• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heavy tanks in RO2:HOS

As long as any future game that DOES have the IS2 they also offer the King Tiger, I will be happy. I still think it's hilarious that the only kingtigers in the game lifetime of RO were modded into Darkest Hour. King Tigers, like most of Germany's last ditch weapons were mostly used on the eastern front.

But for god' sake, please no is2 or tiger tank in HOS. Kursk would be a perfect scenario for tiger tanks.

Upvote 0
As long as any future game that DOES have the IS2 they also offer the King Tiger, I will be happy. I still think it's hilarious that the only kingtigers in the game lifetime of RO were modded into Darkest Hour..

a large number of Dh supporters were ppl who wanted late war german armour, and the advantages that came with it - which was even more marked when they got to use them on the western front.
So despite some ppl's protests that the tank maps were biased and no fun, they were happy.

Fortunately RO tanking avoided this issue when dh catered for the KT lobby.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
a large number of Dh supporters were ppl who wanted late war german armour, and the advantages that came with it - which was even more marked when they got to use them on the western front.
So despite some ppl's protests that the tank maps were biased and no fun, they were happy.

Fortunately RO tanking avoided this issue when dh catered for the KT lobby.

Sometimes not being evenly balanced is fun as hell, not all the time, but I hope TWI remembers this. I was playing Red Orchestra today as a German squad leader on Konigsplatz, and while we lost, we killed alot of Russians and held them off a long time, and it was fun.

Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Sometimes not being evenly balanced is fun as hell, not all the time, but I hope TWI remembers this. I was playing Red Orchestra today as a German squad leader on Konigsplatz, and while we lost, we killed alot of Russians and held them off a long time, and it was fun.

i totaly agree, but imo the king tiger would have been a step too far- implemented with the values that RO used for tanks, it would have created an imbalance that would go far beyond any exsisting contempory tank matchup of RO.

I don't speak for TW at all, but judging by posts made by devs here and on the DH forums in the past i suspect they may have believed this too.

Phaps it could have been added in an intellegent way that would have eased the disparity; however - seeing as some of the most vocal KT advocates were the perpetually teamstacking german tankers on orel, who even went as far as creating grossly unbalanced versions of that map to seemingly live a shared panzer-fantasy, i seriously doubt it.

Anyway like i say - they went over to DH, got their king tigers, they're happy i'm happy.

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
It's based on a discussion thread that got carried away and turned into a running joke.
If that is a joke then they might need mental help.:confused:

the best tanks were probably the T34/85 and the Panther...the T34/85 fixed most of the 76's problems.
It never fixed the thin hull frontal armor. The T34/85 would be too vulnerable to be the best.

Tiger was half advanced and half obsolete. Its armour was non sloped.
Not really. When the enemies most common guns have to close within 500 meters (talking about the 85 mm) or less to have a chance against the frontal armor...

King Tigers, like most of Germany's last ditch weapons were mostly used on the eastern front.
That is why it was a big disappointment that they were not in the map Ogeldow or Konigsplatz and others.

with the values that RO used for tanks, it would have created an imbalance
Eh. Using RO values just 2 shot kill it from the side with the PTRD just like the Tiger I or hit it with 5 HE from an SU-76.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When talking about Balance you need to remember that not all balance needs to be symmetrical. You can have asymmetrical balance, which in my opinion is way more fun.

Symmetrical Balance would be one two T34's vs two Panzers. Asymmetrical Balance would two T34s vs one Tiger, and a better tactical advantage for the Soviets to compensate.

Only the tiger was much stronger and needed 4 to 6 t-34s to counter it. Map advantage should depend on the strategy of a team. I also cannot understand why TWI is limiting itself when they could have the sp focusing on stalingrad, but mp spanning the entire war 41-45. We could then get proper weapons like pps-43 and stg-44 instead of those unpopular guns they have now.

Reactions: Direct and CCCP
Upvote 0
I guess they want to focus on actual sites that battles took place, not just generalize by having a Leningrad map, a Stalingrad map, then some random open field in the steppes etc.

And this very decision will bring us grain elevator which looks damn nice :p

Anyone who isn't looking forward to playing in possibly the greatest/most important battle this Earth has ever seen should reconsider why they are on this forum.

Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
Only the tiger was much stronger and needed 4 to 6 t-34s to counter it. Map advantage should depend on the strategy of a team. I also cannot understand why TWI is limiting itself when they could have the sp focusing on stalingrad, but mp spanning the entire war 41-45. We could then get proper weapons like pps-43 and stg-44 instead of those unpopular guns they have now.

I'd rather have the most epic battle in human history for now, maybe they'll do the most epic tank battle (Kursk) in human history after this as a dlc, and then maybe Berlin.

However my opinion on hero weapons is that, if hero is such a hard rank to get, I doubt a veteran RO player would actually want to use an MKB or AVT, they'd probably just want to use a bolt or something, we'll probably see more hero weapons in mods than used by heroes.

There is no evidence to point towards the MKB in Stalingrad, if people want to use an MP44 then just wait for a DLC to come out with other battles, same thing for the IS2 and Tiger, as for the AVT, it sucked in real life, after the first shot its probably an AA gun, I heard troops were not allowed to use them on full auto and they were discontinued.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have the most epic battle in human history for now, maybe they'll do the most epic tank battle (Kursk) in human history after this as a dlc, and then maybe Berlin..

kursk is nice - i've still got some external models of kursk era armour as it goes...
I also like bagration era for tanking.

Berlin not really for me. I like my theatres to be fairly evenly balanced (historically, battles that might have gone either way - i don't mean identical loadouts), rather than utterly hopeless.

Weird, i love stalingrad despite being such a hellish battle, but I find the whole Berlin thing; the faust-kids, the volkstrum, the russian retribution, all of it - really sad and depressing.

Upvote 0
My two cents.

What would be a cool add-on/expansion pack is Operation Winter-Storm.
Perhaps include new maps(perhaps more open spaces, or more combined arms maps) , The Tiger PzKpwVI, a KV type vehicle.
I'd pay for that expansion pack.

I'm giggling a bit at myself here, as the game hasn't even come out yet, and already "I am giving tasks" to Tripwire.

Upvote 0
kursk is nice - i've still got some external models of kursk era armour as it goes...
I also like bagration era for tanking.

Berlin not really for me. I like my theatres to be fairly evenly balanced (historically, battles that might have gone either way - i don't mean identical loadouts), rather than utterly hopeless.

Weird, i love stalingrad despite being such a hellish battle, but I find the whole Berlin thing; the faust-kids, the volkstrum, the russian retribution, all of it - really sad and depressing.

You know what, you're kind of right, I've been reading Anthony Beevors Siege of Berlin and it is the most depressing book ever, while Stalingrad was hell on earth, both sides were fairly evenly balanced for much of the battle, in Berlin, it was hordes of well equipped veterans with a sea of tanks, vs ill equipped ill trained boy soldiers. The Konigsplatz and Pariserplatz maps were fun, although that was whatever last remnants of the SS there were, the battle as a whole is unplayable. Atleast with Kursk and Stalingrad the Germans had a chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0