• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Will RO2 use DX10?

Yeah, I'm one of the (probably many) people who have a rig that runs most games well enough under XP, but there's no way I can sacrifice the potential 20% loss in framerates in going to Windows 7 with DX11.

So I'm hoping the DX9 version still looks good.

Dx10-11 contains a lot of performance improvements compared to dx9 so it should run at a higher frame rate granted the same effects are displayed. But of course you will loose performance if you turn on dx11 effects like tessellation.

I would be happy if Open Gl was being used, but that's only cause I don't like the iron grip of the pc gaming market Microsoft created with direct 3d.

Upvote 0
John Carmack said that DX9 was not used up to its full potential and would still contain enough abilities for devs atm. (while giving an interview on Rage and company policies)
He is definately not some guru to follow but i would give his opinion some credits.

I think screenshots so far have not disappointed us at all!!! To the contrary,
I can easily stand not having tessalation effects on/in the water while driving my pz3 through it, if game mechanics combine to form the immersive package RO did :IS2:

Upvote 0
As far as I know, Win XP doesn't support DX 10 either.

Ahh, but it does!

The only reason XP can't use DX10, is because MS needed a carrot to dangle in front of us so we'd go buy Wndows Vista, and thus, they deliberately sabotaged XP support.

But there does exist 3'rd party workarounds that enable it to work on XP, slightly shady though they may be.. ;)

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Ahh, but it does!

The only reason XP can't use DX10, is because MS needed a carrot to dangle in front of us so we'd go buy Wndows Vista, and thus, they deliberately sabotaged XP support.

But there does exist 3'rd party workarounds that enable it to work on XP, slightly shady though they may be.. ;)

Unfortunately that carrot is starting to look good to me :mad:.

In layman terms, what all would DX11 bring to the table?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that carrot is starting to look good to me :mad:.

In layman terms, what all would DX11 bring to the table?
The no DX10 on XP was not some scheme by MS - that is ridiculous. It was and is impractical to re-architect XP to do all that was brought to the table with DX10. MS said so, and the DX10 on XP stuff from the ALKY group, later Falling Leaf, and now the junk pawned off by some Russian hacks are all from the same original guys. Big plans for MAC / LINUX / Windows game support, later changed to be a project just for DX10 on XP, later changed to "we bit off more than we could chew, Microsoft was right, we give up, sorry if you sent us money...bye", leaving the Russian (Georgian) crap scraps of ALKY pawned off as their own. Junk.

In any case, bottom line, there really is nothing DX10/DX11 offers visually that can't be rendered using DX9. The issue is it can be vastly simpler and more efficient for the developer to do in DX10/11, and they are unlikely to spend the time to build a separate render path for DX9 that 'looks' the same. Not to mention, the performance hit to make a DX9 render path do all the things that can be easily / efficiently done in DX10/11 ranges from somewhat heavy to utterly unusable. There are a few things that really are impractical with DX9, but it starts to get technical, and you asked for simple...

So, if you want the real eye candy, more and more you will require DX10/11 capable hardware and OS environment.

Upvote 0
Remember, you can allways dual boot.

I'll be building a new rig soon, and i plan to do just that, so i have Win XP 32-bit that will run all my old stuff, and i can still do retro gaming very easilly, and then have Win-7 64-bit to run all the cutting edge stuff.

Time will tell which boot ends up beeing my favorite "i just want to browse the net and stuffs" boot, i think it'll be XP, but we'll see..

Upvote 0
I'll be building a new rig soon, and i plan to do just that, so i have Win XP 32-bit that will run all my old stuff, and i can still do retro gaming very easilly, and then have Win-7 64-bit to run all the cutting edge stuff.

What would exactly be the advantage of 32-bit win-7? 64-bit can play 32-bit programs as well so... is the performance better when running 32-bit programs on 32-bit win7?

I would be happy if Open Gl was being used, but that's only cause I don't like the iron grip of the pc gaming market Microsoft created with direct 3d.

What exactly are direct3d and opengl, are those drivers or something?

Tesselation is awesome btw if the game uses it right.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0