• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - A Prestigious Upgrade

Yoshiro

Senior Community Manager
Staff member
  • Oct 10, 2005
    East Coast
    Hello everyone!

While the Infinite Onslaught continues, so has work on the next major update for Killing Floor 2, and we want to start sharing that with you today! As always, when we talk about our plans, they are subject to change during the normal course of development.

Today is going to focus on several big community requests, so let us dive right in. You asked for it, now it is on it's way, Player Perk Prestige!

e80e4350e70525145030780bac29bbfc46f4c4e5.png

Players who have worked for a level 25 perk can now choose to prestige it, taking it back down to 0 to work their way through again. Those who choose to do so will be rewarded with increased leveling speed, additional Vault Dosh, an upgraded perk icon, as well as a prestige perk knife.

ffc6126261d2a64671f0ac09c33336fe8621634a.png

Dedicated players will now have one more optional way to stand out and show off! There are no gameplay changes involved with prestiging, and players are not required to do it.

Do you have a favored weapon that just doesn't make the cut for your late game arsenal?
    Another major community request now in development and coming with the next update will be our first version of a weapon upgrade system!

34f42e70308b8beadbf4794ae174a85843d76da8.png

With this first iteration players will be able to spend dosh not just on new weapons, but to upgrade an existing one to improve its damage. In some cases, this will also add to the weight of the weapon being upgraded, opening up new late game loadout options.

Almost every weapon in the game can be upgraded from Tier 1 onward (this does not include grenades or knives). Also, as part of this change, traditional Tier 4 weapons will also be adjusted to Tier 3 weapons that can be upgraded to the Tier 4 weapons you know and love.... and Tier 5.

Our goal is to add more options to this system to allow for greater weapon changes as we move ahead, but it will be limited to damage and weight for this update. Be sure to let us know what else you feel the system needs once you trial it out in the beta or full update release.

But wait, there's more! The first DLC mercenary is joining up, and we can't wait to introduce you to this roster returnee: Mrs. Foster is back!

2ccf27af0556871612d4586553ea340489fec65b.jpg

Mrs. Foster will be our first fully voiced character joining the Killing Floor 2 roster, featuring the vocal talents of Claudia Black! She will be localized in other supported languages with other voice actors.

While we continue to look at additional characters and costumes for the future, Mrs. Foster will be serving as our test with the community: to see if this type of fully voiced roster addition is something fans will continue to want to see added as paid content, or if you want to see more characters/costumes such as DAR and Commando Chicken which do not require additional voice acting.

I was actually considering a suggestion where one could buy attachments (suppressors, long barrels, etc) to improve existing guns, but the upgrade system seems to be an easier (and less confusing) approach. I like it. Hope the upgrade system shows audible/visible differences on the weapon as you level them up.

Also, hey, finally another new lady character. Now if we could just get Rachel Clamely or one of the other KF1 women, that'd be nice.

Upvote 0
    Initial thoughts:

1): Prestige. Yes, this sounds good. No balance breaking changes to prestiging, as it should be.

2): Weapon Upgrading. Holy ****, now this can ruin this game quickly if done wrong I feel. Damage and weight is a good start, to try it out, but I feel it should be done very carefully. I can see Ammo Reserve upgrade but nothing more...Needs testing.

3): Mrs. Foster. Well you did say you wouldn't add characters as DLC...but you also had DJ Scully in the Deluxe edition pretty damn early. Eh, it's fine, it's a "cosmetic" and I would buy it if decently priced.

/DreaderVII

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    I genuinely don't mind all cosmetic options, if done right, I understand some classic characters coming back as costumes, since they "faceless" and some one will complain them not having classic voice. What I don't understand is why TWI didn't tried to make normal cosmetics work with DAR. There is nothing to choice from for now.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    So current tier 4s will be nerfed to tier 3s, but with two upgrades available, t4 and t5. That's tremendous.
    Will traditional tier 3s be equal in upgrade opportunity? For example, both AA12 and M4 start at T3, can be upgraded to T4, and can be upgraded again to T5?

Suggestion: Visually distinguish the different upgrade levels optionally, by letting players' weapon skins be equipped per tier. For example, if I wanted, my RPG-7 could have my "Vietnam" skin equipped when I buy it as a T3, no skin equipped if I upgrade it to T4, and my "Tiger" skin equipped if I upgrade it to T5.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    1) Perk Prestige - yay, wait what? Upgraded perk icon and a prestige perk knife, really? Meh.
    2) Weapon upgrade system - yay, but not really. Well, I don't like how it sounds. Only proper modification system can be really great.
    3) DLC mercenary - YES! Mrs. Foster - ugh, I'll wait others. Seriously, more characters and maps, please.

Upvote 0
    Weapon upgrades of just plain damage sound a bit lame and needless, but as a starting point towards later having upgrades that change a nice variety of stats, maybe with visible features, it could become a plenty worthwhile game mechanic. I'm looking forward to it.

Lorkenpeist;n2318167 said:
    What does fully voiced mean? In what way are the existing characters not fully voiced?
    Some characters were hoped for, but then we got their gear instead. Chicken costume, horzine suit, hazmat suit, welding mask, and probably more. And then DAR was just "beep bop [filtered copypaste]".
    Some of Mrs. Foster's VA's previous works:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WQGS2zGAXg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0
    TonicBH;n2318169 said:
    Also, hey, finally another new lady character. Now if we could just get Rachel Clamely or one of the other KF1 women, that'd be nice.

The addition of bringing back the KF1 Trader (revamped and given a modernized makeover) as a playable character would be cool, and pay a lot of classic homage to the many folks who poured hours into the first game and heard her banter :p

Reactions: Patros
    Upvote 0