• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Dead Island

Just gonna correct some of these for those might be interested in buying the game.

Imagine Borderlands. Now imagine it looking good. Now imagine it being less open. Now imagine it with melee weapons, but all items have about half as many stats and actual interesting effects.
Firearms do come into play later on in Act 2 (or Chapter 5), tho at least at the moment they're mostly used in special circumstances (for example to fight humans who carry guns), tho I've yet to come across a situation that I couldn't bash and stab myself out of.
Now imagine if most enemies never spawned or moved away from their original spawn point. Imagine if they respawned the minute you ran into town and back out. Imagine if contents of containers did the same thing.
There are "runners", who run at you from a distance. You'll see more of them in Act 2. The number of different enemies will go up as the game progresses, not gonna spoil what kind they are.
Imagine if the vehicles were first person and you couldn't look behind you.
You can look behind you, at least on the PC. You can move your head while driving, so if you want to look behind, just look behind. I actually really like how they've handled driving. It's fun to speed through the streets, avoiding obstacles and running down zombies.
Imagine almost the same skill tree concept, with even more boring skills.
Very true. Skills are rather boring. You get a few special moves from certain skills, but most just increase various stat percentages (ie, +10% damage with bladed weapons, +15% change of bleeding, etc).
That's pretty much Dead Island. It's also fairly buggy to boot, from the game to how the game was distributed.
Honestly haven't seen many bugs, at least nothing gamebreaking.

Upvote 0
Don't know if this will help, but I'm running it maxxed out @1920x1080 and it's very smooth (haven't seen FPS drop below 50, usually above 60-70).

i7 920 @3.4GHz, HD5770, 6GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

And here's a comparison of max graphics vs minimum:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
I'm currently uploading (or at least attempting to upload) a 25 minute gameplay vid to YouTube.

It's solo play though, since my friends don't stay up as late as I do.

My only real complaints with the game are the crappy mouse sensitivity in menus and the presence of some repeatable fetch quests.

Respawning items and enemies aren't nearly as noticeable when playing in Co-op. You can cover a larger area and the prevalence of loot helps everyone, since you all pick from the same pot and have to share.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Firearms do come into play later on in Act 2 (or Chapter 5), tho at least at the moment they're mostly used in special circumstances (for example to fight humans who carry guns), tho I've yet to come across a situation that I couldn't bash and stab myself out of.
More I meant, there's less goofy exotic weaponry than in Borderlands. You may have the bat that sets people on fire, or the electrified throwing knife....but compared to finding a shotgun that shoots missiles in Borderlands.....or a pistol that shoots shotgun rounds...every 5 minutes, Dead Island seems like its item system is under-utilized. Melee weapons have three stats IIRC. There's just not a lot to pay attention to.

But yeah, I only saw the first 20% of the game.

There are "runners", who run at you from a distance. You'll see more of them in Act 2. The number of different enemies will go up as the game progresses, not gonna spoil what kind they are.
Again, it's not that they don't move (after they see you) or that there aren't enough. It's that the zombie is always going to be behind the truck that's outside of Spawn Point X. Always. And he doesn't even have the decency to stay dead beyond when you reach a check point.

You can look behind you, at least on the PC. You can move your head while driving, so if you want to look behind, just look behind. I actually really like how they've handled driving. It's fun to speed through the streets, avoiding obstacles and running down zombies.
Well that's a plus for the PC....the Xbox version doesn't seem to allow for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Again, it's not that they don't move (after they see you) or that there aren't enough. It's that the zombie is always going to be behind the truck that's outside of Spawn Point X. Always. And he doesn't even have the decency to stay dead beyond when you reach a check point.

Well, they aren't ALWAYS in the same spots, but they do tend to gather in the same areas.

Later on unique zeds mix things up a bit. There are areas where you may have regular zeds or the big mothers that try to charge you down, or the area may be a place to get ambushed by runners.

It's a lot better on Co-op, believe me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I personally love it, but it has nothing to do with L4D or KF, this is pretty much Borderlands with zombies, it has a slower pace.

Lots of inventory, weapon and skill management, but there are no hordes of zombier or anything, is more of a sandboxy RPG with zombies around, and most them are slow. Some are quite strong and it takes a bit of strategy with your team to approach them though, which is cool.

Upvote 0
I personally love it, but it has nothing to do with L4D or KF, this is pretty much Borderlands with zombies, it has a slower pace.

Lots of inventory, weapon and skill management, but there are no hordes of zombier or anything, is more of a sandboxy RPG with zombies around, and most them are slow. Some are quite strong and it takes a bit of strategy with your team to approach them though, which is cool.

Excellent! Thanks, Fed :)

I'll post when I got it, in case anyone wants to play some coop

Upvote 0