• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWI related movie thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I heard (I live near Canada, so I get CBC Windsor (compared to U.S. television, it would sort of be like a cross between a commercial U.S. major TV network and a Public Broadcasting System (PBS) station) that the actor who played the RMCP Officer in the recent TV series about the Mountie on U.S. TV (North ?, something or other, sorry I don't watch a lot of TV), is directing and wrote the script for a film about the Battle of Passchendale (1917).

It probably will be out it within two years.

There was also a made for Canadian CBC TV movie shown earlier this year in April about the Battle of Vimy Ridge (also 1917), which was the big Canadian WWI battle.

It focused on the story of a Quebec man who came from a well-connected Canadian family (with political connections). I taped part of it, but still haven't watched it, but you can probably order it through cbc.ca.

There was also some film, maybe it was made in the 1940's or 1950's that starred the actor Clark Gable as the war weary commander of a French battalion on the Western Front. It was a good film. I forget the name though and it is in black and white.

I was listening to BBC 4; they had a program about British WWI propaganda, and they said there was a documentary (a silent) about the Battle of the Somme made by the British War Office that was made during WWI, and released soon after the battle had started. I've never heard about this film before.

Some other silent films about WWI from the U.S. were The Big Parade and also Wings (which won the first Academy Award for best picture; I think the actress Clara Bow, the so called "It" girl was in it); also, Howard Hughes directed another dogfight movie (I think it was a talkie), but I forget the name (was it Hell's Angels??).

That Johnny Got His Gun film was a real downer.

****MOVIE SPOILER ALERT****

I had to turn it off; it has been years since I saw some of it, but the protagonist (actor Timothy Bottom?) is severely wounded, with everthing blown off (fairly early in the film, if I remember) and spends his days lying on a hospital bed.

It had a some surreal scenes; obviously, there is a strong anti-war message there, which I have no problems with and certainly can be the basis of a film, but that was really difficult to watch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was listening to BBC 4; they had a program about British WWI propaganda, and they said there was a documentary (a silent) about the Battle of the Somme made by the British War Office that was made during WWI, and released soon after the battle had started. I've never heard about this film before.

I recently saw a BBC documentary series called "British Film Forever" which included clips from "Battle of the Somme". The film had recently been restored and in some scenes you could now see the actual battle taking place in the distance.

Upvote 0