• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas for making Firebugs useful at endgame

Sorry, slight misunderstanding.
Crispened zeds DO move slower than normal zeds, however after a zed has been set on fire, it'll burn and move at normal speed for 10 seconds, THEN move slower.
Obviously this is of lesser use on HoE when zeds will take less time to reach you, and will often reach you before they crispen.

I was hoping that zeds would start to move slower as soon as they're set on fire, with the movement speed smoothly decreasing between normal at unburnt, and the current crispened movement speed.

oooh ok, I understand now. As for slowing down zeds when your setting them on fire, i could see that. Maybe have it start at 5%/10% and increased by 2.5%/2% for every X amount of damage, or after Y seconds. And then just have it cap off at the speed at which crisped zeds move at.

Also, you mentioned about perhaps having a siren's scream cause a nade to explode yet still catching things on fire. I think that wouldnt be to bad, because it wouldnt do any explosive damage, but it would atleast deal fire damage. The only reason why I dont think it owuld be good, is because the husk's fire cannon, has its shots destoryed if it shoots into the sirens field of screams. Other than that, maybe the slight increase in grenades wouldnt be too bad.

Upvote 0
Aye, back then I didn't know as much about the game as I do now, and there aren't many people like yourself around who can correct rumours :p

Yea, crispening doesn't increase damage dealt to a zed (false rumour). I'll edit first post to reflect as such. I wouldn't object if it did though. I imagine the firebug's intended role is to set as many things on fire as possible (within reason), but not actually spend time hosing stuff down, and anything which has small effects to help encourage this is good IMHO.

I had imagined that the movement speed would slowly slow down, so if normal movement speed is X and crispened movement speed atm is Y, then halfway to the crispened animation, the zed would move at a speed halfway between X and Y, at a quarter of the way, it'd move a quarter of the difference etc.
Yes, this means that the zed would be constantly moving slower, although I'd imagine if it's a constantly decreasing speed by a constant amount, it wouldn't really affect player's aim too much.

A zed takes 10 seconds of DoT damage, and I couldn't find any literature I trusted on how long it takes them to crispen after being hit, so assumed the durations were the same.

The husk cannon suggestion I made before I was corrected on times for crispening etc.
I still maintain that allowing the husk cannon to insta-crisp would be cool though, and a nice bonus to make it worthwhile (as well as not making it OP IMHO since stuff can only be crispened once pretty much), although the duration of panic would obviously need to be reduced from "10 secs - time between being set on fire and crispened".

Also, you mentioned about perhaps having a siren's scream cause a nade to explode yet still catching things on fire.

Was that aimed at me? Where did I say that? And no, I currently think things are fine as they are re: sirens exploding flame nades (if I thought differently back then, I've apparently forgotten and now disagree with myself).

Last edited:
Upvote 0