• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design [wip] RSTE-Makin

I haven't visited this part of the forum recently, so I was really surprised to see updates to this map. If you go to the first page of this thread you can see that I posted on here back in 2013 (almost 3 years ago!) about how I loved this map idea.

Well all I have to say is that this looks amazing and even in an unfinished state I can tell it will be better than any other RS map. Thanks for continued efforts to make this map awesome and historically accurate, you guys rock!

Seriously, you guys need to convince TWI to add this as an official map to the game when it's complete.

Upvote 0
I haven't visited this part of the forum recently, so I was really surprised to see updates to this map. If you go to the first page of this thread you can see that I posted on here back in 2013 (almost 3 years ago!) about how I loved this map idea.

Well all I have to say is that this looks amazing and even in an unfinished state I can tell it will be better than any other RS map. Thanks for continued efforts to make this map awesome and historically accurate, you guys rock!

Seriously, you guys need to convince TWI to add this as an official map to the game when it's complete.

Thanks! I appreciate the enthusiasm!

Upvote 0
I will be taking a break for the next week, while twrecks takes a look, and gets some badly need meshes ready. In the meantime, I will be spending more time on a pointe du hoc map, RS:pA and the bazooka, I've just gotten a new model, animations, and other assets courtesy of HotW. In exchange I'll be finalizing the code, and giving them something other than the Placeholder code they currently have. Will also be working on implementing HEAT ballistics, depending on the current code for anti-vehicle projectiles, and what it covers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And here it is:
http://imgur.com/a/d0fo0
(preview lightbuild) The majority of the time spent was coverlinks, and fine tuning. However you should notice some changes :D
Considering I have the entire week off this week, I plan on banging out a pre-alpha, with mostly finished environmental art, pending some meshes that Twrecks needs to make.
Which hopefully will be ready for a pre-alpha test on the Bloodbath servers, BloodMalice has generously offered this, so maybe this Sunday we'll have a surprise!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like it's coming along nicely!
Personally, I'd like to see a bit of ground height variations, like shallow dips and folds in the sand (I guess it's sand?), since the current flat appearance strikes me as a tad gamey, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint. A related suggestion would be to also make the roads and paths appear somewhat 'sunk' into the ground, to represent being well-trodden in the sand, again, if the atoll's surface did indeed mostly consist of sand?

Upvote 0
Looks like it's coming along nicely!
Personally, I'd like to see a bit of ground height variations, like shallow dips and folds in the sand (I guess it's sand?), since the current flat appearance strikes me as a tad gamey, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint. A related suggestion would be to also make the roads and paths appear somewhat 'sunk' into the ground, to represent being well-trodden in the sand, again, if the atoll's surface did indeed mostly consist of sand?
Atolls generally had minimal height variation, I believe the highest point was on the scale of 5-10m for Makin. in palm dense areas, which you can see in a few pictures with nothing but palm trees and foliage, I'll see what I can do. I still have a lot of "fine" details left to do, the first two caps are 90% done (MG's and such need to be added), besides debugging the cover. All the paths except for the American spawn which is on the second terrain actor have "sunken" paths, that's the only one I need to fix.
Later on I'm curious to see if matinee's will affect performance, I'm working on a few ambient ones.
eM4XLT9.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*yawns*
I've spent about the last 6-9 hours in the editor, with an occasional half-hour break, I've gone through probably 5 or 6 save versions, and I've got a lot done.
Of course though Imgur somehow only uploads 15/40 of the pictures....
So there's more stuff done, than shown, most of it that isn't new areas, (a few parts are.) I'll see what I can do about re-uploading it, I'm a bit exhausted at the moment.
Here's the 15/40.
http://imgur.com/a/PlTNA

Upvote 0
Did a lot of setting draw distances today, not much else.
In terms of art, the layout is pretty much done, the only thing that's left is:
minor details here and there
fixup the last cap's trenches
and add art to building interiors

Then there's all the other stuff:
Placing and debugging the cover, (35% done roughly...)
Adding spawns (Twrecks set up the kismet, but I'll have to take a hard look at it, he's already set it up to activate/deactivate spawns, the problem is, those spawns need to be made, and I'm not entirely sure as to what the layout he had in mind is.
Nav Meshes for bot pathing
And a fun glitch with the minimap.
So I'm not entirely sure if I can get it done by Sunday, the entire thing, definitely the first few caps to get a feel of it.

Upvote 0
Here's an update, as you can see scum, the pier has been revamped, removed the Saipan Pier meshes and made a BSP dock and pier, has three Daihatsu's docked on it. (I think it has changed for the better.)
I also removed parts of the adjacent "boardwalks" as I felt it contrasted too much with the pier next to it. It's still there. Just not to the extent it was before.
Also recap on the screenshots that didn't for some reason upload properly.
I'm still waiting on this:
p102.jpg

which is why there's just a blank space next to the radio antenna.
...FFS I need to find a new uploader this is ridiculous.
One picture out of 26...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was working on the kings tower last night :)

Still splitting up stock meshes to build it (lots of palm logs), and will be four seperate static meshes: the block house, crows nest, stair ramp and tall ladder. Already finished the tall ladder.

Will post a screen shot when finished.

I still want to make the white house, yet it's low on my priority list.
It's at 11:53 [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBaG3vkZPxk[/URL]
Kings tower can be seen in the background at 4:02

Upvote 0
FYI, to be accurate. Kings Wharf has Kings Tower and a radar post.
Kind of hard to see, the tower is at the base of the causeway of Kings Wharf (looks like a log house):
USA-A-Makin-p55.jpg

I know Makin is still a WIP, and there's many details I'd like to see included to make it a solid representation before it goes final. ATM, Makin is looking really good. Very close to being a Beta release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was working on the kings tower last night :)

Still splitting up stock meshes to build it (lots of palm logs), and will be four seperate static meshes: the block house, crows nest, stair ramp and tall ladder. Already finished the tall ladder.

Will post a screen shot when finished.

I still want to make the white house, yet it's low on my priority list.
It's at 11:53 [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBaG3vkZPxk[/URL]
Kings tower can be seen in the background at 4:02

Great piece of military footage. More detailed than most.

Upvote 0