't bring it up again if you buy me one. I'll gladly add you to Steam. :p

About the mortars, I dislike the yellow arch but understand it was near worthless without it in gameplay. I wonder if it will become too effective/easy to use now.

Check out RO1 or ROCA for crippled movement. To me, RO2 feels more realistic than BF or CoD skating & gliding movement.

I much prefer BF3's and RO1's movement to RO2. RO1 is just much easier to navigate with the player and your face doesn't near sink into the floor when sprinting up a flight of stairs.

Likewise, BF3's movement has some heft to it, but is still responsive and easy to navigate. I like how running up a flight of stairs slows down the player. I was honestly impressed with the movement in many other instances as well, such as prone. RO2 feels abnormally floaty. I feel no connection with the ground, which isn't fitting for the gameplay style IMO.

CoD, last I played I didn't like it. But then again, I think everything since CoD4 has sunk to sub par and near budget studio quality, IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

• Because a lot of people got screwed in a number of ways when RO2 was originally launched and despite this, they stuck around for the long haul while many others left the game in frustration.

• Because TWI always provided free content to ROCA & RO1 in the past and this RS is the first time RO will have a paid DLC.

• Because those who buy Rising Storm get RO2 for Free, while those who already own RO2 still have to pay something for RS. (The Dev's own words / explanation)

• Because TWI said those who already have RO2 would get some sort of discount.

Take your pick.

It's not the Next Title Release.... it's an add on to RO2. If it wasn't, then it'd be a true stand alone game and not incorporated into RO2 as described. People buying RS wouldn't be getting RO2 for free (unless TW has a low view of the game)

CoD and Battlefield series not only charge full $60.00 for the next game tittle released, they hit the owners for $15 per map pack, containing 4 maps each (all that already are in the single player, so its not like they actually had to make the maps), and 4 maps packs per game. So these players have $120 into a game.

Which is one of the other reasons why I don't buy or play either BF or CoD games, because they're rip offs. If people want to be suckers to keep paying that much for a couple of extra maps or some extra two weapons, that's their problem.

I also play Chivalry Medieval Warfare, and they provide free content to their game..... When HL1 came out, Valve gave people TFC, CS, DoD for free. The sequels to those mods were stand alone games which were not included into HL2.

Rising Storm is not a sequel to RO2 nor is it a stand alone game, thus your example of CoD or BF charging $60 for a sequel (or $99 here in Australia) does not relate.

Tripwire releases its mod/mapping tools so the commuinty can inject new live into a game by making custom maps and different mods....

And?

The community being able to add content to RO is nothing new.... it has basically been the back bone for RO since 2004, keeping it alive.

Take IL-2, you paid for each and every expanision pack that came out for it. So why do people want Tripwire to give RS away for free or at a discounted price.......?

Another game I don't play, let alone paid for.

RO1 had Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum, which were free for those who owned RO1.... they were mods.

Rising Storm was to be a Mod for RO2 much like the above two games, except a few months back TW decided to take a hold of RS, bring in the mod team to work with them and incorporate it directly into RO2 so that both games share the same server browser (possibly to prevent the small community from getting further divided & add more to the RO2 community overall)

Because of this little factor, it's no longer a "Mod" of the game, but an "Expansion" due to being directly tied into RO2...... in my eyes, it's still a Mod.

From day one, I have had no interest in playing Rising Storm, nor do I have much interest in playing In Country Vietnam..... I do have interest in other mods however.... but now TW is shoving Rising Storm down my and everybody else's throat by putting it into the game, regardless if people want it or not.

Most do.... others do not.

So because it is being tossed at us and put into RO2 (where all I want at this stage is to play RO2).... and because of all of the issues many long time players went through from the start of RO2, such as a really buggy launch, unstable gameplay for months, many missing features that many expected would be in the game (Co-Op, MP Campaign, Transports, etc.).... yet they all stuck around.... many think there should be some sort of discount for those who stayed through it all.

One thing I am not looking forward to is playing RO2 on a server, enjoying my RO2 experience, only to be switched over to RS on the next map load...... again, I don't have much interest in playing Rising Storm, but it looks like I'm not going to have much of a choice in the matter.

And if I don't pay for Rising Storm, I'm going to be tossed in Rising Storm maps with limited content at my disposal against those who have everything for the game. Nobody knows what that limitation will be at this point... maybe you only can select one set of weapon load outs for each class.... maybe you are restricted to being just a rifleman.

So I either try and find another server running an RO2 map and leave again when a RS map loads up..... or I play on RS maps with limited content..... or I pay TW for a game I never wanted.... or I just stop playing if it becomes too damn annoying.

That's why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Praxius. You mentioned you were Australian. What server do you normally play on? I cannot recall playing against you even once.

Any server that has players playing and has a good ping.... I generally frequent the "SAW RO2 Server" (Realism) and "Aggamemnons RO2 Server" (Action).... depending on my mood at the time, though SAW is my main go-to server.

I don't play on the "Aussie / NZ Custom" because I don't like the server settings (It's mostly Classic, even though it's noted as Custom) and I don't have all the community maps installed.

Upvote 0