• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Yes, another thread about Sway.. This time with RL video reference

This video, IMO, does nothing but prove why sway needs to be increased - or at the very least, they need to introduce an even more hardcore mode where it feels like RO1 in this aspect (see my thread in the suggestions section).

I arbitrarily skipped to about 14:30, and what do I find? I find him resting his gun, and STILL taking time between some shots.

Currently, in game, people are taking about 1-2 seconds to aim (starting with your gun at hip) and pulling off amazingly easy shots. It's CoD like in nature, argue for realism all you want - but that's how the game is playing.

They NEED to have another game mode with more intense sway included or a lot of RO vets are going to lose interest very quickly.

BS....

however i agree with much more sway with no stamina, a bit more full stamina ;)

Upvote 0
i think another thing people are missing here is the fact that were supposed to get BETTER as soldiers when we advance in level...

we get more accurate and get less weapon sway...

with the amount of sway right now, whats the point? guns already hit where youre aiming them, and aiming is a breeze...

I hope in Realism mode these increased stats would not work... ok, give me alternative weapons, but nothing more.

Upvote 0
someones gotta film themselves on a ps3 with a rifle like gun on the calibration screen where they have to try to keep the crosshair perfectly still. this will show how the human body is with heart beating and blood moving making it hard to be still. it won't be even 10metres so you'll know if sway does happen.

Upvote 0
something like this

#1003 Target Box - Calibration Tutorial - YouTube

film yourself that you have perfect accuracy with unsupport on wii/ps3/xbox using pistol/rifle. this will show human error simply if the crosshair shakes a bit it means you aren't able to hold it 100% still and non moving. the gun will be lighter, and you will be closer so it should be easier then a real gun.

first put the gun on the table to prove that it is perfectly still on the calibration screen so we know its you and not the gun. then hold up the gun in your prefered stance and prove that you can aim the middle perfectly without moving the crosshair at all for 20seconds. this will end all the sway arguements.

Upvote 0
something like this

#1003 Target Box - Calibration Tutorial - YouTube

film yourself that you have perfect accuracy with unsupport on wii/ps3/xbox using pistol/rifle. this will show human error simply if the crosshair shakes a bit it means you aren't able to hold it 100% still and non moving. the gun will be lighter, and you will be closer so it should be easier then a real gun.

first put the gun on the table to prove that it is perfectly still on the calibration screen so we know its you and not the gun. then hold up the gun in your prefered stance and prove that you can aim the middle perfectly without moving the crosshair at all for 20seconds. this will end all the sway arguements.

It will end all sway arguments? If your gun moves half an inch to the right, you guys are automatically right? No. The sway already in-game already moves enough to compensate the amount that it would move if you did this experiment.

Upvote 0
It will end all sway arguments? If your gun moves half an inch to the right, you guys are automatically right? No. The sway already in-game already moves enough to compensate the amount that it would move if you did this experiment.

Exactly. You guys are talking like a half-inch deviation is enough to totally miss a man-sized target at 50-100m.

Protip: It's not.

And there is plenty of sway ALREADY IN THE GAME to make shooting above 100m tricky.

Upvote 0
theres actually sway now. i though there was no sway at all in the game even when unsupported from the youtube videos.

i don't have beta. in ro 1, the sights move very slightly even when supported and prone. thats what i want in ro 2. because its hard to keep it 100% completely still unless your a robot without a heart beat to vibrate the body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does anyone else remember when SMG's were too overpowered? Now rifles? Then MG's?

The reason everyone is complaining is because every weapon is pretty realistic. So if I am good with an SMG, I will beat you no matter what you are carrying. The same goes for the rifle and the MG.

All of you are missing the REAL problem: you've been spoiled by unrealistic games - yes, even RO1 - and have come to believe you are good at something when you are not. As an MGer, I regularly beat riflemen and SMGers in CQB, often times by simply going prone the instant I am aware of them. They end up shooting high which gives me a chance to kill them and more often than not I do.

The fact is it doesn't matter what weapon I am using, I simply adapt my tactics to compensate. That's how the real world works, and its why most of you think one or the other of the weapons is too powerful, or is gimped. You simply are not aware of the proper way to use the various weapons under realistic conditions, and so you use gamey play styles and get yourself killed, or you blast away on full auto and can't understand why you can't hit anything.

It's the man, not the machine.

Upvote 0
Yes, those are professional shooters, using extremely lightweight weapons. Kar98 weighed 3.7 kg (8.2 lb) - 4.1 kg (9.0 lb) (via wikipedia). M4 carbine weighs 6.36 lb (2.88 kg) empty/6.9 lb (3.1 kg) with 30 rounds.

I didn't watch the whole video though, the guys were super annoying.

(YEA! DOES THAT MAKE YOUR GUN WET?!)

:eek:

Oh gee, lighten up lol. Also, they're not all professional shooters, but besides the game is simulating trained riflemen anyway and not your average joes. For the most part at least. Sure as a lower rank there's an argument to be made, but for how long are we at that rank? Is it worth putting new players at that sort of disadvantage?

Upvote 0
I don't see anyone shooting Mosin unsupported in that video

ATM game is much about running and gunning.
Although stamina/speed level may be more realistic then in RO1, that is not how urban or any other battle is fought,
and that is not the spirit of Red Orchestra.

I believe that is the reason why RO vets whine and complain.

I agree with this statement. However, I don't think adding sway will help the matter, instead it could potentially hamper it. If all of a sudden everyone was less accurate with their shots, due to sway, then your ability to run out in the open increases. It will become more feasible to run and gun, sprint, close distance, and engage where sway is less a factor.

At least now on certain maps, there's the sense of being pinned down and needing to be careful with how you expose yourself.

What needs to change is not sway, but the distance and engagement ranges of the maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm sure they were trained to do it, but whether or not they did is another question.

shooting paper at the firing range is much more diferent than shooting a live target in a battlefield situation.

considering your heart is beating 5000 beats per minute, youre exhausted, and 4 rifle rounds just snapped right next to your ear; im not too sure controlled breathing is something that will come naturally

You would be amazed of the things you can do(automatically) when in extreme situations such as war.

Upvote 0
The first time I fired a real gun in my life I hit a 2x2 pan at 200 yards 8 out of 8 times using an M1 garand. I was also 12.

To this day, I can do the same with my mosin nagant, k98, etc. Bullets do not just go wherever they want.

There's a chance that your grenade won't go off in real life too, but how often does that happen? I can guarantee you not enough to model in-game. Just like the chance of a round whipping into oblivion.

I never said that bullets will go "wherever they want." I said that there is a chance that the bullet will miss the target regaurdless of how well set up you are. You could lock the gun down so it won't move at all and you can still miss a traget at range; under 250-275m though the chances are fairly low on a human sized target if you are a compotent marksmen. For example a 5.56mm bulet fired from an M4 will deviate from the point of aim by about 50cm; roughfly the distance from the center of a mans chest to the outside edge of his sholder. The longer the distance of the shot the more the deviation from the point of aim. This value can be calculated, it is called the minute of angle, it has alot to do with the rotation of the bulet(The Magnus effect), friction and a few other factors like the Coriolis drift(caused by the spin of the Earth) and it isn't all modeled into the game. Meaning a shot from 50m is just as easy as a shot from 300m. Sway isn't the issue, physics is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0