• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A Word From The Trader

I've seen the question asked a few times in this thread already, but I'm going to ask it again, because how TW does it could severly affect gameplay.

According to the ZED-Conemy page, it says there will be ingame drops for weapons skins and the like. Will these drops take place during actual waves, or when the game is over (winning or losing)?

I'm going to believe in humanity here and say no. Having some random crate spawn mid-wave and Le Baguette Trader screaming that we have to go get it, that's just asking for a wipe on sui+

It will most likely follow the formula of: finish wave, chance for crate. My only misgiving is this and TRIPWIRE YOU BETTER LISTEN TO THIS, is if this creates a sub-culture of "farmers" within the game, then some items should only drop on long games, otherwise the community is going to be split between farmers who exclusively hang out in short games, with even fewer players in the long / medium games. This formula (the rare items are in sui long whilst the rarest are only in hoe long) will basically encourage the playerbase to git gud if they want some of those shiny new trinkets. Most players never graduate from hard mode, and HoE is a ghost town at times. And yes, this will cause rage, but I'd rather have 6-man HoE long games full of rage where players are playing to win (if for the wrong reasons) than nothing at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm going to believe in humanity here and say no. Having some random crate spawn mid-wave and Le Baguette Trader screaming that we have to go get it, that's just asking for a wipe on sui+

It will most likely follow the formula of: finish wave, chance for crate. My only misgiving is this and TRIPWIRE YOU BETTER LISTEN TO THIS, is if this creates a sub-culture of "farmers" within the game, then some items should only drop on long games, otherwise the community is going to be split between farmers who exclusively hang out in short games, with even fewer players in the long / medium games. This formula (the rare items are in sui long whilst the rarest are only in hoe long) will basically encourage the playerbase to git gud if they want some of those shiny new trinkets. Most players never graduate from hard mode, and HoE is a ghost town at times. And yes, this will cause rage, but I'd rather have 6-man HoE long games full of rage where players are playing to win (if for the wrong reasons) than nothing at all.

They haven't even hinted at the drop system but I can almost guarantee you that it is going to be a chance per time played with a cap on weekly income.

Though, it's not a F2P game, so farmers aren't really a problem for the company since they at least have to pay the price of the game.

Though they might drive market prices down :v or they would if in game economies ever worked like that

Upvote 0
Wow, this was definitely not the news I was expecting to see on the forums today.

After reading all the comments, I'm trying to keep a very level head about the CS:GO style dlc economy.
I do like that this dlc model will provide a constant stream of content with the focus of putting that revenue into free event and map updates (you'll have to do more events thank kf1, to justify it) and it will keep the game fresh for years.

However, I'm still very opposed to the key system that forces me to pay what I assume will be in U.S. currency (i'm in aus and the currency conversion rate is ****) for a 1/100 chance of actually getting something I want. Also, knowing that there will be absolutely no chance of obtaining certain skins from outside of crates within the games free drops, frustrates me immensely.

But before, I start joining the salt-wagon like so many others, I have thought of some compromises that may make us all happy, or at least, cushion some of the hate.

1. Have keys drop - a small chance of obtaining keys to unlock a crate for free within game would allow me to choose whether to keep playing the game longer so I can eventually unlock my crates, or just give in and buy the key.
2. Place a price cap in the steam market place - I'm not sure if this one is possible (I know valve would never do it), but if you could place an upper limit of all items in the steam market place, that still makes it a reasonable price for those of us who just want to buy it outright. Paying more than the price of the game (or a PC in the case of CS:GO is an absolute joke imo.

TLDR, don't follow CS:GO exactly and look for compromises to keep everyone happy :)

Upvote 0
Great... Add micro-transactions and spend lots of man-hours on implementing this system into a game which isn't even finished yet. Aren't there more pressing matters to attend? Say... finishing the game? I'm seriously disappointed in TWI and I fear this will ruin the game... I doubt I'll be playing KF2 much more as it will turn into some farming community, or take the Overkill route, or just turn into an outright ****ty community like CS:GO. Well, TWI, so long and thanks for all the fish!

Upvote 0
I fully approve of selling cosmetic-only items to people who care about that sort of thing in order to fund the production of more actual gameplay-related content for everyone.

However, it looks like this is alienating a lot of people and even hurting the reviews of the game. That's not good at all. Please consider some of the compromises brought up by others in this thread.

There are two compromises in particular which would fully satisfy me, and hopefully not impinge too much on what you guys are trying to do with the Zed-conomy.

1. Consider building a fail-safe into the RNG system, whereby a player would know that if they put in X amount of money, or Y amount of gameplay, or some combination thereof, they absolutely, positively will gain item Z. Even if that limit is high. Just to prevent speculation and inflation from reaching absurd levels.

2. Consider including a way for players to limit which cosmetic items they have to see in game and download onto their hard drive. So if someone doesn't want to see another player's neon orange AA12 and store it on their hard drive they have the option to just see a regular old AA12 instead.

Honestly, if I'm just talking about myself, none of this is likely to affect me, except insofar as it pays for additional content I do care about. The only caveat is that if the curation of cosmetic items lets stuff in that doesn't come close enough to Tripwire's high quality standards, or let's stuff in that goes beyond the admittedly very liberal and often silly Killing Floor aesthetic, I would very much like to have the option to hide items I don't like , and only reveal cosmetic items I do approve of. I don't know whether hiding cosmetic items on a per-item basis is feasible technically, or advisable financially, but that would certainly make me happy. I'd be surprised if it wouldn't placate others as well.

Upvote 0
CALLED THAT ONE! KEK!

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1452454&postcount=24

In reality, it was supposed to be a joke.

But I'm glad they spent a lot of time early in development to deeply integrate the Horzineconomy (HorzineCo Store) into KF2 and make endless dosh a reality. Why? Because it's 2015!

Am I surprised after the increasingly downhill disbalancing of KF1, the dosh jacket and giving out "alpha keys" to steadyaim.fm/yoloswag1440withscopedidntblazeit024 who made their audience lose IQ and nobody ever watched again instead of TW's core audience? No.

Now, for the circle to be complete, we need KF3 in 2017, threads to start disappearing en masse from the forums, and it also needs to be demoed on Xlolzox720II at E5 and the PC port to be a terrible and uncomfortable afterthought.

Let's see if we can get there that fast.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear KF devs.

At end of KF1's life, it's all about 32-man servers filled with custom weapons(many of them are reskins of default weapons, such as explosive AA-12 or explosive xbow) and imported models from other stuff(MMD models of Touhou and some kind of santa hat from !RTD, for example).

What made you guys think CSGO-like skins will be so good for making dosh?

DLC or Microtransaction, not both.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually, i take back even the molecular level of hype, as i mis-read part of the post.

You added random chance crates.

We're not even out of early access and you're already adding CS:GO/TF2 levels of dumb BS instead of finishing the actual game that much faster.

Pull the plug, take this off life support, it's all over. Tripwire's gone over to the dark side and the least we can do is put it out of it's misery humanely.

No, seriously. RNG-based chance boxes have ZERO F*****G PLACE in a full-price retail release, especially if they then need a real-dosh key to open. Along with crafting systems.

KF1 was all about grabbing some friends and murdering the population of a small city in a gory spectacle. not sorting jank boxes and useless crafting mats looking for the one rare-as-f*** piece you need to finish that new +5 to scrake slaying gas mask.

And don't give me that "But they're done with the art assets for the next perk" BS. Start on the next one. Make a new map. Add hidden rooms or something.

But don't follow through with this system as-is. Unless you're planning on returning my full 40$ and making the game F2P. Because i'll only barely tolerate this kind of Bulls*** if i didn't pay out the nose for it.

I Still rip on Guild wars & co for pulling this crap to this day, don't think i'll let you off the hook for it.

Upvote 0
... Also, knowing that there will be absolutely no chance of obtaining certain skins from outside of crates within the games free drops, frustrates me immensely.

1. Have keys drop - a small chance of obtaining keys to unlock a crate for free within game would allow me to choose whether to keep playing the game longer so I can eventually unlock my crates, or just give in and buy the key.

This! Thats excactly my only problem with this system.

Im not offended by TWI trying out new ways, but I am offended/worried by locking specific parts of it (even only cosmetical) behind a paywall. Give players a small chance to unlock everything by just playing the hell out this game and for those who don't have the time/patience for this a option to buy them.
Please TWI, consider it.

Best regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it kinda makes me laugh that I will have early access to microtransactions :cool:

At the same time, I think TWI have done the right thing -- it doesn't affect gameplay (perhaps will only make some people play more), and will earn TWI some dosh. And yes, it's good to polish it during EA so that it works as expected after the final release.

Upvote 0
The weapon cosmetic DLC's if I recall correctly were the least popular item in KF 1. So we decided to try something different this time for those. Character items will work much like KF 1, just in game.

Will we at least be able to buy weapon skin packs like in KF1 (as any condition we want obviously :p) to be sure of what we get, cause I never buy keys for crates in any games. If anything I sell crates until I can get the weapon I like... Of course if the keys are 0.05 or 0.1 each then maybe I'll revise this decision, but if they cost the sae as CSGO *sigh*

Upvote 0
Well, I think this announcement was predictable. Though, it does not bother me as it is fully optional. The game will obviously not change and the possibility for items to drop at the end of a game is nice as it adds some rewards to the time you spend playing. This is one thing that lacked in KF1, rewards. Not the MT system in particular though.

Now it would have been perfect if this cosmetic system would've stayed tied to drops after each games, but I guess this is a good way to support future updates and well, everyone's got to make a living.

I'm rather enthusiast because KF2 is a great game and customization was one thing I wanted to be added.

Options, guys. You still get everything you paid for, plus additionnal items that may drop. There will still be free updates, free maps and so on. May be this ZED-conomy will prevent any future iteration of DLC Weapon packs, as there will already be a source of money for the devs.

EDIT: But I agree with the general feeling regarding the addition of this system now. We're still waiting for 4 perks, 16 weapons, maps, characters, that should all complete the BASE GAME. The game is still not finished but TW seems to focus on something else, while we all wait to get the full content we already purchased. I cannot support that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0