• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Zed Ragdolls fall though per-poly collision static mesh

TheDoctorWho

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 1, 2017
I'm brand new to the UE3 SDK and have been trying to make a map. I imported a really complex static mesh and enabled per-poly collision. Everything's working pretty good except that dead zeds and thrown weapons fall right through the floor of the mesh. Is there a fix for this besides making blocking volumes everywhere, because my mesh is way too complex for that (it's an entire building exported to an FBX).

I have seen a few maps that have solved this issue, like the Mario 64 Remastered. I was trying to figure out how they did it but no success. It appears to be something in the actual FBX file itself and not some setting in the engine, but idk what.

This can also be caused by 'Mirroring' static meshes along a specific axis (Right Click > Transform > Mirror __ Axis). There's a couple of meshes that do this - off the top off my head the Biotics Lab Catwalk Extension and one of the Planters. Basic collision (walking on top) works but physics assets will fall through (Bodies, Guns, Dosh).

Only solution is to 1. Dont mirror objects that will be walked on. or 2. Export the FBX, flip in Blender and rebuild collisions and then Reimport into the SDK. There could be a 3rd option...but I dont know it - if there is a easier "Solve mirrored collisions" checkbox - I'd love to know :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0