• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Would Kf2's replayability increase just due balance.

FreakWolf

Oct 1, 2019
It is more than a question than a suggestion because obviously a lot of people thought about this, but still... Why doesn't Tripwire risks more balance changes? I DO know Killing Floor 2 is mostly player as PvE and therefore does not need some precise balance since no one will be affected by it, yet at the current state, I do believe it is starting to became a drawback, mostly due the community's response regarding the new weapons.

To put it short, I'll simplify what I've seen about Rhinos and SWAT Nailgun:

Rhinos: Is it a new weapon? Yes, fresh new. Is it unique? Yes, it does give the DPS class Gunslinger a very intereseting trash-cleaning option. Will it be used often? Well, Deagles and AF are better, so no.

SWAT Nailgun: Is it a new weapon? No, just a reskin old one. Is it Unique? Not really, it does give some penetration and ricochet to Swat, but is still a trash cleaner. Will it be used often? Strong weapon, yes.

Sure, this might not be true or popular belief, but it got me thinking about many other weapons and perk skills that no one uses simply because they're weak and off the meta. Very few uses Pulverizer. Ever saw a serious Berserker player NOT using Parry? Old Commando class NOT using recoil reduction or being called 'trash perk until 20'? I mean, just look at how different Firebug became from before! It is now a welcome and useful trash cleaning perk from KF2's version of that annoying old uncle that shows up uninvited to your family parties.

Many weapons, perk skills and perk itself has less playtime than other just due how unbalance the game is, and that truly rips off some replayability since most people won't use it at all. Tripwire can give us 10 weapons per patch, but only 1 will be used because it suits the main classes or perks. What does it matter if all classes has 2 perk skill choices, if one is OP and other is pure trash? Unbalance just kills the concept of adaptability, full use of perk's weapons and class.

And here is why I believe balance changes should be made more often and more daring:

1) It is cheap.
Twipire is a company, thus need money. But balance changes are little more than changing numbers in a code, and some changes can truly make a old perk or weapon feel new, because it will be. No need to invest time modeling weapons, skins, voice actors, etc.

2) More use of PBE.
Of course it can't just throw changes at random, but that's what PBE is about. Instead of pretty much using it when seasonal events rolls in, and community often gives their opinion to balance it. Throw more changes on PBE and see what it works. Takes so long for every minimal change that it surprises me.

3) Personalization.
Instead of just going meta, most classes will have choices about team composition and personal preferences, making it more rewarding to invest on favorite classes and strategies. They'll use ALL weapons and perks, instead of usual 3 weapons and forget all the others.

4) Bring constant news to the game
Even if not every change goes through, it will make people interested in every update, wondering what changed and try it out, making some people come back just to try them.

So...yeah, please TW consider making some smaller balance changes along the weeks, it'll show you guys care about the game, bring people to play the game outside the season events, and maybe even fix some issues.

Reactions: missing_trigger
I agree in general on the part that being more bold on balance patches for betas would be way better. The game has the unique option to offer a few weeks for testing so the number of balance changes could be easily increased and then the ones which seem to be nice can be kept in the live build.

But I don't get what you are talking about no parry Berzerker or recoil Commando Skill.

Parrying for the Barzerker is a key feature of the Perk, no reason to make options for less parrying builds. One can use the Skills to get buffs from parrying or lesser passive buffs, that is quite nice I think.

The same with the Commando, I think the Commando is overpowered in his role even with no recoil reduction at all. The assault rifle recoil in this game is way softer than on other fps titles and it should have been a part of mastering Comamndo instead of diminishing that part of "Perk-mastering" with level progression. By the way, level 20 Skill does not give a recoil reduction any more, recoil reduction is now a passive on Commando which increases with each level (since this Haloween update).

To your point 2): They can currently barely keep the game stable with current seasonal updates. Having more frequent updates would cost more, definitely (to your first point). Even with slight number changes a little bug can sneak in and then make things worse.

To point 3): Balance without "metas" doesn't exist. It is per definition not possible. "Making all weapons viable" is what they were trying to do by introducing the upgrade system and it ended up being absolutely terrible and now it is still in there. The weapons for not meant to be used that way. But I have to say they did some nice patches with the Husk Canon and HMTech-301 and 201 lately. I hope they will continue this with other weapons.

Upvote 0
I agree in general on the part that being more bold on balance patches for betas would be way better. The game has the unique option to offer a few weeks for testing so the number of balance changes could be easily increased and then the ones which seem to be nice can be kept in the live build.

But I don't get what you are talking about no parry Berzerker or recoil Commando Skill.

I used the Berzerker's perk skill 'Parry' and the old Commando's perk skill 'Hollow Point Rounds' as examples of skills that are simply too good and makes the other option pretty much abadoned. They did changed the Commando's lv 20 perk skill , and that is a great thing in my opinion, making now a real choice between them instead of 'just pick this one'.

Parrying for the Barzerker is a key feature of the Perk, no reason to make options for less parrying builds.

Exactly. Parrying is a key feature for the Berzerker, just like headshots are the key feature in Sharpshooter (It may be personal opinion, but I believe parrying is easier than landing headshots), and the lv 15 perk skill 'Parry' completely outshines the 'Resistance' perk. Why would anyone get a perk that offers less than half advantages just to not do something you should be doing all the time? No reason to ever pick 'Resistance' for a less parrying build, you said it yourself, but they created it and left as it is. It'd be far more interesting if they changed lv 15 choices to both gain bonuses for parry, perhaps one focused on defense buffs and other with offensive buffs. Then you can choose between being a wall that holds the Zeds for your team, or be a melee killing machine.

By the way, level 20 Skill does not give a recoil reduction any more, recoil reduction is now a passive on Commando which increases with each level (since this Haloween update).

Thanks for the head-up,I believe my choice to say 'old commando' wasn't the best to explain that point.

To your point 2): They can currently barely keep the game stable with current seasonal updates. Having more frequent updates would cost more, definitely (to your first point). Even with slight number changes a little bug can sneak in and then make things worse.

Indeed bugs can happen, but not changing in fear of bugs won't make the game live longer, also the PBE is there exactly to test possible issues and fix if possible. And of course, any change or update will cost money even if is something as simple as change one or few numbers in a code line, yet if done well, it'll be a proportionally cheap investiment to keep the game going for longer.

To point 3): Balance without "metas" doesn't exist. It is per definition not possible. "Making all weapons viable" is what they were trying to do by introducing the upgrade system and it ended up being absolutely terrible and now it is still in there. The weapons for not meant to be used that way. But I have to say they did some nice patches with the Husk Canon and HMTech-301 and 201 lately. I hope they will continue this with other weapons.

My english sometimes falls short, my apology. I have 0 knowledge on competitive / pro KF2 scenario (only heard it exists), but considering most of its current play base as non-competitive, balancing the weapons and getting rid of 'meta' would be my suggestion, as explained before (full use of game's weapon and perk set, etc. etc.).

I won't say much about the upgrade system because I don't have any previous research about that specific update and I prefer to avoid giving specific opitions regarding topics I know little about. My only question would it be "If Upgrade system is terrible, why did they kept it? Maybe it is not that bad, or maybe they rather have a bad update than have none?"

Finally, I agree with you with the patches, it gave those weapons more attention, and that is an example of what I meant about small number balances making the game better. I too hope they continue doing it with other weapons

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0