• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WWAUT - Lighting the fire and bringing the boom

I believe they don't mean to imply anything spooky or shady. But that's not how language works. That's why I call this mainly an communications issue.
Well that's waaay different. Yeah sure they could word it better :0
Damn man.
Sorry these days it seems like there are so many paranoid weirdies that I might've gotten you confused with one of them conspiracy-theory guys.

Upvote 0
If they wouldn't call it this would happen even more:
http://imgur.com/33GVw0B

TL;DR: TWI was right and you aren't.

This only proof there are people who will not read a single word, and no communication should target for those people. Does TWI really think their target audience are people who dont understand a word with English?

Upvote 0
1) We are still refining how it works. Currently it sticks to pretty much everything (yourself, other players...) and that will change.

I can understand why, from a balancing (and to a lesser extent, realism) standpoint you wouldn't want players to be able to slap a bunch of C4 onto the berzerker and be able to detonate him, without killing him, any time he's surrounded by zeds (and have him actively run into the middle of zed hordes FOR that exact purpose)...

But part of me is still really sad, because I have fond memories of that sort of sticky-explosive abuse playing Perfect Dark on the N64 when I was younger. :p

They will stick to Zeds though, at least? Maybe even do BONUS damage to the zed they're stuck to when detonated, for some high-risk-high-reward anti-Fleshpound tactics?

And if they do stick to zeds, what happens if a zed is killed / ragdolled with one on them?

I could see some REALLY fun team-up attacks between players; Demolitions slaps a C4 onto the nearest clot and then a 'zerker golf-swings the clot away, into a horde of his friends, for the demo to then detonate.

Upvote 0
You guys could have used a couple of 555 timers and some passives instead of an Arduino.
Couldn't an arduino technically work though? I mean I'm not an electrician or anything but awhile back me and some guys did some LED stuff with one. Then again I dunno whether or not blast caps need more than 5 or so volts.

Upvote 0
Couldn't an arduino technically work though? I mean I'm not an electrician or anything but awhile back me and some guys did some LED stuff with one. Then again I dunno whether or not blast caps need more than 5 or so volts.

I don't really know how electric C-4 detonators works, but I guess they use a rather small signal (probably less than 24V 1A) to activate a small explosive charge (creating a spark?), which initiates the C-4 explosion.

So, yes, an Arduino with some additional hardware should do the job. The 555 thing is just a joke.

Usually there are lots of projects out there that uses an Arduino to things like flashing LEDs or other simple tasks that could have been done with a 555 or other simple hardware. That's where the joke comes from.

Btw, microcontrollers are so cheap nowadays that I don't see any problem in using them to do very simple tasks like flashing a LED, really.

Upvote 0
I don't really know how electric C-4 detonators works, but I guess they use a rather small signal (probably less than 24V 1A) to activate a small explosive charge (creating a spark?), which initiates the C-4 explosion.

So, yes, an Arduino with some additional hardware should do the job. The 555 thing is just a joke.

Usually there are lots of projects out there that uses an Arduino to things like flashing LEDs or other simple tasks that could have been done with a 555 or other simple hardware. That's where the joke comes from.

Btw, microcontrollers are so cheap nowadays that I don't see any problem in using them to do very simple tasks like flashing a LED, really.
yeah I think the blast caps are pretty punchy, relatively speaking; I think it's a little more than a spark anyway since C4 is pretty darn stable.
But yeah, I dunno what a 555 is so I didn't get the rest of original statement :/

Upvote 0
yeah I think the blast caps are pretty punchy, relatively speaking; I think it's a little more than a spark anyway since C4 is pretty darn stable.
But yeah, I dunno what a 555 is so I didn't get the rest of original statement :/

A spark ignites a detonating explosive. The detonating explosive detonates the C4.

The 555 is a pretty versatile timer IC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_timer_IC

Upvote 0