• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Basic Level Geometry with 45 Degree Floors

onlyaubs

Apr 7, 2017
Anyone know which corner pieces properly align with the Single Floor Triangle pieces? For the life of me I cannot find a way to get the edges to properly meet with other 90 degree or straight sections.

Also, any guides for doing basic breaking glass on things like computer screens or displays and lights? , not windows or custom destructible actors.

sdk_corner.jpg

Not sure either what you mean about corner pieces not snapping, I haven't had any issues. Remember that all modular floor, wall and ceiling meshes are designed to overlap by 8 UU - that's intentional and should not be tinkered with unless you absolutely need to. They are not out of alignment, it's to help avoid light bleeding through wall segments.

And in terms of glass, again, Mikkou's suggestion is a solid one.

As far as I know there are 2 different types of glass meshes in the official packages already fully configured and ready for copy/paste:

FracturedStaticMesh'ENV_Paris_Two_MESH.Glass.ENV_Glass_02_FRACTURED'
FracturedStaticMesh'ENV_Paris_Three_MESH.street_kit.ENV_Paris_Payphone_Booth_GlassPane01_FRACTURED'

Upvote 0
mikkou;n2291821 said:
Not sure about the corner pieces, especially without seeing where and how you are using them, but for the breaking glass on computer screens you can just resize the ones TWI used on their screens unless you are making something very specific.

what about having a destructible light source? Sorry for all the questions but I'm struggling to find resources for newbies to really dive in

Upvote 0
Yeah, theres not all that much documentation on the current version of the editor, now that theres UE4. Theres some helpful info here: https://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=SDK_Tutorials_(Killing_Floor_2) but you probably already knew about that.

Anyway, I assume you mean a light that goes out when its destroyed? You need to use a KFDestructibleActor (can just copy a lamp from an official map) and just link a light actor to it under Subobjects -> DamageMods -> LightParams. Then just tweak all the values to your liking. Just look at how TWI did it, its a long time since I last worked with destructable lights so cant remember everything 100%.

I usually have 2 editor windows open at once so that I can always check up on the official maps in case I need help with something or if I need to find a static mesh thats strangely named in the content browser.

Upvote 0
mikkou;n2292010 said:
Yeah, theres not all that much documentation on the current version of the editor, now that theres UE4. Theres some helpful info here: https://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=SDK_Tutorials_(Killing_Floor_2) but you probably already knew about that.

I usually have 2 editor windows open at once so that I can always check up on the official maps in case I need help with something or if I need to find a static mesh thats strangely named in the content browser.

How do you open a second viewport with a totally different map ?

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2291825 said:
sdk_corner.jpg

Not sure either what you mean about corner pieces not snapping, I haven't had any issues. Remember that all modular floor, wall and ceiling meshes are designed to overlap by 8 UU - that's intentional and should not be tinkered with unless you absolutely need to. They are not out of alignment, it's to help avoid light bleeding through wall segments.

And in terms of glass, again, Mikkou's suggestion is a solid one.

As far as I know there are 2 different types of glass meshes in the official packages already fully configured and ready for copy/paste:

FracturedStaticMesh'ENV_Paris_Two_MESH.Glass.ENV_Glass_02_FRACTURED'
FracturedStaticMesh'ENV_Paris_Three_MESH.street_kit.ENV_Paris_Payphone_Booth_GlassPane01_FRACTURED'

I found my problem. I cant find a wall segment that properly fits over the hypotenuse of the triangle pieces and properly meets other edges without gaps. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
onlyaubs;n2292036 said:
How do you open a second viewport with a totally different map ?

You have to actually open 2 editors, and just switch beetween them. Steam doesnt allow opening two programs at the same time though, so you have to do some shortcuts from the original folder to your desktop. There might be some trickery you need to do to get it to work, cant remember what it was but its somewhere in the forums I think.

Upvote 0
I'm also having issues figuring out the intended usage of 45 degree modular sets, however with the walls. I can never find myself to be able to properly align them without the walls either intersecting or having a huge gap.
03l26ZB.png

Edit: Of course after writing this reply I figured it out, gotta make use of the beveled wall pieces *facepalm*.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, beveled sets will work or, in my opinion even better, use a pillar/column to cover up such gaps. They add some extra nice geometry to your map as an added bonus, and helps get rid of the "flat wall" syndrome that far too many custom maps suffer from. The wooden columns and the modular ceiling trims from Manor come highly recommended, as they look nice and are very cheap to render.

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2292397 said:
Yep, beveled sets will work or, in my opinion even better, use a pillar/column to cover up such gaps. They add some extra nice geometry to your map as an added bonus, and helps get rid of the "flat wall" syndrome that far too many custom maps suffer from. The wooden columns and the modular ceiling trims from Manor come highly recommended, as they look nice and are very cheap to render.

I took onto myself the challenge of making a Doom map for KF2, I know there's a lot of them already but it's a simple enough project for me to get used to the workflow. Doom is pretty much just built upon corridors, and it doesn't feel like the modular set does a very good job of handling angled corridors.

So far, a beveled wall is literally the only piece I've found that connects to a 45 degree angle wall. Which really is unfortunate, I wish there was more beveled pieces or some kind of uniform bevel, sort of like Single_Wall_Edge(it lines up to the angled wall, but not the window next to it).

LR1lUb4.png

Another issue I've run into is when making a 2nd floor, it will leave a gap - again, because there's no 45* angle wall with a bevel.

6BoNI7l.png

Can we export these meshes á la UE4 style into an FBX? If so, it would be very easy to add more modular pieces to allow for a bit more freedom. If only the BSP's were as fluid to build with as in UE4 and this entire thing would be redundant(so long as you keep light bleeding in mind).

A bit off-topic, but is there a Discord server for KF2? I know a lot of UE-based games have popular discord servers due to the moddability, would be neat if Tripwire could set one up so modders could more easily help one another and share their work.

Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2292397 said:

This is what I do aswell with gaps, just add a pillar there or something else, it will usually just make the map look better in the end.

Upvote 0