• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where the players gone ?

Where did everyone go? This is was bad first impressions do for you. Yes the oldskool RO1 players who have a history with the company & game might stick around to wait for the patch that will fix everything...But most people expect something to work from the get-go and pretty much lose confidence.
I give it a go once in a while but between the annoying first click mouse bug, the weird hit detection when a person is on the move, the lack of any fatigue having an impact on your aim, weapon swaying, questionable lags (and i mostly do 32p servers since 64 is nearly impossible, ... it's just the next generic shooter without any personality.

Dumb down enough for the people who search for realism to be put off, and not enough for the casual TF2, COD, ... player.

Upvote 0
Well, the game can't please everybody.

The servers seem to be pretty full to me. Once the bugs get worked out and the first wave of Steam Sales roll through, this game will really mature into it's own. It's just a shame that some people are so set in their old ways that they refuse to give credibility to any sort of change to those ways.

Adios, mate. I hope you find what you're looking for.

people like you killed this game. people who ignore the facts. player numbers and servers have been declining. its not about old ways, it's about gameplay and having fun. ro2 just downgraded required skill levels and made this a kids game like all the other arcade shooters. have you ever fired a rifle? it's nothing like the shooting in ro2. roost and mods were much closer to rl. now everybody is a sniper, even bf3 has more realistic shooting mechanics and this leaves no reason at all to stick with ro2. i played 1000+ hours roost/dh but if they don't change shooting mechanics in ro2 i will continue playing bf3 instead of ro2. mark my words, ro2 will be another niche game with a 1000 player community if they don't get back to their roots if its not too late allready. tw actually thinks they can beat bf or cod on their own grounds but they are obviously wrong. i don't blame tw for going for the money but i would atleast like to see a gameplay mode that resembles roost/dh gameplay or a realism mod and arcade lovers like try to block this. since ro2 has no chance of long term survival in the arcade segment it is peeps like you that will be the game's downfall. i bet you never even played roost and dropped in here after the last run n gun game left you bored with rank maxed out.

Upvote 0
Somehow I think a lot of the gripes I hear from the different RO tribes are things that can be easily modded into the game on the server side.

Pretty soon we will have RO Classic, featuring weapon sway, fatigue and inaccurate weapons. I can go back to trading rifle shots across the map between sips of beer without fear of being shot. Good times.

The weapon sway in RO ost wasn't neccesary good. But it replaced other things that wasn't in there to make the gameplay less arcade.

Example: being able to turn around 180 degrees in a fast motion while aiming and make a dead stop with a weapon is not possible. The weapon will sway for a second, often it will sway back a little bit. Simply because humans muscles are elastic. We're not programmed robots. This was unfortunately not implemented in RO ost. Instead it was replaced with inaccurate weapons and high weapon sway. In my opinion It's a justified to make the game diffrent from other run the mill shooters.

The fact that you can turn around 180 degrees in RO2 in a fast motion and make a dead stop, the fact that the weapon sway if extremely low despite low stamina, the fact that the weapon sway is low when you're injured, the fact that you can zoom in with your eyes to spot enemies, the fact that you can zoom in while aiming down the sight with your rifle or even MP40, is simply to much in my opinion.

When it comes to spotting enemies from far away that's not very easy either unless you can see the weapons muzzle flash. US soldier were for example all the time shot at by people from far away that they couldn't even spot some times. Then, obviously it depends on the terrain. Stalingrad is quite diffrent from open world maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was thinking last night, "what was the goal of RO2"

Has anyone seen it posted? I mean, what did TWI want to achieve through releasing RO2?

I suppose they don't have to post it and it's not really something you go and say "Hey, let's put our mission statement on the forums"; but I'd still like to know what TWI was aiming for.

They wanted middleground between arcade and realism or, in other words, accessible realism. They mentioned that point frequently when talking about the game.

Upvote 0
Mike 78 said:
its not about old ways, it's about gameplay and having fun. ro2 just downgraded required skill levels and made this a kids game like all the other arcade shooters. have you ever fired a rifle? it's nothing like the shooting in ro2. roost and mods were much closer to rl.
Calling RO2 another arcade shooter is misleading. It needs different kind of thinking still and is not as easy to master as people think it is. There are also other people - who know how to handle a gun as well as RO1 veterans - who claim RO2 being closer to reality than RO1 ever was. Such claims needs to be backed up with proof. Otherwise it's just another opinion stated as a fact.

Even if RO2 DO need some changes (bullet spread, sway, bandage time, etc) it doesn't mean it's COD-like or arcade (and these changes can be done with mod tools). For me it is far less arcade than other games I've played.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
people like you killed this game. people who ignore the facts. player numbers and servers have been declining. its not about old ways, it's about gameplay and having fun. ro2 just downgraded required skill levels and made this a kids game like all the other arcade shooters. have you ever fired a rifle? it's nothing like the shooting in ro2. roost and mods were much closer to rl. now everybody is a sniper, even bf3 has more realistic shooting mechanics and this leaves no reason at all to stick with ro2. i played 1000+ hours roost/dh but if they don't change shooting mechanics in ro2 i will continue playing bf3 instead of ro2. mark my words, ro2 will be another niche game with a 1000 player community if they don't get back to their roots if its not too late allready. tw actually thinks they can beat bf or cod on their own grounds but they are obviously wrong. i don't blame tw for going for the money but i would atleast like to see a gameplay mode that resembles roost/dh gameplay or a realism mod and arcade lovers like try to block this. since ro2 has no chance of long term survival in the arcade segment it is peeps like you that will be the game's downfall. i bet you never even played roost and dropped in here after the last run n gun game left you bored with rank maxed out.

You heard it here first, folks. I, the mighty JOSEF NADER, personally slew Red Orchestra 2 so that I may rob everyone of their fun, and then feast upon the misery that radiates from these forums. Also, TWI are a bunch of evil, sellout dicks who gave their old fanbase the middle finger and did everything in their power to turn RO2 into CoD by adding expanding crosshairs, aim assist, and gold plated Mkb42s to the game. Now they are cowering in their evil lair as their sinister plan hasn't paid off, and EVERYONE has abandoned the game with no hope of winning back their old playerbase or their new one.

Upvote 0
You heard it here first, folks. I, the mighty JOSEF NADER, personally slew Red Orchestra 2 so that I may rob everyone of their fun, and then feast upon the misery that radiates from these forums. Also, TWI are a bunch of evil, sellout dicks who gave their old fanbase the middle finger and did everything in their power to turn RO2 into CoD by adding expanding crosshairs, aim assist, and gold plated Mkb42s to the game. Now they are cowering in their evil lair as their sinister plan hasn't paid off, and EVERYONE has abandoned the game with no hope of winning back their old playerbase or their new one.

It is not the reasonable folks like you that have "killed this game" (this game is not dead or in the infamous words of Monty Python, "I'm not dead yet!"); but those that say give us the old way or else this game will die. Seriously.

I have great respect for those that loved RO1. It was a classic niche game. But this is a different game. And as a clan leader for a former "CoD ONLY" clan, let me tell you that this game is indeed a "middle of the road" shooter. I can assure you it is NOT CoD-like (if it were EVERYONE in my clan would love it!) and it is not nearly as steep a learning curve as RO1 (if it were 90% of my clan would hate it. I tried to get many to like RO1 but they couldn't. And we are a clan with an average age of 40ish -- so clearly not your "classic" twitch-shooters!). It IS in fact a middle of the road shooter. I have ZERO doubt that modders will create the perfect mod for the RO1 faithful among us.

As for my clan we will certainly mod out some of the things we don't like, but overall this game is a nice mix. I WISH all my CoD lovers loved this game. Then I could start my 32-slot CD server up every night and not worry if we could kick start it for a couple hours of tactical play...

Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0

yep i think you pritty much sumd it up bud

Upvote 0
Yes, because there are only those two audiences and we all fit into that category, no matter what.

This really isn't where I wanted my question to go.

I was asking if anyone actually knew what the goal for RO2...you know, when they have meetings to decide that there will be an RO2.

Products need goals. You don't just say "lets make a product and see where it goes"...well not if you want to stay in business.

Was wondering if they wanted to reach "x" amount of market share or to address a specific need of the consumer. Something along those lines.

Edit: Player population is right at 3,000 now. Does it continue to rise or level off?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Im having problems enjoying this game tbh. I can play for maybe a hr tops then im just bored with the same thing. Im not sure how quite to describe it but the gameplay overall is just arrrgh. Its trying to be two differnt things at the same time to me and it just anit working. Why the hell coundnt they just make RO with a new engine and fix a few things? Why did they have to redesign the whole bloody thing, try and add this, this, this, this, yeah lets add this is well ffs. Its like they had all these ideas and just threw them all in a pot stirred the crap outta of it and whatever came out the end was RO2..

I mean serously something is wrong.. I played over 500hrs on RO1, yet with RO2 i doubt il even get to 50.....

Upvote 0