• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Might Skip This Week Playing - Free Weekend of KF2

VastSpartan

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2015
Played a couple of games trying to level gun slinger to 15 to switch to Suicidal. Lot of level 0's and under 5 are popping up. Problem arises in these points: huge amount of dying, the lines are being broken with Zed pouring in, some rarely heal themselves or other players.

I watched a support character trying to knife fight a horde of clots and crawlers that cornered and surrounded him. Amusing but the depressing in the fact that this week will be 'newbie' hell.

I would give some tips but I can already see "Stop telling me what to do and let me play"

It's the same formula. I guess the survival rate based on their current levels and it's usually is true. We survive up to wave 7 before the team wipes. I probably could have beat wave 7 but as level 13 Gun Slinger vs Fleshpounds isnt possible. The FP rage mechanics dont help either. I'f Im the last one alive (90% of the time right now) I just console suicide to save the time. Save face and start a new game for the newbies to play.

Anyone else arrive to this conjecture?

Last edited:
I didn't have a lot of fun playing last night. Between the large amount of level 0 players and the large amount of low level gunslingers I don't believe any of the PUGs I was with finished any maps. I recall getting to fight Pat on Forest but we promptly got wiped by him. If I play medic and just spam healing darts the whole time the teams get to later waves but still fail due to lack of understanding of game mechanics (FOCUS FIRE ON FPs PLEASE LOL). I type "you get money for healing each other" once in a while but it doesn't have a meaningful effect. I'd like to finish off my slinger who is level 23 but I was having similar thoughts about taking the weekend off lol.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a real lack of rationalising with free weekends, and it's not simply at one end.

I can rationalise that a lot of new players are going to flood into the game, and not have much of an idea what to do. When most of the FPS games available today say "here is the enemy - shoot it until it's dead", it's no wonder that most players see an enemy and shoot it with whatever's available to them at the time.

Despite the fact that I can appreciate this reality, a lot of veteran players either can't, or aren't happy about having to accept this reality.

~~~~

On the other hand, it seems reasonable that new players would - at least after dying a few times in underwhelming circumstances - start to stand back a moment and ask questions of the other players; that's an ideal situation. It seems reasonable, but I can rationalise and accept that this is largely not the case. New players are going to protest having their own individual playstyle impacted in any way - although this smacks of the most blatantly willful ignorance you can display in a co-op game - so does the idea that a regular player, knowing full well that the game will be inundated with free-weekenders, still expect that their game quality or enjoyment level not be impacted in any way.

It's these two ends of this game's community - the regular and the newfriend - both unwilling to be flexible, that will influence how many of the weekend warriors that simply aren't going to buy or return to the game. Whether that's in the game's, or the community's best interests, I can't really say for sure.

Naturally, you're going to miss a few converts due to these issues, but for the players that do try-and-buy the game... stick around, read up where you can, try not to let it all get to you, and pay attention to what the decent players do. You can't really go too far wrong if you do that.

Upvote 0
I'd be happy to coach new players on how to play the game. The problem is, I can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped. In most cases, my suggestions are met with either "Shut up ****** and let me play how I want" or "Lol dude Im good at shooters". A few waves in, the team wipes and the newbies are blaming everything but their own ineptitude for our failure. Rinse and repeat for a while until I feel like flipping tables.

Upvote 0
I been offering to help new players in games I join and so far none have asked or taken any advice I give to heart, and in one instance I was meet with hate and rage for trying to teach them :D

Things like "We ar not dumb", "why yu think are better then us?!" and "**** you, rude asshole" from 3 lvl 0 Demo, Berseker and Medic. Granted, they didin't die, but the Zerker never parried, the medic never healed and the Demo did not shot at FP's (even after I explicitly told them FPs are weak to explosives). I am openminded and have alot of patience thou, so I let them explore the game at their own leisure, all I would have wanted them to say thou is: "Thank you, but we'll do this on our own" and that would have been just fine.

I guess I am being unrealistic thou, expecting reason and politeness from the Internet.

Upvote 0
Threads like this really disappoint me. As veteran players you should be trying to teach new players how to play and show them the kind of cooperative community that KF encourages. You guys are clearly not part of that.

If winning is all you care about, maybe you should play a single player game.

Upvote 0
Threads like this really disappoint me. As veteran players you should be trying to teach new players how to play and show them the kind of cooperative community that KF encourages. You guys are clearly not part of that.

I just explained why I can't teach. Read the posts.

I am a veteran. I just don't have the patience when some little **** is bad mouthing me when I tell them a simple tip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

When "a medic pistols would be a good pickup, they are good for healing allies and easy kills" gets met with "stfu" a few times, a person's congeniality diminishes a bit. And in most common cases, lvl 0's don't even stick around for the post-wipe group therapy session where learning usually occurs. They jump in, get turned into hamburger meat, and dart out, leaving us with 200+ zeds to kite around.

Upvote 0
What I hate most during scrub weeks is when they ask how or what to press to do something in the heat of battle. As if there wasn't a single player in the game.

You think it would be common sense to either play single or check your key layouts before playing online.

Edit: Yes I have played a Unreal 3 game that throws you in a practice map before jumping into the actual game. More games need this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Have you..ever played an online game in your life? I always try to help new players and explain mechanics. I'd even buy them weapons in KF1 when perk discounts were a thing. Sometimes they're cool and everyone's happy, 90% of the time they ignore me or outright insult me. People are douchebags.

Upvote 0
For those who are going to skip playing the game/stick to solo offline during free weekend, i recommend setting up a game server with normal difficulty, then add helpful tips and advice (including link to steam guides, official forums, etc.) in Message Of The Day welcome screen. That way people who want to learn something about the game, will have an easier way to do so.
The server isn't resource-heavy or difficult to setup.
I knew nothing about UT-servers, yet following this guide turned to be very easy - http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?title=Dedicated_Server_(Killing_Floor_2)

Upvote 0
My experience so far was horrible.
You can't play Suicidal.

At one point I had 3 Level 0 join in Wave 9, after the other 3 guys got raped and left.
So you have 3 Level 0 at Wave 9 with no weapons or dosh, can't find their way to the trader or what to do there, then run off alone and get pounded...

GG

Honestly, just play Firebug and berzerker on Hard and do your own thing... That's the only way to play the game over Free Weekends.

@Devs: Please just implement an auto-kick function if you join a Suicidal server and you have no Perks above level 5/10 and if you do, you are forced to play those - if only for the Free Weekends so new players can have fund in Normal and Hard, but not ruin Suicidal and HoE for everyone else.

Upvote 0
I hate the free weekends, they are ruining the game. Every time since KF1. Tons of 0-1lvls on hard and sui. I won't even bother checking HoE. The biggest gripe I have is that I see demos running with comm weapons and other combinations like that.

I don't see the point in the free weekends honestly. If someone wanted to buy the game he would have bought it on day 1 or soon after or even if he is that poor he will wait for sale he won't wait for free weekend to free weekend to play the game; The players who play during the free weekends will never go back that's for sure; The players who play during the free weekends think this is CoD Zombies and they will do fine but they don't and they rage and they never go back; Basically the free weekends puts off the veterans because why should one bother with the noobs? In KF2 I bothered for 1 or 2 free weekends and that was it. Now I decided to play because these days I am very busy and don't have much time and it happened to have free time and decided to play 1-2 maps in KF2 - huge mistake..

Upvote 0
I just explained why I can't teach. Read the posts.

I am a veteran. I just don't have the patience when some little **** is bad mouthing me when I tell them a simple tip.

Youre also a wise man!! :D

Besides youd be wasting ur time... most of these players are used to unintelligent gameplay, herd-mentality tactics or worse bestPCwins/P2W.

Youre better off out of it! ;)

Upvote 0
I hate the free weekends, they are ruining the game. Every time since KF1. Tons of 0-1lvls on hard and sui. I won't even bother checking HoE. The biggest gripe I have is that I see demos running with comm weapons and other combinations like that.

I don't see the point in the free weekends honestly.

Bruh if free weekends didn't result in a huge influx of sales no one would do it. Tripwire knows business and I 100% guarantee the free weekends are extremely profitable. They have families to feed, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their heart and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just temporarily annoying for people who know the game.

Upvote 0