• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No more realism mode for me.

I have hesitated a couple of times as I am ready to pull the trigger, wondering if it is a soviet or german soldier hiding in the dark in front of me, but it just makes the game much more fun and intriguing :)

So to answer your quesion; yes, sometimes during the heat of battle it can be hard to tell, depending on the situation and how far away the person is.

Agreed. Sometimes you hesitate and in doing so avoid murdering a comrade. Sometimes you don't hesitate and end up murdering a comrade.:(

Sometimes you hesitate and end up dead. :mad:

One of the many reasons why war is hell and best experienced behind a monitor with a beer by your side. :)

Upvote 0
Lol are you one of the people that runs down a hallway, sees me crouched aiming at a doorway, NOT firing at you at all and you look at me for a solid minute, then shoot me cuz you thought I was a German? If so then I HATE YOU.

Erm, but srsly, it's not hard to distinguish unless ofc maybe your graphics are on low, but I wouldn't know what that looks like thankfully.

Upvote 0
  1. MOVEMENT POSTURE: It is said that the two sides hold their weapons differently and run differently. I had not noticed and therefore cannot give advice on it yet.
When sprinting with a long gun, a Soviet will hold it perpendicular to his direction of travel, in both hands. A German will hold it parallel to travel in only one hand, while his other arm swings for balance.

Note that this applies in first person mode, too. If you forget how your own side holds their weapon while running, just run yourself and check.

There are other differences, but they're more subtle, just something I imagine we'll pick up on unconsciously over time.

Upvote 0
Don't shoot unless you're 100% sure, maybe?
Perhaps this should be the 'newbie' golden rule. But otherwise this is an inflexible rule that I disagree with. Can one ever be 100% sure? Maybe if they show their ID. :) But yeah, have to draw the line somewhere. One must weigh the risks of not firing if they are hostile, to how high the probability is that they are hostile. If they pose little threat it is not a big deal to hold fire, even if pretty sure they are hostile. But if they are in a position to wipe out half your team (or more) and there's a 60% chance they are hostile, maybe it would be better to take the safe choice.

In reality I would probably not reason the same way. But in this game, the temporary death-for-a-few-seconds of a 3D avatar and 1 less reinforcement for one's team is not a big loss. :)

[/LIST]
When sprinting with a long gun, a Soviet will hold it perpendicular to his direction of travel, in both hands. A German will hold it parallel to travel in only one hand, while his other arm swings for balance.

Note that this applies in first person mode, too. If you forget how your own side holds their weapon while running, just run yourself and check.

There are other differences, but they're more subtle, just something I imagine we'll pick up on unconsciously over time.
Thanks! I'll look for this next time I play. I edited my post to include this information (hopefully I understood it correctly).

Upvote 0
The problem I have is with communication. I generally only TK people when they suddenly enter my view (such as leaving a doorway or window) at close range and turn towards me. If I better explained to my team where I was and what I was doing perhaps they could warn me in return they are about to pop out.

Under those circumstances one only has the barest fraction of a second to ID the target, as I've seen some twitch-shooters so good in our server they may as well be aimbotting. :(

However I have been shot in the back while advancing to the objective so many times on Red October I totally lost it last night. :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree with you MikkOwl. Only shooting with a 100% certainty is not always going to be an option and I think it adds to the realism of this game that you have to make split second decisions that don't always go right. I think what was said earlier about the Barracks map in that the light is deceiving (and not a bug) is true and you can't always tell whether that guy is russian or german. Luckily most people are aware of this and the sorry/np reply is generally well accepted.

Upvote 0
My TKs have been from bad nade tosses/timing
or on some maps i have had the issue of some of my team flanking the enemy. Then they are running at me from the direction i am used to seeing enemies at, so i shoot first and ask about TKs later.

one thing that helped a lot was to turn off bloom.
this made it much easier to tell the character models apart on day maps.
however one thing is still a problem for me.

Silhouette.

If all the Germans were in helmets and all the Russians in hats you could tell the silhouette at distance way better.
As it is most of my TKs are from the Russian side shooting my helmet wearing buddies.

Upvote 0
No, the germans have green/dark uniforms. The russians have the brown ones. Also the helmet helps alot and ofc the movement.

I play realism only since i have the feeling it is not this laser shooting like in normal mode and people actually miss a shot. ofc it could be abitm ore sway so you need to use the cover system more often.

Upvote 0
I have hesitated a couple of times as I am ready to pull the trigger, wondering if it is a soviet or german soldier hiding in the dark in front of me...

I've done this quite a number of times, and right when I've pressed the mouse button to fire, I see a flash and have my head blown off by the person I'm looking at... Oh well, I've only TK'd four or five times in the 10 hours I've played, so I guess it's better to be hesitant...

Upvote 0
It is a bit of a problem IMO. I'll be the first to admit I've TK'd a few guys because one of the German uniforms looks very close to the Russian under certain lighting. I've also been TK'd far more than my share by guys thinking I'm the other team.

I'm not sure what role he is, but one of the German chars with out the helmet looks like he has a brown coat under some lighting. As far as the running animations, well they aren't always running so in dark lighting it's either you shoot him hope he's a bad guy or you let him shoot you, because yep he was a bad guy.

I'm guessing this is a bigger issue the lower you set your graphics, because I had mine on high and didn't have too much issues telling the teams apart but recently set it to med due to lag on Barracks. Now I notice a bit of trouble in bad lighting telling them apart.

Upvote 0
Usually if they're facing in the direction my team is heading, chances are they're an enemy. It'd be pretty stupid to be someone on your team with his back turned away from where the enemies are coming from.

Some of the best places to kill your enemy, is where they least expect you to be. I have a few spots where I sit facing away from the enemy because I shoot them in the back as they run by.

:D

It also makes it much harder for them to find you if their back is turned, as they have no idea where the shot came from.

I can't say that it needs to be dumbed down as it's pretty fun not being 100% sure at times, but damn does it suck getting TK'd over and over. The other day I got TK'd 4 times in a row so I called arti in on my team as they were attacking the next objective.. Figured that would teach them and it was kinda funny.

Last edited:
Upvote 0