• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Wtf!? Another bug (read "item") hunt? (achievements)

IMO it would be more interesting if items appeared in random locations on the map, but finding them would give real in-game benefit. It can be extra dosh or unique gun or even some quest-like features:
  • Find 10 light bulbs on Paris to restore lighting in metro.
  • Find 15 special ammo boxes on Outpost to enable mounted minigun (with limited ammo).
  • Find 20 tesla coils on Manor to unlock friendly Tesla Husk for one wave :p
That's a great idea! It's difficult to get excited about achievements just for the sake of achievements; if there were some real motivation to succeed I bet more people would work for them.

Upvote 0
I don't understand why most of you are already complaining about something that we still know little about. TW has not stated yet (as far as I know) exactly how many of these items must be found or how they will be implemented into the maps.

IMO, achievements are pointless anyways, just to give players with a certain mentality "bragging" rights that they have acquired them. It is a stupid console feature that has somehow bled it's way into PC games. If I get an achievement while I play the game, fine whatever, if I don't, I could care less.

I agree with Poosh, that if the achievements actually did something more than just give a trophy, then actually trying to acquire them might be worth the time to do. The ONLY achievements I actually tried the get in KF1 was the Reaper skin during the Halloween event and the Z.E.D. gun from Moon Base. They actually gave something in return instead of just a trophy.

Why don't we wait first to see how they implement this, then tell TW the direction and changes that we think they should take with it?

Upvote 0
I would have liked them better if they were a persistent client-side thing. Like, if I find one of the random tchatchkis in a map and collect it, I won't have to grab it again the next time I play. For another player, it won't be collected for them or removed on THEIR client, they have to go get it themselves, too.

It would be a different sort of meta-game. Just a treat for hyper-aware players going through the same routines on the sam maps for the Nth time, and rewarding people for exploration (which should always be rewarded)

Still, it's not like it hurt anything in KF1. If you didn't want to participate then just play on higher-difficulty servers where nobody is going to bother macguffin hunting??? It was a fun bit of meta-game for those casual nights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was kind of in shock, not when they brought them back so early (literally too soon for that stuff), but for every...single....MAP! I too was a little baffled by the mass community response because I never saw it. It isn't that they shouldn't be in the game, I just don't think they were needed for every map, especially during the EA process when other things are more important.

I just hope they aren't something completely crazy like, "Find 30 gnome dolls". It got to be way too many you had to find. Perhaps if it was like 5-10 at random locations for each individual match (not round). That way you couldn't just server hop and expect them to be in the same locations you found.

I never really liked them. Every new map turned into a easter egg hunt that got a little silly after awhile.

Upvote 0
Seriously, who asked for this?

We might as well have an HUD slot machine that has a 0.01% chance of giving random players godmode.

Not only are these item hunts pointless and time-consuming, they are also quite immersion-breaking if you think about it.

Share some statistics please, Tripwire, if you want to convince us that these item hunts are actually something that the 'community' wants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I ever have the opportunity to work with TWI again I will take full advantage of the ragdoll physics and put so many collectibles in a map you have to melee and blast your way through them to progress in the map. Picture one of those claw machines at the arcade, the ones where you try to grab a stuffed animal/toy with it, now picture being tiny and placed inside the claw machine chamber completely smothered by stuffed animals/toys, that's what I will do. There will be no mercy, doors will be stuck open from the overflow, zeds will NEVER have a line of sight to you, nor you to them. Matches will end with the agonizing and brutal screams of the friends you convinced to buy KF2 getting stuck in piles of collectibles, unable to move, being stared at by countless dead eyes.

Upvote 0
If I ever have the opportunity to work with TWI again I will take full advantage of the ragdoll physics and put so many collectibles in a map you have to melee and blast your way through them to progress in the map. Picture one of those claw machines at the arcade, the ones where you try to grab a stuffed animal/toy with it, now picture being tiny and placed inside the claw machine chamber completely smothered by stuffed animals/toys, that's what I will do. There will be no mercy, doors will be stuck open from the overflow, zeds will NEVER have a line of sight to you, nor you to them. Matches will end with the agonizing and brutal screams of the friends you convinced to buy KF2 getting stuck in piles of collectibles, unable to move, being stared at by countless dead eyes.

I think I wet myself a little... :D:D

Upvote 0
You know, it's possible that they could go a more serious route with the collectibles this time around.

Instead of clown dolls or money bags or whatever that we're shooting for no reason, they could be... jars of specimen bio-samples or confidential horzine files or somesuch.

And there could be a small bonus for each one found? Not that money is ever really much of an issue in the game at this point..

Maybe special waves where the zeds will just keep gradually respawning until some macguffins are located? Not like, 30 of them, jeez no... maybe just like, three that are in randomized locations.

Upvote 0