• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

No more realism mode for me.

I haven't had this problem. Most of my TK's are basically when a teammate runs in front of my line of fire. If you watch closely the running animation of both teams, you can distinguish which is which. Although I have to admit, sometimes the German and Russian helmets look exactly the same when they're crouched next to a sandbag bunker; and when that's the case, I shoot either way. It's me or him.. lol

Upvote 0
I where having a 1v1 earlier yesterday, and we stalked each other for a long time on Red October. Nerves where on the max. I entered this little room and decided to observe outside a window for a while. Little did I notice in this tense moment that another one had joined the server. He joined to my unawareness my team, and snuck up in the same room as I was in. Suddenly he started to fire his machinepistol and I flipped out, held the left mouse button and sprayed the entire room with bullets.

Needless to say he died!

Upvote 0
It can sometimes be difficult to differentiate. But a little thought and logic goes a long way.

If i have time, i do several things.

a) Look at my minimap
b) Look where the attack/defend points are, to give an indication of where i should atleast expect the enemy
c) Look where my allies have died, it can help to figure out where the enemy are too
d) And ofcourse, look hard at the enemy - rarely do i find it impossible to tell the difference

I've only played the game for about 20 hours, and perhaps had 5 or so TK's in this time. It's not unavoidable unless you really study every shot (which isn't realistically possible) but 1 every three or four hours or so isn't all that bad.

I've never shot someone that didn't understand either, they all just said no problem after i apologised :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I thought the same thing when I first started playing. It takes a while to get used to who is who.

The Russians wear a tan colored uniform and the Germans a blue one.

The most important thing is to learn the map. Generally the enemies will be the ones facing you, not running away. This takes time, probably around 5-10 matches before you actually know how a map is laid out and where the enemy is.

Again, it takes a little patience. After a few rounds of the same map you'll have an easier time picking out the enemy from friendlies.

Upvote 0
I present a kind of guide on how to avoid murdering your brothers (and sisters) in arms as well as to avoid getting murdered by them:

Rules of Engagement

1. Never fire on known friendlies. Even if they fire at you.
  2. If friendlies are in your line of fire and there is a chance you accidentally hit them, do not fire. EXCEPTION: If the friendly has not spotted or is unable to defend himself against a threat, open fire as cautiously you can, such as single fire intead of automatic, carefully aimed. That way the enemy will almost certainly die, while there is only a chance that the friendly will also die.
  3. If fired upon by an unknown, assume they are enemy and return fire.
  4. If the probability of the target being enemy is VERY high (even if not confirmed), open fire.
  5. If the situation for the team is very dangerous (such as what could be an enemy PTRS soldier deploying his weapon behind one of our tanks, or an unidentified man holding a cooked grenade and looking at a cluster of friendlies), engage the threat.
  6. In all other situations, if there is reason to doubt, hold fire until identity can be confirmed.

Prediction of Presense

1. Try to mentally keep track of where friendlies and enemies are likely to be. What direction they arrive from. Their behavior, positioning and intent.
  2. The spawn points and objectives are the most basic and reliable tools. For example, at the start of "Apartments" you know the Soviet soldiers will arrive across two bridges and take positions in the top floor windows of the building on their side.
  3. The maps show the presense of all friendlies. Try to look at it from time to time to get an idea if they already advanced further than you thought (as such you won't shoot them in the back by mistake). Or maybe there are none near you. Meaning the footsteps and shooting you hear must be hostile.
  4. Weapons do make different sounds. MG34 sounds very different from the DP-28. PPSh sounds totally different from the MP40. But also remember sometimes both sides pick up the other sides' weapons.

Target in Sight

1. COLOUR: Look at the uniform color. In some battles, the Nazi soldiers have a kind of blued grey uniform, while the USSR tends to have more teal, yellowish brown. In cold battles, the Nazis still wear essentially the same (but more worn and whitish) uniform while the Soviets have completely white outfits.
  2. HEADWEAR: Look at the headwear. Nazi soldiers normally wear the "Stahlhelm" iconic helmet. This helmet has extentions on the rear half that slightly protrude outwards, like a skirt, and cover more of the neck. The front also protrudes very slightly forwards, like a tiny sun visor. Soviet soldiers typically wear either a cloth cap or a very basic helmet which is completely round and smooth, no protruding or uneven parts. Like a round soup bowl almost.
  3. UNIFORM SHAPE: In cold scenarios, Soviet soldiers wear what looks like a skirt that goes down to their knees. The Nazi soldiers wear their summer unforms but they look washed out and brighter than normal. In my experience, their shoulder pads seem to be more prominent, while USSR soldiers have more rounded shoulders.
  4. EQUIPMENT: While it happens that enemy weapons are captured and used, in 99% of the cases if a man is holding a PPSh, he is a Soviet soldier. The GRENADE types are also prominent. The Nazi "potato masher" stick grenade is easily seen when held before a throw.
  5. MOVEMENT POSTURE: Edited correction: When sprinting, USSR men hold their rifle with both hands, with the muzzle pointing to his left. Germans sprint hold their rifle only with one hand while flapping the other arm back and forth for balance, like a runner. So think "One hand = Nazi. Two hands = Commie". If you forget which is which, look at the way your own character holds it while running.

Behavior

1. Aiming a firearm or grenade at you or a friendly is highly threatening.
  2. Appearing in positions that are normally used by the enemy. Such as windows in buildings facing toward the friendly side rather than the direction of the enemy. Examples include the many buildings in "Apartments". This is threatening.
  3. Facing the 'wrong' direction, advancing towards you cautiously, as if the danger is you and not the enemy behind him.
  4. If he has spotted you but yet makes no threatening moves, instead exposing his side or back to you, he almost certainly a friendly.
  5. If grenades were recently thrown from his location, in your direction, he is most likely enemy.
  6. If other likely enemies are near him yet takes no action to engage him, he is most likely on their side. Similarly, if your friendly soldiers has seen him but do not engage, he is probably friendly.

How to avoid becoming a casualty of friendly fire

1. Make no threatening moves. Never return fire. If aiming at them, immediately lower your weapon and face a direction where the enemy is likely to also come from. Standing up in plain sight and making yourself vulnerable will signal to the friendly that you are not a threat, and make you easily identifiable. This works for me practically every single time.
  2. Avoid facing the wrong direction.
  3. Avoid positions an enemy would likely want to use against your side (windows facing the wrong way, walls, corners etc). Instead choose spots that are typical for your own side.
  4. Avoid solo Rambo sprints deep into enemy lines. Bring friends and try to communicate to your side that you intend to advance into a certain area.
  5. Avoid picking up and using distinct enemy equipment, such as submachine guns and machine guns.
  6. Use the voice menu more. Let your character throw out taunts or other useful information. This alone makes nearby friendlies hear you are one of theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rumo
Upvote 0
Only time I ever had a problem so far is when I apparently got switched to axis from allies and I of course got really deep into the allies side (somehow with none of them shooting at me) and I kept walking past the allies then I look at the scoreboard and I'm axis o0 so I turn around and kill like 4 of them then got sniped. It was the weirdest thing ever.

I had an SL shoot at me today though when I spawned directly in front of him...made me laugh.

Upvote 0
I sometimes shoot my own german teamates on accident when it is a super long shot and they are in a dark window or something, or if they sneak up on me in a tight cooridoor and I flip out and shoot by reaction and kill them lol. I always say sorry though and they generally say NP. I think it adds more fun to the game and realism.

Upvote 0
It might sound crazy but yesterday I teamkilled a German who was like 20 meters from me, I looked at him for like 3 whole seconds before taking the shot.
If he was a russian, he wasn't supposed to be here and aiming at the direction he was aiming.

But I could have sworn he was wearing a russian uniform with a russian hat.
And I could swear his player model changed when he was dead, because I did verified if he was a german after I seen the death message.

Upvote 0
So far the only issues I've had with myself killing team members has been mostly people who want to play fetch with my grenades.

Seriously people. If you are playing as an assault class, and see a rifle man throwing a grenade somewhere, that is Not the sign for you to rush in and gun everyone down.

Wait for the boom, give it a two count, Then rush in and gun everything down. (The two count is to be sure you didn't hear the first to two nades going off.)

Upvote 0
Don't shoot unless you're 100% sure, maybe?

-Paas

This.
Can't stretch it enough. I know very well that many people are new and TK's happen, that's inherent of the game and will always happen.
So I will never blaim people for TK's when they type 'sorry, reflexes:p'.

I present a kind of guide on how to avoid murdering your brothers (and sisters) in arms as well as to avoid getting murdered by them:

Rules of Engagement

Can this be stickied or something?:cool:

Upvote 0