• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New to pc gaming and have questions about this title.

Welcome to PC gaming. RO2 will require Steam. Even if you buy it from a store, it still requires Steam. Or you can buy it from Steam itself.

I have a question about ww2? was that the war they first droped the nuke bomb on the russians or something?

I do admit, I found this funny. :D For basic information about WWII, you can try Wikipedia. You surely have a lot to learn!

Upvote 0
American history classes are a joke.

I felt like I knew more than my teachers sometimes... it was pretty sad actually. The material was just abysmal. My main HS history teacher actually managed to make Greco-Roman history boring, a true hallmark for crappy teaching. We spent more time drawing pictures and writing "silly poems" (I don't have anything against poetry but this definitely did not qualify as such :p) for each of the chapter headings than actually learning anything. And this was high school lol :p. The only good history teacher I had ever in my pre-university school years was a brit :D. Only had him for one year unfortunately.

Different story in college of course, but there it's not required so only people already interested in the courses are taking them.
But you need to understand that while you may be a WWII buff or a Roman/Greek history buff, the teacher has to follow a strict guide book sent by the state or city which literally outlines every single thing he has to teach.

He may know more or less, but he has to follow it and learn more topics than you probably know.

Give him a break, being a teacher is not an easy job while playing video games for 10 years gradually learning about WWII isn't.

Upvote 0
For example, if I wanted to have a squad rush up to a tank and lob an AT grenade at it in a battle with more than a few units I either had to a) Use the whole squad to rush at the tank b) Try to individually select a guy(s) but usually end up grabbing the wrong one or more than one. c)Take my time to carefully select the right guy and in the process completely not see the fact that half my flank just got decimated :p.

Although it looks good on paper, the versatility just didn't pan out (for me) in game. I can't tell you how many times I would try to re-select a squad and end up grabbing half of another squad or something like that. Drove me crazy. I wish there was some way to grab individuals without running the risk of accidentally forming new squads and in the process destroying your smg/rifle squad distinction.

I think if there was some way to be able to "lock" squads and then be able to select the entire squad by just clicking on one guy like in CoH while retaining the ability to grab an individual (maybe by shift clicking or something?) I could enjoy MoW a lot more.

Normally the method for quickly accessing squads and individual units in RTS is through the use of hotkey assignments. I'm not sure where this originated....maybe Command and Conquer, I know they added it in the Battlenet edition of Warcraft 2.

I also know that CoH has this and possibly MoW might as well since it has since become an enormous staple of the genre and absolutely a requirement for anything even remotely approaching competitive play, plus it's simply a superb UI simplification.

If you ctrl plus a number key on the number bar in Starcraft 2, for instance, whatever group or unit you had selected at that time is assigned to the number you pressed. E.g. ctrl-1 hotkeys the group or unit to button 1. In this way you can micromanage maybe 3-4 squads and individual units, giving movement and directed attack orders towards each of them in fractions of a second.

For instance, when I played Warcraft 3, I would hotkey bind my melee and my first hero to 1, then I would hotkey bind my support+caster units to 2, and perhaps my hero to 3 or any unit I needed immediate access to 4. In this way if I needed access to a unit specific targeted ability I could do so in about 3 keystrokes.

I'm sure you knew this already, but seeing as this thread is a giant learning experience I might as well post it on the offchance that you didn't and say I think this fixes the problem and if it isn't included in MoW it would go a long way towards improving unit selection and group management.

Upvote 0
Well Company Of Heroes and Men Of Wars are like RTS Call Of Duty.
Close Combat series was like Red Orchestra of RTS.

While I do agree that CC is good, Combat Mission is >9000 times better. :IS2:

I played ps3 for about a year now but all the hackers fed it up so i got a gaming pc.
Lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arcade-like is good for RTS. Infact for most people it's the only way to go, since the theory behind the gameplay is completely unrealistic - to be commanding units from an overhead view with varying degrees of control over them, ranging from Squad Leader to Supreme Commander.

This is unlike FPS where you can be put in a real position as a Rifleman or Squad Leader, from their view, and potentially have a properly functioning world surrounding them.

My point is RTS are supposed to be arcade-like. Most people consider realism RTS no fun and that they are relatively frustrating. What is my basis on saying this? Well look at the playerbases. That doesn't mean everyone considers them no fun, it just means most people do. But you know, sometimes the whole world can be wrong and just one man can be right... but in this case these are just games and it's just a matter of personal opinion.

Besides that, we are a bit off-topic, since originally the OP was asking some questions about RO2, not good RTS to play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought Men of War AA the other day, and i must say, i enjoy it 1000x more than company of heroes, its so much more in depth and better looking. I love the direct control option, and the fact you have to think things through more, i mean, charging a tank head on and trying to throw a molotov coctail onto it always ends in failure, where as in CoH i could get away with it.

It has a steeper learning curve than CoH, but if you overcome that i ensure you, you will get a lot more out of Men of War AA than COH.

It was on the steam sale the other week, so i guess its back up to full price (it was half price, but still worth the buy) :D

also, for the motherland spam is intense. THERE EVERYWHERE MAN, JUST EVERYWHERE!

Upvote 0