• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New Stalingrad movie?

I fell asleep during the german movie of Stalingrad.....

Enemy at the gates had a great quote by Fiennes at the end when he sacrifices himself so Vasilyv can find Koenig. "We created a society without envy of your neighboor, no class distinction, but there always will be something to envy such as love" which was very noble of him to do considering he liked Weisz and Weisz liked Vasyliv, he showed no jealousy and his sacrifice was worthy of a hero.

Well, everyone has their tastes I suppose.
Can't say Enemy at the Gates is bad, because... well it inspired Call of Duty 1, which I consider one of the best games in the series.
It's a distinct approach to the topic of war that now is too often mixed with fancy special effects. That original thing is in the soundtrack of both the game (Call of Duty 1) and of Enemy at the Gates. It's on youtube - very, very special.

Upvote 0
Well, everyone has their tastes I suppose.
Can't say Enemy at the Gates is bad, because... well it inspired Call of Duty 1, which I consider one of the best games in the series.
It's a distinct approach to the topic of war that now is too often mixed with fancy special effects. That original thing is in the soundtrack of both the game (Call of Duty 1) and of Enemy at the Gates. It's on youtube - very, very special.

Yes COD 1 was a PC only title and pretty much gave the idea for aiming down iron sights.

It was enjoyable. Never played the multiplayer just the single player campaign and it was good.

Upvote 0
Enemy at the gates had a great quote by Fiennes at the end when he sacrifices himself so Vasilyv can find Koenig. "We created a society without envy of your neighboor, no class distinction, but there always will be something to envy such as love" which was very noble of him to do considering he liked Weisz and Weisz liked Vasyliv, he showed no jealousy and his sacrifice was worthy of a hero.

Typical sappy nonsense that thrives in Hollywood movies.

Upvote 0
People hate Enemy at the gates because it's full of historical inaccuracies.
Particularly the '1 rifle per 2 soldiers and the second gets a clip' and the 'one step back and we will shoot you' bull****.

Actually that was true and the one step back thing as well, but was later retired since too many soliders were dying.
Typical sappy nonsense that thrives in Hollywood movies.

I would say enemy at the gates is not your typical Hollywood movie. I would consider typical Hollywood a Micheal Bay movie but not enemy at the gates. Do you have no sense of compation or empathy? Do you know what it takes to realize the women you are in love with you can never have because she loves another man and then just do the right thing and let them have each other? Like I said hero quality and very nobel.

Was it also sappiness when Bob Hoskins as Kruschov arrived in Stalingrad and non of the generals or commisars knew what to say? Yet Fiennes knew exactly what to say "give them HOPE"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hate to do a new post right after last but a few weeks ago a rented the new Stalingrad movie from 2013. I notinced it was made in Russia and I was impressed, true soviet nostalgia. Of course a love story involved but it adds to the emotionalism at the end where "SPOILERS AHEAD DONT READ IF YOU HAVENT SEEN IT" when the few Russian troops left call in artillery when the Nazis are closing in and they sacrifice themselves after they all declared their love for the girl that was in the building with them.

Upvote 0