• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New to pc gaming and have questions about this title.

damhambam

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jul 12, 2011
Hello internet people. Im new to pc gaming and just gaming in general. I played ps3 for about a year now but all the hackers fed it up so i got a gaming pc.

My friend custom ordered it and put it together and its really cool looking. It just looks like it would run any game in the world. But i have a few questions. My bud said i should only buy games from a thingy called steam. He installed it on my pc and there is a icon. I had to make a account on it. So i was wondering if the heroes of stalingrad will be on steam. I trying to look for myself but im pretty fail with computers and this is my first one ive ever owned.

Also i was watching some videos on youtube of the game and it looks alot like battlefield but ww2. Ive never played a ww2 game before so this is something that is really neat to me. I have a question about ww2? was that the war they first droped the nuke bomb on the russians or something?

Anyways cant wait to get into pc gaming. Ive already got starcraft 2 and that guy just blows my mind. It seems pc games require much more thinking.

It's ... sort of like Battlefield ... but PC BF (NOT 360... I've tried both and 360 is terrible by comparison). A lot of PC games focus more heavily on realism, so action can be much slower and, as in many RO maps, take place over long distances with bolt action rifles.

I avoid buying things through Steam if I can. If you can get a hard copy on release day DO IT. Steam has this horrible clause in their EULA wherein they can shut down their authentication servers at any time for any reason. I don't know if they've changed it, but no authentication = no playing.

Upvote 0
I have a question about ww2? was that the war they first droped the nuke bomb on the russians or something?
Hehe. Made me chuckle. Nuclear bombs were dropped on Japan twice, and nobody else ever since. But yes, that happened in WW2.

So since you seem to lack a lot of WW2 knowledge, let's cut down to what this game is about: there is a famous battle in World War 2 that occured in a Russian city called "Stalingrad." It is considered by some Historians to be the turning point of the war - where the Nazis really began to LOSE the war. So obviously the battle took place between Germans and Russians. In the game you can play as both sides, with a lot of detail put into the weapons, vehicles, and maps you fight on, to be as realistic as possible. You will be able to play through things like Grain Elevators that were actually fought over for days within the city, in the exact architectural detail that the fighting occured in. The development team actually went and took pictures of the surviving buildings, and used actual city maps and old WW2 photos for reference of the game (at least, some of the maps.)

In terms of gameplay, one of the most immediately noticable things is that guns are very lethal - one shot to the chest with a Rifle and you're dead, and shots to the limbs or stomach may severly cripple. This is unlike most traditional shooters that encourage multiple hits on your target to kill them - as such, this game heavily encourages the use of cover, and caution. It plays very different from your normal shooter. I'd recommend you try out the older Red Orchestra and see if you like it. It is also on Steam. It's a good game, it's graphics are still decent, and there is still an online community. It is currently $10 on Steam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's ... sort of like Battlefield ... but PC BF (NOT 360... I've tried both and 360 is terrible by comparison). A lot of PC games focus more heavily on realism, so action can be much slower and, as in many RO maps, take place over long distances with bolt action rifles.

I avoid buying things through Steam if I can. If you can get a hard copy on release day DO IT. Steam has this horrible clause in their EULA wherein they can shut down their authentication servers at any time for any reason. I don't know if they've changed it, but no authentication = no playing.

That is unfounded, and they've already said I believe, the day steam dies (which imo, hell freezes over) they'll remove authentication. You'll also need steam even with a boxed copy, so your screwed mate one way or another.

Upvote 0

American history classes are a joke.

I felt like I knew more than my teachers sometimes... it was pretty sad actually. The material was just abysmal. My main HS history teacher actually managed to make Greco-Roman history boring, a true hallmark for crappy teaching. We spent more time drawing pictures and writing "silly poems" (I don't have anything against poetry but this definitely did not qualify as such :p) for each of the chapter headings than actually learning anything. And this was high school lol :p. The only good history teacher I had ever in my pre-university school years was a brit :D. Only had him for one year unfortunately.

Different story in college of course, but there it's not required so only people already interested in the courses are taking them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ya CoH + SC rule the RTS genre imo. No other ones worth playing tbh. Most of the genre is more copycat than the CoD series :p.

Yes, indeed. Although I wouldn't say copycat - I would just say not original in gameplay, but perhaps that means the same thing :p. Also, Men of War series is fairly original, but it's gameplay is just not for me.

Upvote 0
I could never get past the craptastic interface in that game... also it felt like it was trying to be in between a wargame and an rts and that just... didn't work imo.

But I know a lot of people like it a lot so evidently I'm the only one who's not "getting it" :D.

Assault squad fixed a lot of the problems the original had, and hotkeys bypassed the whole crappy UI, which I agree with. I never click on the UI except to build sandbags lol

Also, the reason why its better is Tanks don't have hitpoints (Just like RO2) it doesn't take a million bullets to kill infnatry. And the direct control system has never been implemented half as good as it is in MOWAS.

Angling a Tiger so a shell will bounce off the hull, and using tactics instead of copy paste build orders is what turns me on. :IS2:

Upvote 0
Assault squad fixed a lot of the problems the original had, and hotkeys bypassed the whole crappy UI, which I agree with. I never click on the UI except to build sandbags lol

Also, the reason why its better is Tanks don't have hitpoints (Just like RO2) it doesn't take a million bullets to kill infnatry. And the direct control system has never been implemented half as good as it is in MOWAS.

Angling a Tiger so a shell will bounce off the hull, and using tactics instead of copy paste build orders is what turns me on. :IS2:

I guess I'm not just thinking about the visual UI so to speak but the whole hotkey+squad system.

I just found it INSANELY hard to micro manage infantry squads. I like that you had so many options to pick up weapons, throw grenades etc. but it's nearly impossible to manage them well, at least for me.

For example, if I wanted to have a squad rush up to a tank and lob an AT grenade at it in a battle with more than a few units I either had to a) Use the whole squad to rush at the tank b) Try to individually select a guy(s) but usually end up grabbing the wrong one or more than one. c)Take my time to carefully select the right guy and in the process completely not see the fact that half my flank just got decimated :p.

Although it looks good on paper, the versatility just didn't pan out (for me) in game. I can't tell you how many times I would try to re-select a squad and end up grabbing half of another squad or something like that. Drove me crazy. I wish there was some way to grab individuals without running the risk of accidentally forming new squads and in the process destroying your smg/rifle squad distinction.

I dunno, it just felt super super clunky and awkward for me. Even though CoH's squad system was more limited, it just felt wayyy smoother and I never felt the need to micro manage like a maniac. The only thing I really had to worry about with micro were vehicles (for armor facing and all that) and occasionally when I needed an infantry squad to lob grenades or use some special attack.

I think if there was some way to be able to "lock" squads and then be able to select the entire squad by just clicking on one guy like in CoH while retaining the ability to grab an individual (maybe by shift clicking or something?) I could enjoy MoW a lot more.

CoH's tanks have hitpoints but they're completely immune to infantry (other than AT weapons obviously) and usually only take a few hits from other tanks (not that different than MoW really...) Infantry get utterly raped by tanks too in CoH. It's definitely a whole lot more than build orders too... I know I won a lot of games I should have lost because I just had my units in better positions than my opponent, even though I might have had fewer units. One well set up MG in CoH will rape a TON of infantry squads if they just mindlessly charge at it. Shells bounce off of armor too sometimes if it's a heavy tank you're shooting at from the front, or if you just get unlucky.

^^^And even though Close Combat is real time it definitely doesnt count as an RTS man. It's straight up wargame.

Last edited:
Upvote 0