• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedicated Server Crush bug

Z-MAN

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
The server sometimes crashes when Patriarch Spawn.

KF-CastleAvernusV1, KF-Concert_Hall, KF-Doom2-Final, etc ...
kf-bioticslab?(One in official map. log lost)

Warning: KFGameType KF-CastleAvernusV1.KFGameType (Function KFMod.KFGameType.MatchInProgress.SetupPickups:0163) Accessed None 'AmmoPickups'
Warning: KFGameType KF-CastleAvernusV1.KFGameType (Function KFMod.KFGameType.MatchInProgress.SetupPickups:023F) Accessed None 'AmmoPickups'
Log: STEAMAUTH : Sending updated server details - KF Map Test Server 1 | 6
ScriptLog: CHOOSEATTACKSERIAL in state InitialHunting enemy NONE old enemy NONE CALLING BYTE 26
ScriptLog: CHOOSEATTACKSERIAL in state InitialHunting enemy NONE old enemy NONE CALLING BYTE 26
:
:
LOOP
:
:
Critical: BossZombieController KF-CastleAvernusV1.BossZombieController (Function KFMod.KFMonsterController.ExecuteWhatToDoNext:00D5) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)
Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
Critical: FFrame::Serialize
Critical: AActor::processState
Critical: Object BossZombieController KF-CastleAvernusV1.BossZombieController, Old State State KFChar.BossZombieController.InitialHunting, New State State KFChar.BossZombieController.InitialHunting
Critical: AController::Tick
Critical: TickAllActors
Critical: ULevel::Tick
Critical: (NetMode=1)
Critical: TickLevel
Critical: UGameEngine::Tick
Critical: Level Castle
Critical: UpdateWorld
Critical: UServerCommandlet::Main
Exit: Exiting.
Log: FileManager: Reading 0 GByte 278 MByte 115 KByte 184 Bytes from HD took 12.085128 seconds (11.947128 reading, 0.138000 seeking).
Log: FileManager: 7.095961 seconds spent with misc. duties
Uninitialized: Name subsystem shut down
Uninitialized: Log file closed, 08/22/09 21:16:43

Same for me also.
So far it has happened on Doom2, HappyHour, Foundry (1st time map was played) & Bioticslab.

Always on the Patriarch wave.
The other 10 waves play fine, gets to wave 11, it shows Patriarch "spawn".
Server crashes.

It does not happen all the time on those maps, it only started after the Heavy Metal addon.
No custom mutators were on server when it 1st started (running the KFAntiblocker & IneedBodies one)

Where is the server logfile located?
Or is that a launch option I will need to add so it gets crated?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Confirming we've seen it happen several times on our servers since the Heavy Metal Update, identical relevant log entries to what was already posted.

Reiterating:
Code:
CHOOSEATTACKSERIAL in state InitialHunting enemy NONE old enemy NONE CALLING BYTE 26
Repeated about 50 thousand times, presumably generated from line 450 in Old2K4.MonsterController

Followed by:
Code:
BossZombieController [mapname].BossZombieController (Function KFMod.KFMonsterController.FindNewEnemy:02F2) Runaway loop detected (over 10000000 iterations)
Which in some cases occurs multiple times (suggesting multiple concurrent instances?)

Then the usual crash dump.

Please sort this asap as it is becoming a real issue and is a regressive bug introduced by the latest update! :)

Upvote 0
Having been nearly full 24/7 for the past week we've seen this occur at least twice a day, it's getting ridiculous now to the point where we may have to disable the Patriarch on our server. :mad:

It is understandably extremely frustrating for players who have made it to the final boss after an hour's gaming only for the map server to crash.

In our case it just means players are chucked onto the default map and have to nurse hurt pride but this bug has the potential to permanently bring down or livelock other servers without a heartbeat / auto-restart system like we have in place.

Please have a look into this TWI and let us know that you're doing so! :)

Upvote 0
I had my first server crash since the game's release today.

I don't keep a log so can't provide specifics but have been running it comfortably on XP SP3.

Oooo, the second crash in two days...

I've played a few full 10 rounds on my other server with custom maps and wonder if it's map specific...

Time to look at auto restart commands.

Upvote 0
Oooo, the second crash in two days...

I've played a few full 10 rounds on my other server with custom maps and wonder if it's map specific...

Time to look at auto restart commands.

this should work well for you

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=452379&postcount=2

I had this batch running and server was brought back up on its own with ease, mine is xp-x86 as well.

the couple crashes I have had aren't triggered by the pat though, at least not yet. it's always after a bunch of full games, followed by a whole heap of mesh errors (ie. anim_crawler_freak, various player model weapons, etc.), doesn't happen often though.

Upvote 0
That's great news, we have actually had to disable the Patriarch on our servers in the meantime...

As a general subjective observation on a related issue the zed path-finding seems less effective and more buggier than it was before this update with zeds exhibiting behaviour like getting stuck on edges, corners and doors or rapidly moving forwards and backwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We now have a fix for this crash up on HLDS. It is currently behind a beta password until we can verify that it is ready to be released fully. If you would like to test out this fix, please add the following to your HLSD commandline to grab the update:

-beta kfwinserverfix1006

Please post on here if you are testing the fix and let us know how it works for you.

Upvote 0