• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Upcoming Changes in the Second Beta

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone!

First, a big thank you to everyone who has taken the chance to try out the preview beta currently available to our Steam fans. We have been tracking your feedback and bug reports and are working towards an updated beta build that we expect to push live next week. Here is ( a non exhaustive list of) what's changing:

Tier 4 weapons are back! In the first beta we dropped the tier 4's to 3's and modified their stats so that players could have an opportunity to bring other weapons into the late game if they chose (or continue to stick with their old favorites). We've heard the calls, and the tier 4's are reverting back to their previous tier 4 status.

Work has also been continuing on the new E.D.A.R.'s. In the next beta build, players will be greater rewarded for hitting the weak point (which can be found in the chest after removing the armor located there). Doing so now does more damage, and killing them with a blow there will cause an EMP blast which will disable zeds close to the exploded E.D.A.R. A skilled marksman who knows where to shoot can land a penetrating blow before the armor has been destroyed!

Additionally the chest armor has been brought down, while the leg armor has gone up. And all of them are having some audio work to help telegraph their imminent impact to players. The Trappers now have a much shorter range on their beam, so players have more of a chance to engage them before they find themselves trapped!

Weapon and perk skill balance is also ongoing outside of the Tier weapon changes, and a few highlights include:
    • The Hemogoblin's damage has been reduced
    • The Railgun has also had its damage reduced, weight reduced by 1, and ammo pool slightly increased
    • The M99 has been set as a Tier 5 weapon and had its price increased and ammo pool reduced
    • The Doomstick has had its ammo costs increased and ammo pool reduced
    The last item we want to mention is the dynamic loading/memory improvements that are being worked on (and are the cause of several of the more obvious visual issues such as arms not loading as well as in game hitches), we hope to have wrapped up and fully implemented by the next beta update as well, so please keep a special eye out for any issues that may arise out of these changes.

To all those taking part in this preview beta, we look forward to your continued feedback and bug reports!

Please add new sounds for when you get hit by the laser EDAR. They hit like a truck but it makes the same noise as getting slapped by a clot. The sound does not fit the attack and it can be very confusing as to why you just took so much damage. It's also confusing when there are no zeds nearby but it sounds like you're getting slapped.

Thanks for fixing T4s btw. This will help with the dosh hoarding of late. Glad to hear the hitching is fixed too.

Upvote 0
    Hey, shooting robots can be fun. It can totally be really satisfying, even, you just have to make the impacts over-the-top and less like they're just pinging off. Even if they are.

I hope these changes make them more fun to kill as well, because as it stands shooting them is a huge waste of ammo, blowing them up barely works (outside of upgraded C4, of course :cool:) and the one time I saw a firebug try to flame it it looked like it did nothing but make it visibly hot (which was cool, I will admit, but didn't seem like it actually did anything).

So far the main way to kill them seems to be melee, which renders them like a helpless CRT being smashed by a bunch o' chavs...on Hard, at least. Maybe DARs on higher difficulties have some horrible wake-up call for would-be Zerkers like Husks do; I wouldn't know, I prestiged all of my perks and don't want to screw over anyone playing Sui or HoE.

In other, unrelated news, between doing a set of dailies, the weekly, the event suite, and prestiging all my perks I got, like, fourty-fifty vault crates. I even got quite a few of the really, really nice precious Vosh skins out of them, which are so good they make the frankly terrible regular Precious skins look even more insultingly awful in comparison. Less gold is better, people. A little bling goes a long way.

Upvote 0
    Obrob;n2320080 said:
    The fixes are cool, but please please please, make the EDARS organic and bleeding, it's really no fun shooting robots.

They EXPLODE now! I can see that being really fun, kind of like shooting a husk in the backpack.

I hope that the reduced range on the trap attack makes up for the OPness of being able to trap players through walls.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I do not mind shooting robots. There are so many laboratory/factory/industry maps in the KF continuity that it isn't a stretch to think some of the automatons went rogue. If the art style changes, then fine. They look alright as they are - but Radio4ctive's suggestion of using different color schemes to differentiate the subtypes is good.

The only two things I disliked about fighting the EDARs was their bullet-sponginess and the fact that the trapper could get players through walls. I did like how stumbling could interrupt the EDARs' firing, though. I think that's all they need - something to make them less one-dimensional and allow the player to effectively counter them. A weak point in the chest could be it. Maybe, instead of a pure range cutoff for their attacks, the EDARs' attacks get weaker the further away you are (lasers do less damage, rockets less damage or knockback, and trap beam only slows the player by decreasing amounts instead of locking him into place). I do not know where the EDARs will end up, but I think it's worth letting TWI find a place for them. I hated the quarterpounders when they came out, but now they're a fun addition to the mid- to later waves.

Will the double barrel also be reverted to its pre-beta stats? The only reason I saw for nerfing the double barrel was to make the doomstick more viable by comparison, but I don't think the doomstick needs help in that way. The increase in weight, damage, and ammo seems like the right tradeoff on its own. There should also be a viable power weapon alternative for Supports that don't have enough carry weight for the doomstick or AA-12.

As for the weapon upgrading system, I think it can work. Right now it is limited to pure damage increases (and medic dart recharge) in exchange for weight, but there are so many more ways weapons could be upgraded. Fire rate, ammunition type, magazine capacity, weapon attachments, etc. are among the options. Some of those would be difficult or undesirable to implement in KF2 due to existing designs, but the option would be there for future titles. The big challenge for a weapon upgrading system is how it discourages players from sharing dosh and promotes upgrading one's own kit first. I think reinstating the Tier-4 weapons and having some Tier-5 weapons in the mix will help this problem since players will feel more competitive with a high-tier weapon instead of feeling obligated to upgrade a T-3 to stay competitive.

Upvote 0
    About EDARs - how about they go rampage after having their head shot off? You know, without recognising friend/foe, they also could actually attack nearby zeds.
    Or it may be tied to potential new perk like engineer or scientist. I would like this perk, maybe he could have his own EDAR, or black hole gun :D
    You have already proven how creative you may be in designing futuristic stuff.

Reactions: Chill_it_B
    Upvote 0
    Oh man... why putting back the M99 as it was in KF1? It felt atrocious. Plus, as many others have said, it doesn't make much sense for it to be more powerful than a litteral RAILGUN. But whatever, guess I'll just never pick it up.

Glad to have T4 back though. Makes more sense.

A bit bummed about the Doomstick, I thought it was perfectly fine as it was : powerful, but not overly so. And actually, I had more troubles managing ammo with it than with the regular boomstick... I hope I'll still be able to blast everything of with it.

The EDARs change is a blessing though and I thank you for that.

Upvote 0