• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will you buy the disc version or the Steam version?

Will you buy the disc version or the Steam version?

• Disc

Votes: 52 26.1%
  • Download

Votes: 100 50.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Not getting the game at all

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Both - Added by popular request!

Votes: 26 13.1%

• Total voters
But not to thouse of us who probably can't buy the boxed version, as it is unlikely to be sold in our contries ;)

But if there is a really cool Special-edition, with cool stuff that i'd want, i may look into importing one just to get the extras.
But i'm definately not waiting for an import just to get the game, even if it might be slightly cheaper, that could take a week! I can't wait that long to play HoS! :D

Well I purchased my copy of Red Orchestra: Ostfront' 41-45 in a Bog & Id

Upvote 0
But not to thouse of us who probably can't buy the boxed version, as it is unlikely to be sold in our contries ;)

But if there is a really cool Special-edition, with cool stuff that i'd want, i may look into importing one just to get the extras.
But i'm definately not waiting for an import just to get the game, even if it might be slightly cheaper, that could take a week! I can't wait that long to play HoS! :D

I know, even if its cheaper, I'd get the digital version just to get it faster... unless there is an special boxed edition with stuff.

Upvote 0
Will probably just get it via Steam unless its way way cheaper to get a physical copy or if I can get a guaranteed box copy to me by launch day which is probably doubtful (or even less likely, get one before launch for steam preload.)

Also, guestimaters out there, which would get more % of money to TWI, a pure steam purchase or US (TWI published) boxed copy? Not that there is anything wrong with 1C the euro publishers, just prefer TWI to see as much money as possible :p

Upvote 0
I'm not gonna open a new thread for this, but if a dev reads this...

Could you answer the following question?

How much (%) you get from each unit sold on Steam, and how much (%) you get from each copy sold, of both, the European and the American version. (Or at least whats in your best interest for us to buy)

That would help some of us decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
I doubt they'll give exact numbers, or rough ones especially in regards to steam. :p

From what they and other developers have said in the past, publishing via steam, is much more favourable than with a traditional disc based publisher.

But of course since they are self publishing in the US, so that cuts out the traditional publishers cut, but then you've still got to add in the traditional distribution costs, store cuts and so on. Being steamworks (has that been confirmed yet?) you'd imagine steam will still get a cut on store sales, less than a digital sale, because there are less bandwidth costs for steam as the customer can install from disc, plus the fact steam may have secured a new brick and mortar only customer.

So yeah I'd go with Nimsky and I'd guess steam.

This is pretty informative if basic article for how much of your money goes where for a traditional purchase: 'where does my money go'

And I don't think I can skip this opportunity to link John's 'we're not getting exploited by valve' article. :D

Upvote 0
If I could revote, I'd change my vote to both.

I never bought the boxed version of Ro, because I had the game downloaded the day it came out.... and the boxed versions came a few months later. Only recently, like within the past few weeks, did I learn that packed with the boxed version, there were laminated cards featuring the hitboxes of the tanks, and the maps.

If HOS boxed version has this type of extra, I will really try to pick it up. :D

Upvote 0
I'd rather buy the game in a store and then donate the money to TWI I save by not buying on steam ^^ =). I bet TWI get's the most that way?

I would think the steam version might be more; boxed sets are not only slightly cheaper in some countries, but also take out transportation and manufacturing costs. That pile on top of all the middle-men and stores that cut off profit peices, I'm not too sure. Steam, being a quick, instant, digital transfer with only Valve to snatch a peice would be better for TWI, but thats my guess.

Upvote 0
The one million dollar question is then, why the heck does it cost more to buy via steam?

I cannot see the logic behind that...

Because Steam is an upgbrade for most ppl.
Easy patching, download the first minute after release, friends and chat, a lot of sales and easy acces to all games.

The pricing is based on the product you get, not how much the product actually costs to fabricate.

The same is true for most products; when you price your beer very low due to low manufacture costs, people will think it is of very low quality.

Upvote 0
Because Steam is an upgbrade for most ppl.
Easy patching, download the first minute after release, friends and chat, a lot of sales and easy acces to all games.

The pricing is based on the product you get, not how much the product actually costs to fabricate.

The same is true for most products; when you price your beer very low due to low manufacture costs, people will think it is of very low quality.

Not really, most boxed versions today are made to be used with Steam anyway, so in the end it is the same Steam version + a box

Upvote 0